HID kit strobing problem/flicker a bit - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exterior Appearance Mods Discuss exterior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Exclamation HID kit strobing problem/flicker a bit

Hey y'all. New to the commander forum but first off. I installed an hid kit to my 2008 jeep commander sport. I installed warning cancelers and relay harness as well. Now my problem isn't so much flickering. They function fine and work but often when I pull up behind someone at night I can see the lights sorta change color/dim down I guess. It's not noticeable looking directly at the lights but you notice it on whatever the lights are shining on. Has anyone else experience this problem? Any tips? I guess you can call it flashing just a little but idk I've looked all over the forums can't really find anyone who knows. Please get back to me and thanks for welcoming me into the commander world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 07:44 PM
Points: 6,782, Level: 54 Points: 6,782, Level: 54 Points: 6,782, Level: 54
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

I have.

Try removing the warning cancelers. This typically occurs when an unsteady power flow is being delivered to the bulbs. While the cancelers are supposed to prevent this, they may be bad. It's part of trouble shooting, so just see if that solves it.

My issue turned out to be the ballasts. They had horrible cold weather performance, but still had some (less pronounced) issues in the warm weather too. I got them replaced by the company free of charge and have not had the problems since. They were Morimoto ballasts in case you were wondering.

Black 2006 3.7 Sport

RC Lift & 2.2 Series Shocks | Hypertech Programmer | General Grabber ATē on Ultra Mavericks | Magnaflow Exhaust | 6000k HIDs | Complete LED conversion | K&N CAI | Stubby antennae | Bull Bar | Chrome
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Ah, okay sounds all too familiar. Couple days ago we had a snow storm and I went under the hood for a second and saw snow all over the ballasts. Idk if that screwed them up or not but I will try the cancelers and see if if the strobing stops.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 09:49 PM
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

I recently removed hid conversion kits from my 2007 Commander Overland.
Now that I have installed my stock lights back on I have a big problem. The horn, wipers, and left headlight don't work.
I tried switching light bulbs to check for a bad bulb, but there's simply no power on the left headlight. My right side turn signal works, but not the left side doesn't. Park lamps do work. Where do I even start to check for the solution?!!!
Anyone please help!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,055, Level: 100 Points: 59,055, Level: 100 Points: 59,055, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolira7 View Post
Now that I have installed my stock lights back on I have a big problem. The horn, wipers, and left headlight don't work.
I tried switching light bulbs to check for a bad bulb, but there's simply no power on the left headlight. My right side turn signal works, but not the left side doesn't. Park lamps do work. Where do I even start to check for the solution?!!!
Anyone please help!
Check fuses.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolira7 View Post
Anyone please help!
happened to me too a while ago. check the fuses. im 100% sure its the fuse. open the fusebox closest to the headlights. just pull them out one by one and put them up against a light. youll see which ones are burned. it would be the 20 amp fuses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Tags
headlights hid ballast

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in