light bar in front of the sunroof - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exterior Appearance Mods Discuss exterior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,500, Level: 21 Points: 1,500, Level: 21 Points: 1,500, Level: 21
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

light bar in front of the sunroof

i'd like to mount 5 or 6 6x9s on a light bar, but i dont want to use the roof rack, and i dont want the huge lights integrated with a roof basket. i'd like a lower profile bar that sits up front, in front of the sunroof. if i can't find a universal bar that i like i'll have my bro-in-law fabricate me one (he's a welder by trade). my question is, will this interfere with using the sunroof, because i do use it on a daily basis. has anyone tried this? does it increase wind noise more than a sunroof wind deflector could fix? if i stick my fist out of the sunroof while driving it's pretty loud, but i doubt this is a fair comparison really.

in case it makes a difference i would have the lights mounted to the front of the bar, not on top of it. something like this (but of course not behind the sunroof):
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

You're gonna hear some wind noise, especially with the sunroof open. I don't see it interfering with the sunroof's operation though. The XK doesn't have drip rails like on a Cherokee, which would make mounting such a bar easier, therefore you would have to drill some holes in the roof panel and mount the bar. I have my concerns about this. I dont like drilling holes in the roof, mainly because of the possibility for leaks. You may say, " the factory does it ". Yeah they do. Also, there is nothing up there to support any weight, its only sheet metal. Not only the weight of the bar and lights, but also the force from the wind flexing it back that concerns me. It has been done though, even by someone here on this forum.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

How about trying to retrofit the light bar from the previous generation Jeep Liberty? I had one on my 03 Renegade and it did not create a lot of noticeable noise. It had four lights, and was not a high profile. I believe the base could be modified to fit the profile of the Commander's roof.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty1970 View Post
You're gonna hear some wind noise, especially with the sunroof open. I don't see it interfering with the sunroof's operation though. The XK doesn't have drip rails like on a Cherokee, which would make mounting such a bar easier, therefore you would have to drill some holes in the roof panel and mount the bar. I have my concerns about this. I dont like drilling holes in the roof, mainly because of the possibility for leaks. You may say, " the factory does it ". Yeah they do. Also, there is nothing up there to support any weight, its only sheet metal. Not only the weight of the bar and lights, but also the force from the wind flexing it back that concerns me. It has been done though, even by someone here on this forum.
i hadn't gotten far enough in the planning as to how or where to mount the bar brackets, but i was pretty much assuming it to be bolted to the pillars, not in the center sheet metal itself. my main concern would be the wind noise. that's a bummer because i love my sunroof, but i'd prefer lights above the windshield rather than half way back in the middle of the roof.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:25 PM

Never thought about the A - pillars, thats an idea. All I can say is, do it and post pics !
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 09:39 PM
Points: 1,241, Level: 19 Points: 1,241, Level: 19 Points: 1,241, Level: 19
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

I had a light bar made by CARR on my old suburban. it bolted to the metal where teh door closed. Worked great!

like this...

Most folks mount Giant 'high profile' lights to it, but it'd be easy to fab up a bracket to mount lights in front rather than on top of teh bar...

Or mount the bar facing forward like so..

Another thought would be look for a Liberty style bar made for an H3. Should be easy to fit onto our Commanders.

Last edited by rx7gslse; 12-29-2010 at 09:48 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

i like the look of that wrangler, but mounting the brackets inside the door pillar would be tricky i would think. might avoid wind noise through the sunroof, but would open up all new noise problems through the door seals. the h3 light bars might be an option though. they are about the same size and the windshield curvature would be similar enough to not require major modifications. seems to be alot more bars on the market for h3 than commanders as well, though normally ridiculously overpriced haha. hummer drivers have more money than sense, and the aftermarket industry can see them coming a mile away...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

these are sort of what i had in mind (though hanging in front of the windshield might be the way to go to avoid wind noise in the sunroof):

Last edited by xill; 12-29-2010 at 09:58 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 10:00 PM

I'd like to take that blue Hummer in the woods and scratch it all up.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 10:07 PM
Points: 1,241, Level: 19 Points: 1,241, Level: 19 Points: 1,241, Level: 19
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by xill View Post
i like the look of that wrangler, but mounting the brackets inside the door pillar would be tricky i would think. might avoid wind noise through the sunroof, but would open up all new noise problems through the door seals. the h3 light bars might be an option though. they are about the same size and the windshield curvature would be similar enough to not require major modifications. seems to be alot more bars on the market for h3 than commanders as well, though normally ridiculously overpriced haha. hummer drivers have more money than sense, and the aftermarket industry can see them coming a mile away...

I thought the inside the door mounting would be shady, but it was crazy easy, and never once leaked, so I can't knock it.

I'd take one of those Carr bars, and mount is pseudo forward facing like the yellow Wrangler and be done. A lot easier than modifying something already out there, and the way the Commander door opens it should be easy to do that. $120 and done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in