Spare Tire mount on stock crossbars, Project - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exterior Appearance Mods Discuss exterior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 150000
Spare Tire mount on stock crossbars, Project

I'm doing little project to mount second spare tire on stock cross bars ,, and I would share my plan with you for any advise or help.

I have a third cross bar left over from my previous Commander and the idea is to get all three cross bars close to each other and mount the tire on them and attaching the tire to the middle one.

The appearance:..

I put the third cross bar on and test fit the tire one them to see how it would look like ... here are some pics from different sides ....

from the side ,,, I think I should move the whole setup little forward !

The tire is not centered very well as its still loose ..

The Mount:....

For the mount I plan to drill a hole in the middle bar and use a 16mm bolt to attach the tire with the bar.

The photo below shows how the bolt, nuts and washers will be assembled ... (mounted outside the bar for demonstration only, it will go in the hole)

The below two nuts will be soldered to each side if the bar with their washers to be one peace and painted black .

A big washer will be used at the other side on the bolt to hold the tire as shown in this photo ..

In the photo I got two ready made washers (small and big) to fill the hole ... but I will rather make custom made washer to and welded it to the bolt as well to be one peace.

My next task is to drill the hole and make the needed welding on the bar and bolt. but before that I would hear your comments and advices wither to go for this setup or make some changes.

Should I be worried about wither this mount is strong enough to hold the tire in place in harsh breaking and deceleration and strong pumps ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 06:47 AM
Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
Current Mileage: HueyPilotVN
The weak link may be the crossbar. In a sudden stop the crossbar might break and allow the spare tire to come flying forward. I would not be good to possibly hit another car and then send a tire flying into them. What is the crossbar made from? The idea is fine but perhaps you should attach a piece of metal to all three crossbars and spread the shear load between them. Your new XK looks alot like mine.

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away...and got it back again.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
I like your idea Ahmed. I was thinking along the same lines as Huey.

I dont think you can weld the 2 metals together, steel in the nut and
aluminum cross bar.

But if you replace the center bar with a piece of steel, you could have the
nut welded on and get more strength.

Or maybe put a steel reinforcement bar on the underside of the cross
member. Then you could weld the nut to the bar and screw the bar onto
the underside of the crossmember. This would add strength. Wouldnt have to be very thick. Maybe 1/8" x 2" x 24" . If this is a viable idea, someone else
may have better idea on the size.

You could add a cargo carrier and put the tire up there and have room for other stuff.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100

Model year: 2007
4WD
Current Mileage: 150000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyPilotVN View Post
The weak link may be the crossbar. In a sudden stop the crossbar might break and allow the spare tire to come flying forward. I would not be good to possibly hit another car and then send a tire flying into them. What is the crossbar made from? The idea is fine but perhaps you should attach a piece of metal to all three crossbars and spread the shear load between them. Your new XK looks alot like mine.

Opps ,, you are right, a front impact would be the strongest force on such setup ! ... then I should keep the tire deflated to reduce the impact .. just jocking

I might add two strong straps to tight the front and rear tire portions to the front and rear bars. that will help secure the tire on place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
I like your idea Ahmed. I was thinking along the same lines as Huey.

I dont think you can weld the 2 metals together, steel in the nut and
aluminum cross bar.

But if you replace the center bar with a piece of steel, you could have the
nut welded on and get more strength.

Or maybe put a steel reinforcement bar on the underside of the cross
member. Then you could weld the nut to the bar and screw the bar onto
the underside of the crossmember. This would add strength. Wouldnt have to be very thick. Maybe 1/8" x 2" x 24" . If this is a viable idea, someone else
may have better idea on the size.

You could add a cargo carrier and put the tire up there and have room for other stuff.
It didn't come to mind the issue of two metals can't be welded !! What about flipping the bolt up side down and secure the bolt in hole and the bar using a nut above the bar and using the other nut and washer to fix the tire?

Making custom steel bar and using cargo carrier are two good options .. I just wanted to make a simple solution and with minimum cost.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Points: 7,842, Level: 59 Points: 7,842, Level: 59 Points: 7,842, Level: 59
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
Current Mileage: 33000
One thought that might affect you, is if it rains, will water collecting in the wheel hub drain out?
If not, you might have electrolisis between the steel bolt and the aluminum wheel.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Points: 2,121, Level: 27 Points: 2,121, Level: 27 Points: 2,121, Level: 27
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%

Easy fix. On the bottom of the rails have another flat bar that runs front to back. It would have another drilled whole in the middle of it like the cross beam; that way the force would be spread out and worse case, would keep the tire on the roof. Might break the drilled out hole, but it would work.... I think
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER NURSE View Post
Easy fix. On the bottom of the rails have another flat bar that runs front to back. It would have another drilled whole in the middle of it like the cross beam; that way the force would be spread out and worse case, would keep the tire on the roof. Might break the drilled out hole, but it would work.... I think
This is like I was suggesting, but I think you are going front to back, correct?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Points: 2,282, Level: 28 Points: 2,282, Level: 28 Points: 2,282, Level: 28
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%

I hope you get the bugs worked out on your tire carrier idea. I couldn't help but notice how good looking your Commander is. And, do the reflectors on your bumper just come with International Commanders or do they come with all 2010 Commanders? I know my 2006 doesn't have them and they look sharp.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Points: 9,018, Level: 63 Points: 9,018, Level: 63 Points: 9,018, Level: 63
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

Maybe you could make a bracket to recess it a bit lower then the roof rails and only use 2 of them. 2 brackets Like this ---,_________,--- . Then maybe a brace across the middle to connect the 2 brackets.

2006 Jeep Commander, 5.7 Hemi, OME 2" HD Lift,Robby spacers,New and improved Jeepin by AL UCA,265/70/17 Fierce Attitude on XD Spy 17x8 with +18 offset,Magnaflow Cat Back,4xGaurd Matrix w/hoop,Mopar Chrome side steps, Chrome door handles,Chrome Fuel door,Chrome Jeep bug deflector,AVS window vents,Home made roof lightbar, 2009 Mygig with lockpick,Backup camera.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100 Points: 59,623, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKDRIVER View Post
I hope you get the bugs worked out on your tire carrier idea. I couldn't help but notice how good looking your Commander is. And, do the reflectors on your bumper just come with International Commanders or do they come with all 2010 Commanders? I know my 2006 doesn't have them and they look sharp.
They are standard on all model years of the international models and are not on any model years of the US models.. Some of the US members have added them to their Commanders. By the way, they are lights not reflectors.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

Last edited by jeep5253; 12-12-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in