Yakima Rail Rider towers/round bars on factory rails - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exterior Appearance Mods Discuss exterior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Points: 5,186, Level: 46 Points: 5,186, Level: 46 Points: 5,186, Level: 46
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Yakima Rail Rider towers/round bars on factory rails

As promised, here is the write-up. I wanted to make the Yakima cross-bars work with my factory rails but Yakima does not offer a set of towers to work with our XK rails. My local Yakima dealer wanted to drill holes in the outside edge of the rails and install the 1A tower adapters. I did not want to drill any holes plus I wanted to be able to adjust the distance between the cross-bars for different accessories.

My solution was;

To make a set of plates that the Yakima Rail Rider towers could be bolted to and then clamped into the factory rails.

I got all of the hardware needed at the local hardware store, they are;

1) 1-1/2"x1/8"x48" long piece of flat aluminum
8) 1/4"x20x1" button head stainless steel bolts
8) 1/4"x20 stainless steel lock nuts
8) 5/16"x18x1-1/4" button head stainless steel bolts
8) 5/16"x18 stainless steel lock nuts
8) 5/16" I.D x 1/2" long nylon spacers
4) Yakima rail rider towers and 2 crossbars of your choice, mine are 64" I believe.

First, take the 48" piece of aluminum flat bar and divide it into (8) 6" long pieces and make your cuts. I used my horizontal metal saw but a hack saw will work.

Second, drill the plates equally. I clamped all 8 plates in my drill press vice and drilled the holes through all 8 plates at one time, you will need a hole at each end of the plate and centered on the plate, this hole needs to be 5/16" dia.
You will need (2) 1/4" holes drilled centered on the plates for the rail rider towers

The plates will look like this; Also note the nylon spacers in the pic, this is what you need to pick up at the hardware store.

Mount the rail rider towers to 4 of the plates like this;

Now mount the towers to the XK rails using the extra 4 plates under the lower lip of the XK rails. Use the nylon spacers to prevent over-tightening and crushing the rails. They should look like this installed;

I left everything loose until the crossbars were fed into the towers then tightened it all down. Here is the finished rack ready to haul our canoe and kayaks to the river.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Great job ! Very ingenious.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 11:43 AM
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
Very nice! A lot more versatile than the stock or sport utility cross bars, and lower clearance too.

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Here it is with the canoe on one side and my fishing rod mounts on the other side. My son and i are going to take in a small lake this afternoon. I can fit 2 touring kayaks with the stackers on the drivers side if I want to. I mounted the canoe on the pass side so i can see stop lights easlily.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Just a review from today. I hauled the canoe to the James River for some fishing/paddling. I had to run interstate (70 mph), back roads and even dirt/gravel roads getting to the river. The rack did fine and I was able to haul the canoe without any stern/bow straps. I kept a close watch on the canoe through the sunroof and there was some slight buffeting but it stayed tight and hauled easily. The Mad River canoe weighs about #90.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Points: 473, Level: 9 Points: 473, Level: 9 Points: 473, Level: 9
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

good idea and great execution.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 04:03 AM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

love to see people making there own stuff instead of buying stuff off the shelf good job man

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Points: 5,885, Level: 49 Points: 5,885, Level: 49 Points: 5,885, Level: 49
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%

The Commanders do look sweet all loaded up with goodies. I love driving up North on the way to camping with my mountain bikes on the rear rack and the canoe or kayaks on the top. You pass all the suckers that are up to nothing and you can sense their wishes that they were doing the same!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

Great Minds Think Alike?

I was simply shocked to find out Yakima didn't make towers. Since I've had a growing collection of round bars, towers, bike trays over the last 20 years and five vehicles (three Jeeps among them) I wouldn't know what to do without 'em: kayak, canoe, skis, bikes - where do you put 'em if not on the roof?

Holes in a new car roof? Really?

Anyway, I already had the rail riders (from my ZJ) and the same idea so I was really glad to see the detailed write-up on the inserts. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Yakima, are you paying attention?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Thank You! A year later now and the rack is still doing well with plenty of hauling miles on it. Another few weeks and it will be paddling weather again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in