How to remove side guards? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exterior Appearance Mods Discuss exterior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,168, Level: 18 Points: 1,168, Level: 18 Points: 1,168, Level: 18
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

How to remove side guards?

I want to remove the side guards on my 06 Commander because they have faded over the years and someone tried to wax them which only made the problem worse. I plan to spray paint them with undercarriage textured black spray paint and then reinstall them. I have seen pictures of the side guards removed but not a thread of how to remove them. Can anyone tell me if I just have to remove the plastic rivet things that attach the side guards to the body or are there more steps involved? Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

You only have to drill out the plastic rivets. There are a bunch underneath along the bottom and one on each end. You might want to shop around for the plastic rivets to put them back on because I know the ones that hold the plastic inner fender wheel wells cost $5 ea at the dealer!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhh3 View Post
You only have to drill out the plastic rivets. There are a bunch underneath along the bottom and one on each end. You might want to shop around for the plastic rivets to put them back on because I know the ones that hold the plastic inner fender wheel wells cost $5 ea at the dealer!
Ok thanks. I'm going to try to remove the plastic rivets without having to drill them so I can hopefully reuse them. If that doesn't work then I'm going to remove the side guards anyways because I can't stand how they look right now and I'll be shopping around for less expensive rivets in the mean time.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

tree stump
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

I can usually get most of them out with out breaking them. But I also saw an assortment set of rivets plus the gun at auto zone hanging up the other day can't remember the price but I remember thinking that wasn't bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 08:03 PM

Yes, they are held on with plastic rivets. Just drill up through the middle of the rivet , the head will come off and the rest will fall out. Remember, the plastic rivets use a special rivet gun made for plastic rivets only, a standard rivet gun will not work. Guys, you can usually get rivets , clips , and such from a paint / body supply store cheaper and in larger quantities than from Autozone or Advance.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

So, the side guards are off. I just used the claw side of a hammer with a little help from a flat head screwdriver and popped them all off. None are reusable but easily replaceable. I really like the look with the guards off though. I'm considering just spraying the area that was covered by them with a rubberized undercoat black paint. Obviously this is pretty much an irreversible step so if anyone has any suggestions or comments as to why or why I shouldn't do it please let me know. And thanks for all the comments so far.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 05:18 AM
Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

I would have left the side guards on and just used a little Mothers Back to Black. It works wonders on all black trim and restores color from fading and from wax residue (or waxing). Now you know if there is ever a next time.

Now go to 4xguard and order their side guards. That is the best option. Otherwise I see no problems in painting the area. Post pics because mine are coming off soon too
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCMP View Post
I would have left the side guards on and just used a little Mothers Back to Black. It works wonders on all black trim and restores color from fading and from wax residue (or waxing). Now you know if there is ever a next time.

Now go to 4xguard and order their side guards. That is the best option. Otherwise I see no problems in painting the area. Post pics because mine are coming off soon too
I used Back to Black on it probably 50 times. It would fix the problem for about a day and then they would be all faded again and looked like crap. I honestly don't know exactly what happened or why they got so faded but I tried everything from windex (which works great on flat black paint) to Back to Black and every other remedy I could find online that was meant to restore black body trim and nothing would work. I'll probably paint it this weekend and post pictures for sure. If that doesn't produce the desired results then I'll just buy new ones from 4xguard. Thanks for the input.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:11 AM

Since you have them off, paint them. Just degrease them real well, especially since they have a lot of conditioners on them now, and spray paint them with a satin gloss black. You can spray undercoating or spray paint on the rockers if you like, it wont hurt anything. If you wish to reinstall the plastic rocker guards after you paint them, it wont matter if you sprayed the rockers, you will just cover it back up. The plastic guards are there for two reasons. One , to hide the pinch weld area because the rockers aren't very pretty. And two, they protect the rockers from getting all chipped up from rocks and then rusting. If you remove the guards and wish to keep them off, sand the rockers well with a scotch pad or 400 to 600 grit sandpaper and spray a rubberized rock guard or rubberized undercoating. This will help repel the rocks. I prefer the rubberized rock guard or even a bed liner material.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in