1st time HID install in a jeep, had problems. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exterior Appearance Mods Discuss exterior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,499, Level: 21 Points: 1,499, Level: 21 Points: 1,499, Level: 21
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

1st time HID install in a jeep, had problems.

Tried putting in a set for a friend last week. Hooked up everything plug and play as usual. I did not install the relay first just the ballast and warning canceler. Turned it in to test first light and nothing. Figured maybe it has to have a complete circuit to work so installed the same on the next light, and nothing. So we then noticed that 4 or so lights were on in the dash. Abs, check engine, seatbelts, said check suspension in cluster, windows didn't work, etc. so we checked the fuses and had 2 blown. So I just said let me do some research as to why and what to do before we finish.

So here it is! I have 2 sets, 2 cancelers, and 2 relays. I believe I saw that some jeeps are reverse polarity, is this true? If it is do I just turn the harness around backwards and plug it in? What's the best way to check to make sure? I've also seen people talking about resistors and diodes. What this about?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm use to it just working, not blowing fuses, and throwing codes. I've also looked on some websites like this one and others and just can't find the definite answers I need. Thanks ahead of time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Points: 94, Level: 1 Points: 94, Level: 1 Points: 94, Level: 1
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%

From what I understand from reading after trying once to install my hids..

Some (?) commanders are reverse polarity, yes. All you do is turn the plug on the bulb around (the wire that plugs into the stock harness on your commander). This probably still won't work correctly, though. They'll probably flicker and still might not work (they worked for me for about 5 seconds).

You'll have to use the relay/harness and hook them directly to the battery for them to work correctly. Hopefully you have the right harnesses (if you're doing highs and lows then you need 2 harnesses)

To install the harness*:
https://www.ddmtuning.com/support/in...id=101&nav=0,1

*This harness is a little different than the harnesses I have and have had in the past [mine are grounded on both sides]) but you get the general idea.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I got everything I need. Just the reverse polarity gets me and how to check for it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefast96svt View Post
Yeah I got everything I need. Just the reverse polarity gets me and how to check for it.
If you plugged in the hids the "normal" way and they didn't work, you probably have reverse polarity...or they just won't work with the stock wiring . Flip the wire I said and see if they work. They probably won't.

If you already have the harness(es) why not just use them and save you the trouble of trying to figure out if your commander has reverse polarity and then them not working even if you do?

They (harness(es)) only take about 2 minutes to hook up. The hardest part (for me) was grounding the passenger side lol.. there are only like 3 bolts on that side that are close enough. One is holding the fender on and was too dirty/rusty for me, and the other 2 are holding this black (painted) metal bracket type thing on, I used one of those bolts (it's not painted under the bolts)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

I will this time now that I know that jeeps are made that way. The only other car I had problems with was my wife's Subaru. Her moms Mercedes and my f150 did fine with harnesses but still used them.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefast96svt View Post
I will this time now that I know that jeeps are made that way. The only other car I had problems with was my wife's Subaru. Her moms Mercedes and my f150 did fine with harnesses but still used them.

Let us know how it goes

Are you doing high beams too? If so.. let me know if you have trouble getting the bulbs to lock in too..

We had a 98 cherokee that I used a harness on because it came with the lights that I bought, I never tried it without the harness (my first hid install). I used the same lights on our aveo that we had with the harness too because I still thought you had to. When we got our civic I had to get new lights because the lights went with the aveo, civic uses different bulbs anyways. No harness in the civic and it works great. Wasn't going to use a harness in the commander but I had to to make it work so yeah..
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 09:33 PM
Points: 4,239, Level: 41 Points: 4,239, Level: 41 Points: 4,239, Level: 41
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I got everything I need. Just scared of frying something with this reverse polarity thing I've heard of. But not sure how to truly go about testing to make sure I get it right. I couldn't tell from the pic but did you plug yours in the way you normally do with the split on the plug going over the bump that holds it in place?

Last edited by Onefast96svt; 01-02-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in