Yakima Roof Rack - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exterior Appearance Mods Discuss exterior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,295, Level: 28 Points: 2,295, Level: 28 Points: 2,295, Level: 28
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Yakima Roof Rack

I just read on the roof basket thread that some of you are using Yakima round cross bars on your Commander. Their site says they don't fit the Commander. I went to a local REI sports store and they said there was nothing they could do with Yakima or Thule for the Commander except for a few attachments that would fit the factory cross bars.

I have 48" cross bars and #4 Landing Pads from my last SUV. How are you safely mounting the cross bars? Are you sure the mount is sturdy enough to hold like 2 kayaks?

I have alot of attachments from Yakima. I would love to get the Yakima bars working instead of the factory bars.

Advise, suggestions or pictures would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Points: 1,004, Level: 17 Points: 1,004, Level: 17 Points: 1,004, Level: 17
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Re: Yakima Roof Rack

I have the same problem. The factory bars are not wide enough to fit a box and 3 bikes on top.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Points: 1,761, Level: 24 Points: 1,761, Level: 24 Points: 1,761, Level: 24
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcc11tcc
I just read on the roof basket thread that some of you are using Yakima round cross bars on your Commander. Their site says they don't fit the Commander. I went to a local REI sports store and they said there was nothing they could do with Yakima or Thule for the Commander except for a few attachments that would fit the factory cross bars.

I have 48" cross bars and #4 Landing Pads from my last SUV. How are you safely mounting the cross bars? Are you sure the mount is sturdy enough to hold like 2 kayaks?

I have alot of attachments from Yakima. I would love to get the Yakima bars working instead of the factory bars.

Advise, suggestions or pictures would be great!
I have a Yakima rack set up that I use to carry my 16' kayak to the beach pretty much every weekend.

My setup: #5 Landing Pads, Control Towers, 66" cross-bars, standard attachments, land shark saddles.

First, use #5 Landing Pads, not #4. You will need some 1 1/2" round washers that you can get at home depot, place these in the channel, with the square threaded mounts under them. For security and extra safety measures, you can orient the landing pads so that they straddle the plastic inserts along the channel (I have mine with one bolt on each side of both the front-most and rear-most plastic inserts). The washers are necessary to prevent twisting and slipping of the square plates that are too small for the channel.

Everything is normal after that. My 'yak weighs about 70#s, is 16' long, and I haul a** down the freeway -- 80+ mph, with passing speeds close to 100mph.

If I get home before dark tonight, I'll try to snap some pics.

BTW, my setup was designed between me, my local yakima dealer, and the regional yakima rep. They agreed the only issue at hand was the small metal plates, and I provided the washers which I used with my previous ORU basket on the Commander. (The basket was too short to haul my 'yak on with my Thule bars.)

!c

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,295, Level: 28 Points: 2,295, Level: 28 Points: 2,295, Level: 28
Level up: 97% Level up: 97% Level up: 97%

I mounted my Yakima Rack tonight on my Jeep Commander!!! Yippie!!! I have Yakima accessories for kayaks (hullraisers) and bikes and I am soooo happy I can use them now. I did go to Home Depot and bought 1 1/4 washers from earlier advice and then found myself needing longer screws than what Yakima provided with the #5 Landing Pads. The longest cap socket screws I found at HD were 6mmx30mm. They worked just fine. I put the small provided washer on the top of the screw and then put the 1 1/4 washer before the square one they provide. It was a bit hard to hold them in the track while getting the screw to catch but it went quick after the first one. I did straddle the plastic piece in the track like you did. I was wrong about my cross bars...they are 58" and my fairing is 38". Worked like a charm. The rack seems very sturdy but I haven't put anything on top yet. Thanks for the advise. You saved this chic alot of money!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Points: 289, Level: 5 Points: 289, Level: 5 Points: 289, Level: 5
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

Protecting Factory Cross Rails

Has anyone found a way to protect the factory cross rails from scratching off the finish if you put something directly on them like a kayak or small boat. Yesterday I tested out putting my kayak and small boat up on the racks and they held fine. I put some extra rubber floor mats on the bars temporally for the test but this would not work at highway speeds.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,274, Level: 100 Points: 59,274, Level: 100 Points: 59,274, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
Has anyone found a way to protect the factory cross rails from scratching off the finish if you put something directly on them like a kayak or small boat. Yesterday I tested out putting my kayak and small boat up on the racks and they held fine. I put some extra rubber floor mats on the bars temporally for the test but this would not work at highway speeds.
I think there are foam tubes or wrappings that you can get to go around the cross rails. I have seen them on other vehicles.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

Last edited by jeep5253; 12-15-2008 at 11:56 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Points: 5,184, Level: 46 Points: 5,184, Level: 46 Points: 5,184, Level: 46
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%

Thumbs down Yakima Roof Rack Question

Do the original Jeep cross bars need to be removed or are the Yakima cross bars above them? Without seeing any pictures I am wondering about clearances between them.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Go to my garage and you can see the pics, the rack mounts to the top of the cross bars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in