Installing Mopar driving lights: mounting issues - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exterior Appearance Mods Discuss exterior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
Installing Mopar driving lights: mounting issues

Has anyone here tried to install the Mopar off-road lights onto the Mopar brush guard? The crush fittings and instructions have got to be the worst design ever. I can't get the fittings to crush correctly and have rounded off the nuts and damaged to power-coating on the brush guard. Does anyone have any better ideas for installing these lights?

Off to do something easier: installing my Gibson exhaust!

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Points: 17,117, Level: 83 Points: 17,117, Level: 83 Points: 17,117, Level: 83
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Activity: 47% Activity: 47% Activity: 47%

Own a Commander?: No
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Re: Installing Mopar driving lights: mounting issues

What kind of crush fittings are they, is it what some call a blind nut?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr

Yes, that's what I have. The instructions say to insert the blind nut, thread the regular nut onto the bolt, thread the bolt into the blind nut, tighten the regular nut against the blind nut, then tighten the bolt to crush the blind nut into place. However, when I tighten up the bolt, it tightens up against the regular nut and won't go any further, preventing the blind nut from crushing. I've destroyed the original hardware so I have to get some new stuff. I also think that the bolts are too short as the lights are a multi-vehicle use set, so a set of longer bolts would help.

When I've dealt with these in the past, there's usually a small tube or similar with a shaft that threads into the blind nut, then tube goes over the shaft, a nut threads on the exposed end and then you tighten that, crushing everything into place. I might hit Lowes or Home Depot and see if they have something like that; Rack Attack might also have something in stock.

Any suggestions please post them here.

'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 03:59 PM

2WD

What's important with using blind nuts is the tapered part that spreads and holds the blind nut till it compresses.
Typically, we use a air gun with an allen bolt in it and a tapered end around the allen bolt.

Here's some hand tools

Auto parts store sometimes carry the blind nuts and tool in their specialty section.
Lowes or Home Depot might also have them.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Cool, that's the info I needed. I don't have any blind nut tools and the kit doesn't come with one. I bought some rubber expansion nuts but would rather use what the kit specifies. I'll hit my parts store this week and see what they have.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 10:53 PM
Points: 3,952, Level: 40 Points: 3,952, Level: 40 Points: 3,952, Level: 40
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%

Can anyone advice how to get a cable thru the firewall and inside the vehicle to install the switch?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 06:22 AM
Points: 2,100, Level: 27 Points: 2,100, Level: 27 Points: 2,100, Level: 27
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabitz
Can anyone advice how to get a cable thru the firewall and inside the vehicle to install the switch?
I remember seeing a hole with a rubber membrane in the firewall near the drivers side. I don't have time at the moment, but I could try and snap a picture of it. I think I remember another thread where someone talks about using it to run wiring through...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 07:23 AM

2WD

There should be a few things going through the firewall with a rubber grommet, like the shifter cable, accelerator cable (3.7) etc. Find one you can get to from both sides and if there's not enough room to slide the wire in the existing hole, make a new hole in the rubber grommet.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YB Normyl
There should be a few things going through the firewall with a rubber grommet, like the shifter cable, accelerator cable (3.7) etc. Find one you can get to from both sides and if there's not enough room to slide the wire in the existing hole, make a new hole in the rubber grommet.
Also, use a coat hanger or wire snake to thread the wiring through the grommet, it'll make life much easier.

Dabitz, did you get the lights installed on the brush guard? Or are you not using the Mopar brush guard?

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 08:29 AM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmorrisonjr
Also, use a coat hanger or wire snake to thread the wiring through the grommet, it'll make life much easier.
And wrap all wire in wire loom to protect the wire and give it a professional look.

2007 Jeep Commander Limited, 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 1955 Willys Jeep Pickup (Restoration Project), 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in