Jeep Commander Forum banner

Replaced Chrome Jeep Emblems with Satin Black & Graphite

8K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  LunaSea831 
#1 ·
Ive always like the look of the Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Edition. Since my Commander is white with black trim, I figured Id change the hood emblem for a black one. I used a satin black part# 68309841AA for a 2016-2018 Grand Cherokee.

I didnt realize when I bought it that it was a little larger but it just fits. I waited for a very hot day, made a "box" around the existing emblem with painter's tape. Had to make the box a little larger to give it extra room for the larger emblem. I drew a small line on the hood between the 2 "e" s with a pencil. Then I used a plastic pry bar, for trim removal, to get under the existing letters and pry them up so i could peel them off. I peeled off as much of the old adhesive as I could. Once I had all the letters off, I used Bug & Tar remover to remove any remaining adhesive. Then I taped up the pencil line and used Mequiar's Scratch X to really get the area clean from any wax. After that I centered the new emblem with the 2 "e" s around the pencil mark and mounted it to the hood applying enough pressure to slightly bend the emblem to conform to the slight curve in the hood. Im really happy with the way it came out.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
I bought the Granite Crystal emblems I used on the back from eBay but made sure they were genuine Mopar. The Jeep emblem is # 68283329AA for a 2016-2018 Wrangler. The 4x4 emblem is # 68207205AA for 2014-2020 Jeep Cherokee. Both are the same size as what was on the Commander unlike the satin black I used on the hood which was a little larger. I'll take a picture sometime today of them on the vehicle. It supposed to warm up a bit here in Massachusetts.

Text Font Car Vehicle Number
Font Emblem Symbol Logo

#13 ·
really nice....i've always loved the look of white vehicles with all black accents

Reactions: msnowdon
#16 ·
Changed the black emblem I put on the hood for the graphite to match the rest.
View attachment 41146
Pretty cool @msnowdon, how hard was it to remove the old emblems?

These look really good on your XK with the white body color as the background;

I'm not sure these emblems would stand out enough (to my liking) on a darker body color like mine.

But again, very nice work.

#17 ·
@Big Blue , It wasn't hard. I waited to around 5pm after the Jeep has been sitting in the sun all day. Then I used a plastic trim tool to get underneath the letters and pry them off one at a time. I then used Meguiar's Scratch X to remove any remaining residue to give it a nice clean surface to adhere to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.