Rocky Road Super Sliders - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exterior Appearance Mods Discuss exterior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Rocky Road Super Sliders

Their website says they are strong, but what about the mounting points on the Jeep? Where exactly do they bolt up, is the mounting setup strong, and are they truly a bolt-on application ? Finally , are they worth the money, or do 'yall recommend another brand ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Points: 9,601, Level: 65 Points: 9,601, Level: 65 Points: 9,601, Level: 65
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

I have them and they have taken a lot of big hits. You do have to drill a few holes in the frame. If you like the look, they are strong.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: HueyPilotVN
I used to have a set. They bolted right up and I liked them. They seemed strong. Lee wanted something a little easier to use as a step because she has trouble getting into the Commander and the nerf bars sit out farther than the Super Sliders. I replaced them with chrome nerf bars with black steps. I do know that several forum members seem to like them also. The Super Sliders are better for protecting your Commander.

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away...and got it back again.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 12:41 AM
Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty1970 View Post
Their website says they are strong, but what about the mounting points on the Jeep? Where exactly do they bolt up, is the mounting setup strong, and are they truly a bolt-on application ? Finally , are they worth the money, or do 'yall recommend another brand ?
https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7982&highlight=supersliders&page= 4
I don't think there is another brand available for the Commander.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

Last edited by jeep5253; 04-17-2010 at 12:50 AM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Thanks guys.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

what about 4XGuard's side guards? they dont count?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCMP View Post
what about 4XGuard's side guards? they dont count?
They are not the same kind of product as the sliders, which is what Smitty is asking about.

Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 11:17 PM
Points: 4,310, Level: 41 Points: 4,310, Level: 41 Points: 4,310, Level: 41
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

If you have a lift I recommend the RR sliders. They make an excellent jacking point for a High Lift jack.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Points: 4,258, Level: 41 Points: 4,258, Level: 41 Points: 4,258, Level: 41
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
They are not the same kind of product as the sliders, which is what Smitty is asking about.
I'll continue to disagree with this blanket statement that you have repeated elsewhere. It doesn't matter to me what product Smitty or anyone else chooses to use, but I think it's best to keep the facts out there and let people make up their own minds based on their own needs.

1. Both products (and some others, too) protect the breakover angle and the full length of the rocker panel.

2. Both are designed to take the full weight of the vehicle.

I would humbly suggest that these are the primary goals of any product mounted in this area of the vehicle. To say they are "not the same kind of product" thus strikes me as a tremendously misleading statement without some serious qualification. Nerf bars like Huey uses now, RR's Super Sliders, RR's Rock Rails, 4xG's Side Guards ... they're all essentially doing the same thing.

Are they exactly the same products? Of course not. But are they the same types of products? I'd say they absolutely are.

So what are the differences?

1. Both RR's and 4xG's products can be used for side jacking points (nerf bars aren't all created equal in this regard, but I imagine Huey's can certainly be used this way). I believe the Side Guards, however, are the only one of these products to have built-in gusseted slots that "hold" a HiLift-type jack in place; all the rest, on the other hand, only have a smooth surface to jack against. The difference here is that the smooth surfaces are liable to result in the jack falling out at the most inopportune and often dangerous time -- something I've actually seen happen on the trail.

2. RR's Sliders stick out horizontally further from the body, meaning that if your vehicle actually fell over sideways into a rock they'll do a better job than the Side Guards in protecting the body above the rocker panel. RR's Rock Rails do the least good in this regard. 4xG's product -- and some nerf bars -- are in the medium range. (Nobody makes a "stinger" that mounts on the side of the Commander!)

3. RR's Sliders and Rock Rails, as well as all the nerf bars I've seen, all mount off holes drilled into the frame. This kind of mounting means you're lowering your ground clearance at the breakover angle, which is already the weakest link in the Commander's off-road capabilities. 4xG's Side Guards are the only product that not only doesn't lower this clearance but actually raises it in comparison to stock.

4. With the exception of RR's Rock Rails, all the products discussed here -- RR's Sliders, 4xG's Side Guards, and most nerf bars -- can be utilized as a step. They aren't all equal, though: all but the Side Guards are extended "tubes" one way or another. For many folks it's a non-issue, but as a dog owner I don't want a gap between the step and the vehicle. Too many pets have had legs broken by trying to clamber into a vehicle and having a paw slip through the slot.

Like all the accessory decisions we make, there's give-and-take. No product is perfect. We make our choices based on our own personal experiences and tastes. In all my years of Jeeping, I've never once dropped my vehicle on its side. If you do this regularly, though, you might want to get RR's Super Sliders (or, you know, drive better). While I'm always anxious to maximize my clearance, maybe you don't care. Maybe you don't have a dog and only care about having a really low step. So then perhaps you'll choose a product that fits that route. Maybe you just like the looks of one product or another. So go with it.

I just want everyone to be able to make their own decisions with all the pertinent facts in hand.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 01:58 PM

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cid
2. RR's Sliders stick out horizontally further from the body, meaning that if your vehicle actually fell over sideways into a rock they'll do a better job than the Side Guards in protecting the body above the rocker panel. RR's Rock Rails do the least good in this regard. 4xG's product -- and some nerf bars -- are in the medium range. (Nobody makes a "stinger" that mounts on the side of the Commander!)
And therefore are NOT the same type of product. And since your father manufactures the 4xG's Side Guards I can understand you trying to promote them but don't say they are the same when they are not.

Last edited by jeep5253; 05-12-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in