Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Northwest Central Jersey
I decided that the MileMarker 9500 winch that was on my wife's CJ would best be suited for the XK and gave her the new Superwinch 8500. However the old MileMarker had seen some better days so it needed some dressing up and getting ready for active duty. I decided to make this a different thread from the winch mount install but it is still along the same lines. There were no major issues with the winch other than cosmetic and one leaky seal. The top bars were rusted along with all the hardware and the paint was chipping and faded. Here is what has been done so far:
First I disassembled the winch by removing the bolts from the bars across the top and then split the gear box and motor from the drum. The gear box seal had dried out and was leaking a little so I added some gasket maker and resealed the case. Here you can see the gearbox on the left, motor in the middle, and the solenoid box bracket on the right.
Here is the drum with the cable tied to it so it doesn't unroll however it will need to be respooled because it was a mess to begin with.
This is the motor and solenoid box bracket with one coat of paint.
I used some Forever Black on the solenoid box to make it look a little better. For anyone who has the black plastic trim parts that have started to fade this is a must have.
And I used the last of my color match paint to dress up the cross bars and some of the hardware.
Bright Silver 4.7L 2.25 RR/OME lift, Kumho KL71 265/70/17, Flashpaq, Lights, rack, intake, Super44, mopar skids, 4x belly guard, rear fog lights, MM9500 winch, GetLost4x4 winch mount
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.