HID's - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exterior Appearance Mods Discuss exterior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Points: 12,881, Level: 74 Points: 12,881, Level: 74 Points: 12,881, Level: 74
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

HID's

yes another HID thread...through work i can get HID kits for 150 bux (CAD)...the brand is VIsion X i believe...any way i've been hearing both good and bad about adding HID's onto the 06 commander...what are some issues you guys have run into?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommander View Post
what are some issues you guys have run into?
Too many threads to read...

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Points: 12,881, Level: 74 Points: 12,881, Level: 74 Points: 12,881, Level: 74
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

im too lazy to go through them all

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%

I've posted this elsewhere, but oh well.

You'll likely run into the infamous ''soft start'' circuit. (Assuming the HID's will be installed into the headlights) The headlight circuit is not a conventional on/off circuit, it's a transistor driven one to make it easier on the light bulbs. (By eliminating the high inrush current on a cold filament)

So... the HID's start up okay, they just won't shut down. They'll flicker and not restart when you turn the lights on and off. (Or when the computer decides to turn them on/off) That's because the circuit hasn't shut down all the way, and the HID's can't reset and/or restart. The key off for a while or unplugging the HID ballasts lets them restart. Or... you turn off the lights, and the HID's flicker for the next minute or so.

The flickering problem is BAD for the HID's because they're trying to restart themselves with not enough voltage. The ballast can't take that for very long, so the problem MUST be dealt with before installing them into the low beams.

I'll have to try this idea in the next few days when I get time. I think a load resistor will cure the crap. There's plenty around this radio shop to use for experiments. A source for them can be found here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html

Look at the bottom of the page at their load resistors. A lot of vehicles depend on the current of a light bulb, and the resistor can ''fake out'' burned out bulb detection and the like.

I'll post my findings in the next few days on this and the other HID threads. As for now, my new Surco roof rack is waiting for me at home. The HID problem can wait.

Last edited by Adondo; 02-25-2009 at 08:18 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 07:26 AM
Points: 2,393, Level: 29 Points: 2,393, Level: 29 Points: 2,393, Level: 29
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%

Send a message via AIM to armax1980
We need a thread where someone retro in a set of 2009 OEM HID on a 06-08 XK.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Points: 4,396, Level: 42 Points: 4,396, Level: 42 Points: 4,396, Level: 42
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

I installed two kits this week. One I returned because the bulbs did not fit well, there was no relay and NO customer service. I found one on ebay and turns out the distributor is around the corner from me. Digital ballasts, 1 year warranty, very nice quality kits. It took me 10 minutes to test and make sure it worked and 2 hours to beautify and run all the wires and stuff nicely.
Best part, cost me $150 Canadian with everything. Has been installed since Tuesday and works beautifully. If anyone is interested, I will find the link and post.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%

I finally got around to experimenting. I was busy finishing my roof rack light wiring etc.

So... yes, it 'likes' a resistive load. I made up a stack of multi-watt resistors to about 15 ohms, which gives it an amp or so draw.

You should also add a high current capacity diode to the circuit, with the diode's band and/or cathode towards the ballast. The resistor should be on the anode side. That will isolate the ballast's inductive kickback from getting into the Jeep circuits. I doubt the Jeep's circuits take too many times of that happening before something gives.

Another way would be to use a relay, load the relay coil with a resistor, (Tapped to one relay coil leg, the other end to ground) and power the ballast separately from a direct (circuit breaker) battery feed.

The bad news, or at least annoying news, is the two lights seem to be on separate circuits. You'll have to double the above - one for each light.

On edit, it may depend on the HID ballast that's in the kit. Some may well have built in diodes and loading circuits just for such crap. That would explain why some HID conversions have the flickering, won't turn off or restart problem, others don't.

Last edited by Adondo; 03-05-2009 at 08:53 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 03:13 AM
Points: 4,396, Level: 42 Points: 4,396, Level: 42 Points: 4,396, Level: 42
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

Update

Have had the HID's in for over a week now. The only issue I have experienced so far; when you turn off (or the auto lights turn off) the headlights during the day, the Daytime running lights kick in, the dash lights turn off but the HID's stay on. If you shut the car off, or if it is night and the DRL's do not kick in, the HID's shut off no problem. I stopped the other day and the HID's were on. I turned on my 4 way flashers and shut the car off. When I came back to the car, the HID's were still on. It seems as long as there is a signal of some sort, DRL or flashers, the headlights do not shut down. A bit of a pain but not huge in the scheme of things and I love the extra vision at night.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Points: 2,466, Level: 30 Points: 2,466, Level: 30 Points: 2,466, Level: 30
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%

Adondo,
Would this work to stop the flickering and lights staying on?
w w w.hidspeed.com/HID_Digital_Harness_p/acc-warning-cancaller.htm

They also describe some solutions on their FAQ page.

I've bought two kits from them (one for my motorcycle and one for a set of my PIAA 520s and they work really well. I'm just afraid to get a set for my low beams on the Jeep because I don't want to have the same problem as others.

Thanks!
Erik
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 01:08 PM
Points: 8,084, Level: 60 Points: 8,084, Level: 60 Points: 8,084, Level: 60
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%

I originally installed my HID kit with no relays or anything, simply plugged it in. Of course, the flickering problem occurred when the lights were turned off. So, I bought a relay that ran the headlight power from the battery and the HIDs work fine now. The only thing is when initially tuning them on, they flicker for approximately 1-2 seconds, but then stay on no problem (I believe this is normal for HIDs).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in