Has anyone tried Rocky Road Supersliders? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exterior Appearance Mods Discuss exterior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,951, Level: 26 Points: 1,951, Level: 26 Points: 1,951, Level: 26
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Has anyone tried Rocky Road Supersliders?

I am thinking of installing some rock sliders on the XK. Has anyone used the products from Rocky Road? Are there any that are preferred for our trucks out there? Did a few searches and not much came up on this subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Points: 7,293, Level: 56 Points: 7,293, Level: 56 Points: 7,293, Level: 56
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

I had the Supersliders on for two years. They're heavy (about 55 pounds per side), but they are strong as advertised. They take up about 2.5" of rocker clearance below the plastic kickboard, which ultimately I found to be a disadvantage. I 'used' them quite often off road and they held up well, but I think I made contact more than necessary due to their below-the-rocker position. I've taken them off in anticipation of installing the sideguards from 4xGuard once they are available. (By the way, how are those things coming along, Mike? ) Those use a different mounting method, actually increasing rocker clearance by removing the plastic kickboard and covering the entire rocker area with the slider. In theory, I should make rocker/rock contact much less often due to 3"+ more rocker clearance (when compared to the supersliders), but if I do, there will be protection to take the hit. RR has caught a lot of flak for some of their products but the supersliders are a good value, I think. My brother and I are going to cut up the supersliders, re-fab the mounting stems and put them on his '98 ZJ. He's got a pretty big lift and a bunch of rocker clearance, so they're a better fit for him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
06 Limited, 4"SL+SSR, Deaver front coils, 285 KM2's, winch, GL bumper, AFE, FM50 - SOLD July,2012...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that feedback! I saw the 4XGuard and really liked the design, but not offered yet for the XK as you said - if they were I would be buying a pair.

I don't have the lift you do and am concerned about the below side rail mounting as you said. However with lack of any better design out there right now (all the others seem to be not as durable), the RR seem to be a good value. Who knows, maybe this will be the final nudge I need to get a 4" lift!

I know RR has had some bad PR but I can tell you from experience (I have their lift) that they have really stood behind thier product and given me nothing but first rate customer service when needed. Guess that counts for something.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Points: 7,293, Level: 56 Points: 7,293, Level: 56 Points: 7,293, Level: 56
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

Absolutely, it's good to hear someone with a good experience from them. And again, I know for certain my supersliders saved my arse more than a couple times, so they were worth the money. But I never did get over the fact that I lifted the jeep 4", then negated at least 2.5" of that gain with the supersliders for a net increase of only about 1.5"+ of rocker clearance (not taking tires into account). But they did take some good hits...

06 Limited, 4"SL+SSR, Deaver front coils, 285 KM2's, winch, GL bumper, AFE, FM50 - SOLD July,2012...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
I have the RR Super sliders (4xGuard not available 3 years ago). I agree that they do hang lower then I would like but I can tell you from experience that they are heavy duty and protect the side of your rig from anything. I have hit and slid on them many times and have been very thankful that they were there.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

I think 4xGuard has them available for the XK now....if not they are very close. They made a prototype for testing and I think they need to tweak it a bit for production. You may want to check them out.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

4XG still not showing sliders available for the XK.

a49erFan - are you still running the RR 2.25 lift? You have done many of the mods that I am thinking of so hope you dont mind if I PM you for some thoughts....
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Points: 4,258, Level: 41 Points: 4,258, Level: 41 Points: 4,258, Level: 41
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%

4xGuard is indeed offering them very soon. For a sneak peek, see here:

http://www.xk-forum.com/showthread.p...rds-for-the-XK
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Ok so at risk of sounding like a d*ck, what is very soon? It's just that I have a few trips planned that require me to order something within the next day or so (the aforemented rail supplier requires 2 weeks + shipping time). I think these look outstanding and from what I have just read, provide plenty of protection.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Points: 4,258, Level: 41 Points: 4,258, Level: 41 Points: 4,258, Level: 41
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%

I don't think I can get much more specific on this forum, StrokeZ, except to make the general statement that while manufacturer wait times can vary, 3 weeks is a pretty good guess for something like a rock rail once it enters the production queue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in