Bug deflector - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exterior Appearance Mods Discuss exterior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,662, Level: 23 Points: 1,662, Level: 23 Points: 1,662, Level: 23
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Bug deflector

I installed the Bug Deflector from Chrysler on my 2006 Jeep Commander, I got the package home and ripped open the sucker, all the stuff was their. I read the instructions (and it even came with pictures!!!). My Daughter dropped by and saw the kit and asked if she could help, I said sure
(glad I did, it really is a two person job) we followed the instructions and started to mount it. It said drill 4 3/16 holes using the deflector as a template. I used a Unibit, what was really funny the shavings that were coming off didn't look like steel.

We installed the 4 plastic inserts and started to mount the deflector, now the fun part, check this out one side was lower than the other. No matter what we did one side was always lower than the other side. I eyeballed the deflector and it seemed stright, but I knew something was off. I took it back to dealer and ask them to reorder antoher one, I said this deflector was off somehow.

They said OK and I got another one the next day!! We put it back on the hood and found out the holes we drilled were way off!!!! I used paint from the paint stick from chrysler on the holes so they wouldn't rust (knock on wood). We reintalled the new deflector and it installed like a champ!!! No problems what so ever, even the hood closed all right, no adjusting the latch, I asked about that when I pick up the second deflector and the service dept said they have installed them and they never had to adjust the hood latch.

I took some pictures of the finished product so you can see what it looks like installed. Don't be afraid of using a drill to drill the four holes, just don't put alot of PRESSURE on yer drill and you will be fine....

Heres the Pictures

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...ector/2101.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...ector/2102.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 02:29 AM
Points: 2,379, Level: 29 Points: 2,379, Level: 29 Points: 2,379, Level: 29
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Re: Bug deflector

You and your daughter did a good job! It looks good. Maybe one of these days I'll put mine on. It has been sitting in a corner for mega-months and now I hope I can find what I did with the directions! Did your have the "clips" at each end?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 06:25 AM
Points: 3,269, Level: 35 Points: 3,269, Level: 35 Points: 3,269, Level: 35
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

Looks nice but from the picture I cant see if it has enough upsweep to blow bugs and small stones OVER the windshield?? john

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 06:36 AM
Points: 4,319, Level: 41 Points: 4,319, Level: 41 Points: 4,319, Level: 41
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%

Ditto to John's comment. Doesn't look like it'd work very well from what I can see in the pictures.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,662, Level: 23 Points: 1,662, Level: 23 Points: 1,662, Level: 23
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%

I'll see if I can't answer two questions at the same time......

To Ak Commander
If you look at the pictures again you will see a screw head at the end of the deflector, theirs one on each end of the deflector with the clips installed, you can't see them but their there.

To John
My main concern at the time when I got the deflector was to have something to protect the the front leading edge of the hood against bugs and small rocks since its sooo damn flat, when we pick up the commander it was raining and when I got it home I noticed the rain trails going up and over the front of the hood. I thought oh great this is something that rocks and wind will tear the hell out of front of the hood. To be honest at the time I wasn't worried about weather it had enough up sweep or not, I just wanted to protect the front of the hood.

I did take another look at the deflector for the up sweep, I don't think it has the up sweep to deflect bugs, but who cares as long as the front part is protected. I would recommend this shield to everyone, because if yer going to keep yer commander for any length of time this will protect the front part from dents and chip paint which will lead to rusting out the leading edge of the hood. Besides it looks neat as hell!!!

You might try this, when I went to the parts dept. I told the guy that I had just brought the commander and the salesman said I could get a 15% discount off the price of the part! I got the deflector of $74.00!!! no questions asked! If they would of have had asked the salesman and he said no all I was going to say was I misunderstood. Big deal but I got it for $74.00 and I was happy with that, besides when ever I bring it in for service after the warranty runs out thier get their money back anyway ha ha.... Hope this has answered some of yer questions......
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 08:54 AM
Points: 3,112, Level: 34 Points: 3,112, Level: 34 Points: 3,112, Level: 34
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Hey starbuck, do u by any chance have any extra white plastic anchors? I lost 2 and mines only attached with the two outer holes. No dealer here will assist.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Points: 2,379, Level: 29 Points: 2,379, Level: 29 Points: 2,379, Level: 29
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

STARBUCK: Thanks for the reply
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Points: 7,070, Level: 55 Points: 7,070, Level: 55 Points: 7,070, Level: 55
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

I believe the Hood is Aluminum, that may be why it diddnt look like steel. Great Job! Looks Great!

2006 Commander 4.7 w/ QTII
2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R VDC (the wife's ride)
1986 Olds 442
1976 Porsche 912 E
(being resurrected)
2005 Yamaha FJR 1300
1979 Yamaha XS1100
1978 Yamaha XS750
[/B]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in