• 2 Post By Montel
  • 1 Post By Big Blue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

50" light bar install?

K so my commander doesn't have a sunroof and I installed a 50" light bar near the windshield and built a custom rack and have space to install one. Has anyone done it themselves and have a recommendation on product/tips on the install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Big Blue; 03-20-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,028, Level: 100 Points: 59,028, Level: 100 Points: 59,028, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Just about everyone with a stock sunroof, including me, has had problems with leaking. Do a forum search to see for yourself. I Didn't even want a sunroof to begin with but I wanted a Limited and you couldn't get it without a sunroof. My advice is to not do it. But then again, you may be able to do it better than Chrysler.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2 Points: 105, Level: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
Just about everyone with a stock sunroof, including me, has had problems with leaking. Do a forum search to see for yourself. I Didn't even want a sunroof to begin with but I wanted a Limited and you couldn't get it without a sunroof. My advice is to not do it. But then again, you may be able to do it better than Chrysler.

Good advice, I've read that too which is why I wanted to know if anyone had done it themselves with good success

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 10:29 PM
Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.spencer.gee View Post
Good advice, I've read that too which is why I wanted to know if anyone had done it themselves with good success

The leaking is easily solved.

Make sure to do it to both sides... And every so often, say every 6 months, make sure to open it up and clear clogged debris at the base of the hose. The dirt cakes in there and prevents water from flowing out. Simple fix.

Mark.spencer.gee and rewdboy like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 21,450, Level: 92 Points: 21,450, Level: 92 Points: 21,450, Level: 92
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 102,100
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.spencer.gee View Post
K so my commander doesn't have a sunroof and I installed a 50" light bar near the windshield and built a custom rack and have space to install one. Has anyone done it themselves and have a recommendation on product/tips on the install?

This was my solution for mounting my 50 inch curved LED Light bar without drilling holes in the roof. However, this installation did not come without some issues.

I have the Oslamp (now Auxbeam) 50" curved LED spot/flood combo light bar. Overall this is a very good light bar, but, there are some issues to overcome to mount it securely - where I wanted to mount it.

The supplied mounting hardware and brackets are inadequate for a 50" curved LED light bar that weighs 16 lbs - at least for the way that I mounted it. Yes you read it right - this light bar weighs 16 lbs which is pretty heavy for a light bar.

I do understand that this light bar is actually designed to be mounted along the top of the front windshield with mounting brackets that typically screw into the door jams - which this light bar does not come with. Even if it did come with them, I wouldn't have used them. I have seen these light bars on other vehicles mounted that way and I absolutely can't stand the way it looks. I wanted my light bar higher up for more light beam throw and out of my line of sight.

Because of the parabolic shape of the light bar, the majority of the weight of the light is towards the highest, most forward point of the curve - or the very center of the light bar. The result is that the light bar always has a natural tendency to vibrate loose and slip downward when you drive at highway speeds.

The splines machined into the brackets and on the splines on the outer housing of the light bar where the brackets mate to, in order to lock it in place, are not very defined. To the contrary, they are rather smooth which really diminishes their ability to hold and lock the light bar in place.

When the light bar slips downward & out of position, the natural tendency/solution is to crank down harder on the bolts that go through the mounting brackets and into the light bar housing - and this is where a problem occurs.

The female threads of the light bar that mounting bolts screw into are aluminum, the mounting bolts themselves are steel. Anybody who knows anything about metal knows that aluminum is a much softer metal than steel. If you crank down too much on the steel mounting bolts, you strip out the aluminum female threads in the light bar. After trying to crank those bolts down a couple of times because the light bar kept slipping/vibrating out of position, I stripped out one of the aluminum female threads in the light bar housing. To make a much longer story a little shorter, I wound up doing several things.

First off, I had to re-tap both ends of the light bar to a larger size and I also drilled about a 1/2 inch further into the light bar (without going all the way through) to create an extra half-inch of female thread. I wound up settling on 3/8 16 as the thread size.

2) I went to a specialty hardware store and bought 3/8 16 aluminum bolts so I have aluminum on aluminum instead of steel on aluminum. An aluminum bolt going into an aluminum female thread is much less likely to strip out.

3) I bought 4 stainless steel star lock washers to replace the cheaper spring lock washers that came with the light. I also increased the size of the mounting bolts at the base of the mounting brackets to 1/4 20 stainless steel bolts with vibration proof nuts.

Lastly, (and probably the most important step) I mounted a piece of pressure treated 2x4 (which I painted black) about 4 inches long underneath the light bar, directly in the center and permanently mounted it to the light bar using GOOP permanent contact adhesive and sealant which creates a permanent but flexible bond between a variety of different surfaces (including metal & wood) and it's also paintable. Underneath the block of 2x4 I cut 2 pieces of flat, black rubber bungie cord to the length of the 2x4 and permanently sealed them to the bottom of the 2x4. As a result, I have rubber making contact with the roof and not the 2x4 and don't have to worry about vibration from the light bar and the 2x4 damaging the paint job/clear coat on the roof.

It was a fair amount of work but it was absolutely necessary in my case. The light bar itself is good quality but it seems that Oslamp (Auxbeam) cut some corners with the supplied mounting brackets and mounting hardware. Oslamp (Auxbeam) should have made the female mounting threads of the light bar out of machined stainless steel vice aluminum if they were really going to do it properly. For one of the pricier light bars on the market, this is one area in particular where they shouldn't have cut corners.

So, there you have it. It may not work for everybody - but I love it.

I have a couple of 1,700 mile road trips back and forth from Virginia to Florida on this mounting job now and I'm happy to report, I've had no issues.

vestin112 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Big Blue; 09-24-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in