Do the Silverstar Ultras beat this close to HID look? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exterior Appearance Mods Discuss exterior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,508, Level: 22 Points: 1,508, Level: 22 Points: 1,508, Level: 22
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Talking Do the Silverstar Ultras beat this close to HID look?

Check out this philips website.. there are two sets of lights that i believe may be better than the Silverstar Ultras.. I never seen them in person (that i know of) but yet they do look close to HID. Tell me what u guys think and tell me what headlight I should go with...SU ... Or either these phillips bulbs.. let me know thanks...

SU's
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...otiveLighting/

Brighter than Silverstar Ultras?
http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/...tremepower.php

I am also going to have pictures soon but since im only 16 i dont have much time with school and work. I am getting 2 12inch Alpine type-Rs installed with alpine 1000 watt amp this friday. Also, they are hooking up the mopar i pod integration so i will let u know how that works out! If anyone needs sites or has any questions let me know... thanks!

Last edited by IDJ5I; 11-29-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Points: 1,687, Level: 23 Points: 1,687, Level: 23 Points: 1,687, Level: 23
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%

Re: Do the Silverstar Ultras beat this close to HID look?

Ive got the HID model... not these exactly but they work great. I know there are plenty of people on this forum using the Stars and swear by them as well. I think either way you will do fine. If you believe in ads then according to this web site the HID's would be brighter. 200% vs. 80% more light.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 02:45 AM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

If you have state safety inspections you will want to probably avoid HIDs. There are no DOT approved aftermarket HID kits for the Commander. The HID kits you can buy online are specifically for off-road or show use.

Some people do use them on road but you are risking failing a state safety inspection. If you are in a state without safety inspections you can probably run them with no problems as long as they are aimed properly.

Also you can not just take those HID bulbs and drop them in the Commander. You have to buy a complete ballast and ignitor kit.

I love the Silverstar ULTRAs in the XKs already decent reflectors. They are not HIDs but as close as you will probably get in a DOT-approved package. I do not have experience with the X-treme Power bulbs. If anyone does have a comparison, please post it.

2007 Jeep Commander Limited, 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 1955 Willys Jeep Pickup (Restoration Project), 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicontrail.net
If you have state safety inspections you will want to probably avoid HIDs. There are no DOT approved aftermarket HID kits for the Commander. The HID kits you can buy online are specifically for off-road or show use.

Some people do use them on road but you are risking failing a state safety inspection. If you are in a state without safety inspections you can probably run them with no problems as long as they are aimed properly.

Also you can not just take those HID bulbs and drop them in the Commander. You have to buy a complete ballast and ignitor kit.

I love the Silverstar ULTRAs in the XKs already decent reflectors. They are not HIDs but as close as you will probably get in a DOT-approved package. I do not have experience with the X-treme Power bulbs. If anyone does have a comparison, please post it.
RubiconTrail I see you are saying there are no HID's that are DOT approved. Eurodezign makes them.... unless they are lying in their advertisements (which I guess is possible but I don't think that is the case). I bought these for my fog lamps and wish all of my lights were this brand.... next purchase.

~~ DOT Approved
(Only bulbs on the market with DOT approval)

~~ Replaces your current stock bulbs(Just a simple bulb exchange). Quick and easy to install, no modifications needed, anyone can do it!

~~ No Special Wiring Required

~~ Great for Cars, Trucks, Vans, Etc.

~~100% Safe to use on all Motorcycles and Vehicles

~~High quality XENON gas and KRYPTON charged HID lamp

~~100% Street Legal in ALL 50 U.S. States
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 09:46 AM
Points: 2,061, Level: 27 Points: 2,061, Level: 27 Points: 2,061, Level: 27
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockette
RubiconTrail I see you are saying there are no HID's that are DOT approved. Eurodezign makes them.... unless they are lying in their advertisements (which I guess is possible but I don't think that is the case). I bought these for my fog lamps and wish all of my lights were this brand.... next purchase.

~~ DOT Approved
(Only bulbs on the market with DOT approval)

~~ Replaces your current stock bulbs(Just a simple bulb exchange). Quick and easy to install, no modifications needed, anyone can do it!

~~ No Special Wiring Required

~~ Great for Cars, Trucks, Vans, Etc.

~~100% Safe to use on all Motorcycles and Vehicles

~~High quality XENON gas and KRYPTON charged HID lamp

~~100% Street Legal in ALL 50 U.S. States
If there are not ballasts involved then they are not really HID lamps.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockette
As kfbagt said, if they do not have a ballast they are not HID. Eurodezigns may not be lying about their DOT approval but they are doing a bit of false advertising about them being HID.

Like fluorescent lamps, HID lamps require a ballast to start and maintain their arcs.

To date, NHTSA has investigated 24 HID conversion kit suppliers; all investigations have resulted in recalls or termination of sales. The only ones that I know that are still producing are marketing them for off-road and show use only which allows them to continue production. They clearly state on their web sites that they are not legal for on-road use.

2007 Jeep Commander Limited, 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 1955 Willys Jeep Pickup (Restoration Project), 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rubicontrail.net; 11-28-2006 at 09:56 AM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicontrail.net
As kfbagt said, if they do not have a ballast they are not HID. Eurodezigns may not be lying about their DOT approval but they are doing a bit of false advertising about them being HID.

Like fluorescent lamps, HID lamps require a ballast to start and maintain their arcs.

To date, NHTSA has investigated 24 HID conversion kit suppliers; all investigations have resulted in recalls or termination of sales. The only ones that I know that are still producing are marketing them for off-road and show use only which allows them to continue production. They clearly state on their web sites that they are not legal for on-road use.
Agreed and they do not require any re-wiring but the lights are very bright and far superior to OEM lighting which is what I think the original post was seeking. I'm not sure I have ever seen an advertisement for anything that didn't exaggerate a bit. I should have stated HID appearance in my reply above but then again I was looking at the advertisement and got on the track of thinking that they want you to. Either way I am extremely happy with mine and they are a very cost effective way of getting that HID look and much better night driving view than original. I've been running mine for 8 months or so as I took them out of my prevous set of wheels before trading it in on the Commander.

Last edited by crockette; 11-28-2006 at 12:42 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Points: 3,952, Level: 40 Points: 3,952, Level: 40 Points: 3,952, Level: 40
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%

TRUST ME HERE. I had the Eurodezigns myself, which I purchased through ebay. The light output of the Eurodezigns is NOWHERE near the light output of the Silverstars. They are sitting on my other's car trunk. They do have a blueish tint to it, but the Silverstars are way, but way brighter that the Eurodezigns. Just a piece of advice from the kindness of my heart. The Eurodezigns bulbs are blue tinted. Just common sense should tell you that any tint on the bulb will reduce light output. I wish I thought of it myself before I purchased them. There is another type HIR (by Toshiba), people claim are indeed brighter than the Siverstars. But I never tried those myself.

This is some info on them:

Quote:
Whats the deal with HIR bulbs?
They were invented by General Electric a few years ago. An HIR bulb differs from a standard Halogen bulb by the fact that they have a reflective infra red coating with primary purpose of reflecting heat back to the filament.
They are being markeded under these names:
9011 HIR1, high beam, 2500lm bright at 13,2 (+/-15%) Volts
9012 HIR2, low beam, 1875lm bright at 13,2 (+/-15%) Volts

So far its used on OEM applications only: Dodge Vipers high beams and Toyota Camry (unofficial). Dont excpect them to show up at Pep Boys or Canadian Tire anytime soon. Go to a Viper dealer, John Deere tractor dealer, or the Toyota dealer, or any other authorized GE dealer that carries automotive line bulbs. Price on each bulb is probably around what an HID bulb goes for, USD 100-200.

On the aftermarked, an HIR bulb has showd up in the 9005 and 9006 base version, which is different from 9011 and 9012 base standard. It is markedet under the "Polarg" brand name. Check out SPW Industries for details. The question is if Polarg is using the GE glasspack and selling them under their own name, or if its their in house brand. Generally, Polarg products have avarage quality, so our speculations goes towards the latter. The first quarter of 2003, the japanese company Vestec also started selling a product that may also very well go into the HIR category: "HID-R Day Light 9006" IF YOU WANT THE REAL HIR bulbs get the original GE HIR bulbs and re-base them with correct focal position to work in your fixtures on your car.

Last edited by Dabitz; 11-28-2006 at 01:29 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 01:28 PM

Hmmmm I'll have to take your word for it until the next time I need lights.. Mine aren't just blue they are bright. The headlights I bought were not Eurodezigns and they are a pure white but I don't think near as bright as the Eurodezigns. I guess you all are convincing me to try something else next time I need a bulb. What is in the pic, silverstars? I know those don't look like mine as mine do not have the round bulb shape in the middle.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Points: 3,952, Level: 40 Points: 3,952, Level: 40 Points: 3,952, Level: 40
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%

No, those pics are the HIR (GE / Toshiba) that are indeed brighter than Silverstars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in