Painted Headlights Mod - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exterior Appearance Mods Discuss exterior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4,437, Level: 42 Points: 4,437, Level: 42 Points: 4,437, Level: 42
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Cool Painted Headlights Mod

So the other day I though of the idea to paint, or in my case, tint spray the front headlights excluding the area of where the high and low beam lights would shine through.
I just don't want to risk anything with removing my headlights, baking them, and then having to paint the dull silver area inside the headlight. Ive already measured out the area so that no light will be interfered with so I'm thinking it should work out!

I was thinking of something along these lines except on the outside of the headlight cover. (left headlight in picture)
What do you guys think about the idea?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitledf-1.jpg
Views:	3201
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	3191  

Last edited by a49erFan; 02-20-2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: enlarged photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Points: 8,022, Level: 60 Points: 8,022, Level: 60 Points: 8,022, Level: 60
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
All that matters is that you like it. Personally, I don't, but that doesn't matter.
post #3 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Points: 8,145, Level: 60 Points: 8,145, Level: 60 Points: 8,145, Level: 60
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

If you use a tint spray it will probably come out a bit more transparent than that. Also, you'll need to give some careful thought to how you are going to mask the areas you don't want painted and how possible it is to get a clean, sharp line. I'd also consider whether the line between the tinted and untinted part will eventually cause the tint to start flaking.

You might get a piece of clear plastic and experiment with masking and spraying technique before taking it to your real headlights. Also, to test the durability you might mask a circle on a piece of clear plastic and tint around it - then attach that to your front bumper in a discreet place and drive around with it for a few months to see how it holds up.

BTW, where did you find that image? I photochopped that for somebody some time ago to simulate painting the inside of the headlight. :-)

post #4 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 08:27 PM
Points: 8,022, Level: 60 Points: 8,022, Level: 60 Points: 8,022, Level: 60
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
2WD
I doubt he wants to drive around with a piece of tinted plastic on his bumper for a few months before deciding to do this.

What I would do is make a template and see how the tint affects the light output. Are you going for really dark black?
post #5 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjones View Post
If you use a tint spray it will probably come out a bit more transparent than that. Also, you'll need to give some careful thought to how you are going to mask the areas you don't want painted and how possible it is to get a clean, sharp line. I'd also consider whether the line between the tinted and untinted part will eventually cause the tint to start flaking.

You might get a piece of clear plastic and experiment with masking and spraying technique before taking it to your real headlights. Also, to test the durability you might mask a circle on a piece of clear plastic and tint around it - then attach that to your front bumper in a discreet place and drive around with it for a few months to see how it holds up.

BTW, where did you find that image? I photochopped that for somebody some time ago to simulate painting the inside of the headlight. :-)
Yeah exactly I didn't think about it flaking but but maybe an extra 1 or 2 layers of protective clear coat going about an half an inch past the tint would possibly do the trick? But I've had my front turn markers tinted for a couple months now and they've been holding up quite well so I think they should be durable enough to withstand debris and dirt, and of course rocks on the highway!

Haha! And yeah I snagged that off your post about a Headlight Assy upgrade made by Oklajeep I believe, Not a bad photchop!
post #6 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandl View Post
I doubt he wants to drive around with a piece of tinted plastic on his bumper for a few months before deciding to do this.

What I would do is make a template and see how the tint affects the light output. Are you going for really dark black?
hahaha very true, but I just used a program to measure out perfect circles and carefully used an exacto to cut them. The circles will then be attached maybe with a light removable spray adhesive for where the light will be protruding through, but aside from that the circles are just wide enough so it wont affect the light output of the headlights so it wont matter how dark the tint is! Its like the stencil effect. But I'm probably going to make it pretty dark since it wont really matter the shade.
post #7 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 12:14 AM
Points: 17,117, Level: 83 Points: 17,117, Level: 83 Points: 17,117, Level: 83
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%

Own a Commander?: No
Trim Package: Sport
2WD
What tint spray are you using? I tried nightshades on an old headlight and it spray like a greenish tint and didn't darken the area to what I wanted.
post #8 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 12:26 AM
Points: 9,018, Level: 63 Points: 9,018, Level: 63 Points: 9,018, Level: 63
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

Why don't you get a piece of plexi-glass from home depot. You can cut it to the shape of the headlight even heat it up and bend it a bit. Then cut the circles in it for the high and low beams. Paint the back side black and two way tape or Velcro them to your headlights. If you velcro you can remove them when you want.

2006 Jeep Commander, 5.7 Hemi, OME 2" HD Lift,Robby spacers,New and improved Jeepin by AL UCA,265/70/17 Fierce Attitude on XD Spy 17x8 with +18 offset,Magnaflow Cat Back,4xGaurd Matrix w/hoop,Mopar Chrome side steps, Chrome door handles,Chrome Fuel door,Chrome Jeep bug deflector,AVS window vents,Home made roof lightbar, 2009 Mygig with lockpick,Backup camera.

Last edited by D-niceCommander; 02-21-2010 at 12:29 AM.
post #9 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YB Normyl View Post
What tint spray are you using? I tried nightshades on an old headlight and it spray like a greenish tint and didn't darken the area to what I wanted.
I'm using the Nightshades spray tint. I've never had any problems with it and I've done 4 or 5 different sets of lights. Most vehicles have a section of clear plastic where the reverse light is located on the back and tinting over that hasn't ever been a problem. But maybe you had an older type of night shades, because I recently saw the change in design on the can, maybe they changed the tint spray properties or something like that LOL!

Also depending on how old the headlight was and if it had previous discoloration before spraying might also have caused the greenish color

But if it stops raining tomorrow hopefully I can get a start to it and post some pics on how its going!
post #10 of 110 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 01:53 AM
Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%

The guy that's getting ready to paint my turn signals tossed out the same idea of lightly smoking the main area where the headlight shines through and fading it darker (to black) on the rest of the lens.
My biggest problem with this is that the concept only looks good (imo) if you are standing right in front of the jeep; anywhere else and the perspective shows through to the "wrong" part of the housing. I like the idea of removing the lens, painting the inside, and reassembling the unit- I just don't want to go first.
For a mock-up, though, I suggest using the 5% static cling tint film you can find at Wal-Mart. I used this when I was working out designs for my tails/turn signals and for $12 it gave a pretty realistic preview of how it can look and possible remaining light output. It was easy to manipulate and stuck on pretty well for about a week.
Here's an old sample of my test run (there's a couple more in the album). Aren't the baby Fortera's cute?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user15339_pic1245_1249538761.jpg
Views:	1069
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	3192  

Last edited by Kansas1230; 02-21-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Tags
headlight , modification , mods , paint , tint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in