Jeep Commander Forum banner

removed plastic rocker gaurds

11K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  JohnGault 
#1 ·
Removed the plastic rockers, after breaking one after stuffing the rear tires. I didn;t like the holes left after in the door area. so I covered it with non-skid tape. Has anyone else pulled theirs and what did you do? here are a couple pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I removed mine a while back. When using the mickey thompson wheels, I was rubbing on everything. I was hoping to get the 4xguard rocker covers but price was a factor. Since I fixed my wheel problems with stock wheels and some spacers I've put my plastic covers back on. But I didn't go as far as you did with the non-stick tape. Looks better that why. I just left mine open.

#5 ·
Nice idea with the nonskid. Maybe Ill do that eventually. I do like the guards off off mine.

#12 ·
that looks cool... nice job!

#13 · (Edited)
Seriously thinking about taking these off. I hate the plasticy look and cheap feel of them when I bump them. Pretty sure there are some broken tabs already, as they feel loose.

The pinchweld doesn't look as ugly or obvious as I had feared.

The non skid tape cleans it up perfectly, and bonus the kids can use it as step. Maybe I can cover the pinchweld with nonskid as well if that bothers the wife...

Seriously contemplating this... Anybody have any input? I have read that some people think its ugly.

#14 ·
Yeah, this is a question of aesthetics. Personally, after I install my SA sliders, I will cut and put those trim pieces back on. Someone else on here has done exactly that with their slider install.

#18 ·
Covering the pinchweld definately gives it a finished look. Those slots need something, not sure i'd use the grip tape, although it does look ok.

#20 ·
Wow, I've been trying to figure out what to do with those stupid holes seeing that I pretty much broke every connector on my trim. That non slip looks sweet

#22 ·
Great idea and saved me $300. I'm having my Commander painted next week and I wanted to take these trim rails off. Painted seperately since Econo won't paint jams and I didn't want 1/2 painted leaving on body. Taking off I broke every top tab that holds them in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.