HID conversion - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exterior Appearance Mods Discuss exterior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Points: 94, Level: 1 Points: 94, Level: 1 Points: 94, Level: 1
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

HID conversion -- high beam bulb help??

So, I'm putting.. or should I say trying to put.. hids into my commander.

I have done this to 4 other cars that we have owned, so I know how. I put my low beams in and then tried for about an hour to put just 1 high in and I can't get them to turn to lock in there so they don't fall out. Is there something I am missing? I can get the regular high bulb to go in like it's suppose to. I forget which bulb the high is (9005 or 9006, I think 9005, I tried both 9006 and 9005 hid bulbs and neither work [I know hid 9005/9006 are identical almost - the only difference I could find is at the top the one locking thing goes the opposite way a little bit on the 9005 than the 9006])

Right now I have the lows in and regular highs in, but I do not want to keep it this way. (We have a 2012 civic that I did highs/lows [different bulbs] and I'm fine with the little bit of warm up time when you turn highs on)

Anybody have any uhh.. tips? I thought about taking the housing out but then I realized it would be too difficult (I will do this as a last resort probably)

Last edited by 07commanderpa; 12-29-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

The High beams are 9005. I am struggling with the low beams but got the high beams in without any problems. I bought a set of 9006 and one 9005 as stated in the owners manual, but the low beams wont fit. They are way too big around the rubber seal/gasket to get in the light to even be able to turn the bulb into locking position. the ones for high beams went in without any problems. Did you have the same problem with the lowbeams or did yours fit without problems? 9006 is the correct type for low beams?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Our civic has 2 sets of bulbs too, 9005 and 9006. I know from installing them that I couldn't tell a difference in them. So before ordering for the commander I searched to see if I could just order 2 sets of 9005 or 2 sets of 9006, and with hids, 9006/9005 are identical. With regular bulbs there is a extra tiny piece of plastic on the 9005 bulb.

I almost just ordered 2 sets of 9005 bulbs but figured better to be safe than sorry so I ordered one set of 9005 and one set of 9006. I put the first set (not really thinking about if it was 9005 or 9006, but I did look to make sure I got a set of each) into the low beams and tried it out before putting the highs in. They fit fine and work great*. I then tried to put one side of the highs in and the bulb doesn't want to turn to lock into place, so after about an hour I tried the other side and it doesn't either. I finally looked at the halogens to see if I could see anything else different about the bulbs. The one piece that locks the bulb in there is facing the other way on the 9005 bulbs than the 9006 bulbs, but it's not that big of a difference and I don't think(?) it really matters. I fit the 9005 (? high ) hid bulb into the low (? 9006 ) socket and it fits fine, isn't loose or hard to get in or out. I took one of the bulbs out of the socket and tried to put it in the high beam figuring maybe this little piece that is a tad different really did matter and I still couldn't get it in.

It's almost like the high beam sockets are a tad tighter/smaller than the low beam sockets...

Hopefully this makes sense and I can get some help haha

*It doesn't matter for what I am trying to get help with, but I do have 2 relay harnesses for the hids as they wouldn't work for me without (even when reversing polarity, they only worked for maybe 2 seconds then turned off and wouldn't turn back on).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE..if anybody cares:

Since I installed the low beams, I have been trying to figure out why the highs won't go in. The low beams work okay, but even with the harness the passenger side doesn't turn on some times (I have to turn the lights on about 5-8 times to get both lights to turn on). This happens in our civic sometimes (no harness) but it's only whenever the bulbs are cold and even then only about every 15 cold times you turn them on, so it's no big deal.

About 2 hours ago I was bored so I got my flashlight and pliers (lol) and went out to try a new method of putting the highs in. I switched the bulbs that were in my lows to the other bulbs that have not been used yet as I had the 9005's in the lows and they are "suppose" to be in the highs. Turns out it takes quite a bit of effort to get the bulbs to lock in place, but that's why I tried the pliers. It worked and I got all the bulbs in. I did manage to break the one high bulb, I cracked the base while putting it in with the pliers (it still works though).

Now, my lows turn on fine every time. But my highs are doing the same thing with only the one side turning on whenever I turn them on, have to turn them off and on about 5-8 times to get both bulbs to turn on. It's the driver high not the passenger low now though, weird. Must be the ballast because I know it's not the bulb. I have some extra ballast laying around I'll switch it out and see if it works better. One of the bulbs flickers a little bit (with harness) so I am going to order replacement bulbs (so I can pitch the bulb I broke and the one that flickers) I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in