Skid plate install findings - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exterior Appearance Mods Discuss exterior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
Skid plate install findings

I started installing my skid plates tonight. The front one is the easiest, just replaces the plastic plate from the factory. The gas tank one is a completely different story since the tank actually rests in the skid plate, meaning that you have drop the tank. I had to stop as I ran into some issues that I'll detail below.
  1. Make sure you have the proper tools, i.e.: pressure fitting release tools, decent set of sockets, etc.
  2. The instructions are missing several key points:
    • There are six bolts to remove & replace, not five
    • To get to the front right bolt, you either need to be 4" tall with an 18mm socket for a head, or you need to drop the driveshaft out of the way. Needless to say, unbolting the rear of the shaft and dropping it make the job so much easier
    • The list of tools needed is imcomplete. You need a full set of sockets and extenstions and various fitting release tools as mentioned above.
    • There are no good instructions for releasing the rear vapor recovery line. It takes a circular tool to release the fitting our you'll break it. Make sure you do this before you drop the tank or you'll break the line off at the purge vent on top of the tank and have to repair it.
  3. Make sure you release the pressure from the front fuel line before separating it or you'll get a face full of gas and the joy of rinsing yourself off and then searching the CDC website for instructions about flushing gas out of your eyes. And yes, I was wearing safety glasses, but they weren't chemical goggles. And, once again, the instructions don't tell you how to release the pressure properly.
  4. You'll have to reuse the original bolts since DCX only gives you five new bolts and they're a different size from the original ones. The original bolts should be strong enough to hold the tank/skid assembly and and abuse it might encounter.

So, as you've probably guessed, I am half way through what should have been a two hour project that now spans two nights. I'm letting the contact cement set on the vapor recovery assembly before going any further so that I don't have to buy a new part or tank. Plus now the XK is out of commission for the night; luckily my trail rig is street legal so I can drive it tomorrow for work and let the contact cement set up correctly overnight.

The transfer case plate should be easy too, but it requires the gas tank plate to be installed since it uses the lip on one end of the skid as a mount point. Such an interesting design, you just have to wonder what they were smoking when they designed it. And why the plates aren't included as standard equipment on a "Trail Rated" 4x4 vehicle!

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rwmorrisonjr; 05-03-2007 at 11:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Points: 6,565, Level: 53 Points: 6,565, Level: 53 Points: 6,565, Level: 53
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

Re: Skid plate install findings

Wow. Sounds like you had a rough night, man. Thanks for the tips though, that'll be helpful to a lot of people including myself. By the way, how do you flush gas from your eyes?

No more jeeps for me... I get around by bicycle now.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr

Get a garden hose and do a quick rinse off then go to the kitchen or bathroom and flush your eyes with warm running water for about 5 minutes. It burns but won't do any damage if the exposure is minimal according to the CDC website: http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/MHMI/mmg72.html
or the CCOHS site: http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemi...staid_gas.html.

Now that I've had that much fun, I'm going to work on getting it all back together so I can install my rock rails, lift and other fun things this weekend while its raining.

'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Update on the skid plates:
  • I did have all six bolts, so DCX did include the right hardware.
  • The old bolts are 18mm heads, and the new ones are 13/16", so be aware of this before crawling under the truck. The instructions don't mention this.
  • Supporting the truck by the frame rails and letting the rear suspension drop definitely helps with the install. Even so, the right front bolt is still hard to get to and disconnecting the drive shaft is still the best option.
  • Removing the LT rear tire helps with accessing the rear tank fittings and bolt.
  • The instructions are actually for a Grand Cherokee, which is why they don't show the drive shaft in the way of the front right bolt.

That's all I have. The plates are on and I'm glad this project is done. Now for the 4xGuard rock rails!

Last edited by rwmorrisonjr; 05-10-2007 at 05:42 PM.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Points: 8,145, Level: 60 Points: 8,145, Level: 60 Points: 8,145, Level: 60
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

When you get those rock rail/steps on please post some photos. An up-close to show how near the body it sits would be nice. All I've seen is the WK photos on 4xGuard's site.

06 Commander Base Dark Khaki |
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Going to do that and post a write up for here and to send to Russ for his info.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Points: 6,704, Level: 53 Points: 6,704, Level: 53 Points: 6,704, Level: 53
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

The easiest way to release fuel pressure from the system is to pull the fuel pump relay (or fuse) with the engine running.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Points: 1,978, Level: 26 Points: 1,978, Level: 26 Points: 1,978, Level: 26
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmorrisonjr
  • various fitting release tools as mentioned above.
  • There are no good instructions for releasing the rear vapor recovery line. It takes a circular tool to release the fitting our you'll break it.
Is this the white connector you are talking about or the black/yellow one (the bigger of the two). I have already disconnected the white one, but the clamp that is removed feels like it'll be loose. Do you remember what the tool was for the black/yellow one? It looks like I will have to wait until tomorrow to finish as I don't have the tool.

-Mike

Tow Rig/Daily Driver: 2006 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4, LineX Bed Liner
2nd Tow Rig/Wife's Daily Driver/Jeep: 2006 65th Anniversary XK, Mopar Skid Plates, Rocky Road Super Sliders, 4XGuard Belly Guard

Member: Northern Virginia Jeepers Association (
)
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 10:20 PM

This is the yellow/black connector I was referring to in the previous post...

-Mike

2nd Tow Rig/Wife's Daily Driver/Jeep: 2006 65th Anniversary XK, Mopar Skid Plates, Rocky Road Super Sliders, 4XGuard Belly Guard

)
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 12:37 PM

I found the solution was to squeeze the yellow tab in, not out.

-Mike

)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in