Sport crossrail question...... - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exterior Appearance Mods Discuss exterior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Points: 3,599, Level: 37 Points: 3,599, Level: 37 Points: 3,599, Level: 37
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Sport crossrail question......

I recieved my used set of Sport crossrails from Ebay on Friday. As I'm looking at them, I'm wondering....................How does the lock keep anyone from unbolting these things off your roof? If you look at the pics (sry for crappy cell pics), you can see the allen head screws that let you adjust/remove the rails from the roof. So, how does the lock actually prevent this? Or, am I missing a piece or something?

BTW- There were no keys, so I'll have to have a set made.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Points: 7,518, Level: 57 Points: 7,518, Level: 57 Points: 7,518, Level: 57
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

It really doesn't, but you should have some rubber trim piece that goes in the slot the full length of the rail and hides the screws. Also that's not a standard screw, it takes a security allen wrench, the type with a hole in the middle. Look closer at the screw, there is a stem sticking up in the middle of the allen hex hole.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: HueyPilotVN
This picture shows the sliding strips that cover the open slot on top of the bars.

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away...and got it back again.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
Did you not get the allen wrench, keys, or rubber strip in the center?
Mine came with 4 keys. When the end is unlocked, the key does not
come out.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyPilotVN View Post
This picture shows the sliding strips that cover the open slot on top of the bars.

O.k., now I get it. I did not get the "key" or the strips. I'll have to come up with something to slide in there. I got them for $70 so I can't complain too much, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdr jim View Post
It really doesn't, but you should have some rubber trim piece that goes in the slot the full length of the rail and hides the screws. Also that's not a standard screw, it takes a security allen wrench, the type with a hole in the middle. Look closer at the screw, there is a stem sticking up in the middle of the allen hex hole.
Yep, I see what you're saying.........I think I have set at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
Did you not get the allen wrench, keys, or rubber strip in the center?
Mine came with 4 keys. When the end is unlocked, the key does not
come out.
Nope, got them used with no keys or strips. i think I can get the local locksmith to make me a set off the tumbler. If not, are all keys the same?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

I had a lock smith get me new keys. There are numbers on the lock he was able to look up and made a few different types of keys and one of them worked. The locks really don't protect it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Points: 7,518, Level: 57 Points: 7,518, Level: 57 Points: 7,518, Level: 57
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

If you don't have one at work, you may be able to make one if you have a soft allen wrench, or order one. Last choice would be to replace the bolts with standard bolts. If someone really wants these cross members and what you have mounted to them, the locks or the special bolts ain't going to deter them...........
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL View Post
I had a lock smith get me new keys. There are numbers on the lock he was able to look up and made a few different types of keys and one of them worked. The locks really don't protect it.
Good to know they can make a set. Did you take the whole rail to them or just the end cap? My issue is that the end caps are on and locked and no keys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdr jim View Post
If you don't have one at work, you may be able to make one if you have a soft allen wrench, or order one. Last choice would be to replace the bolts with standard bolts. If someone really wants these cross members and what you have mounted to them, the locks or the special bolts ain't going to deter them...........

Exactly, if they want it.......they'll get it. I havn't looked yet but most likely I won't have the size I need. I think I'll just replace the allen heads with standard ones.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Mine were locked on my jeep so they came to me.

Stop by and like the page

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

lol yeah all those locks do is "keep honest people honest".

If someone really wants whats on your roof rack, a cheap battery powered sawzaw will make quick work of it for them and take less time then un-threading those bolts.

Kind of like the premise behind "The Club". It literally takes less than 10 seconds to cut off a section of the steering wheel thereby rendering The Club useless. It's just a deterrent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in