Quieting a noisy roof rack... - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exterior Appearance Mods Discuss exterior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58 Points: 7,664, Level: 58
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quieting a noisy roof rack...

I installed a Surco roof rack a month or so ago. Love the rack, HATE the noise. Anything over 40 MPH was like listening to a radio tower roar in an 85 MPH wind. My fuel mileage has taken a plummet also. The wind roar destroyed the conversional quietness of the Commander.

So, I tried this idea. I bought a piece of 4 inch ABS (e.g. sewer) pipe. I cut it in two, lengthwise. That's quite a trick, by the way. I used a radial arm saw. I needed to add a wedge in the cut side as it went because the pipe's in a bind and tries to close back up, stalling the blade. The second cut is easy to do.

I flipped the upper lights around so they'd hang lower, then notched the half-pipe for them. At first, I used electrical tape for the test drive, then bolts later to make it permanent.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

I also put 3/8'' rubber fuel line up into the open space of the cross bars to get rid of the ''flute'' whistling. There's still a little wind whistle, but it's nothing like it was before.

From the front:

Closer view:

From the side. It's pretty simple.

I don't think it looks all that bad. I was about ready to build a wing or spoiler in front of the rack, but this was easier.

Last edited by Adondo; 04-24-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Points: 2,144, Level: 27 Points: 2,144, Level: 27 Points: 2,144, Level: 27
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

Man thats absolutely ingenious. I cant believe all the tricks you come up with for the xk.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Points: 11,044, Level: 69 Points: 11,044, Level: 69 Points: 11,044, Level: 69
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%

I have the Surco rack and I do not notice any additional noise. Could it be the lights?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
That's one find job of thinkin there.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
When I had the Defender light cage on my truck I had a lot of wind noise. The regular Defender rack has been silent for me.

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: HueyPilotVN
I noticed a small SUV with a roof rack at the stoplight the other day. It had a wing type of air deflector at the front and inside the roof rack. At first I thought it was a sun roof that was popped up like they sometimes do. As I looked closer I could see that it was a metal or fiberglass wing. It must be for the same reason. Fortunately we have not had any wind noise from the factory roof pod. I have only removed it once, and that was to clean it and check it. Also, even though it covers the sat antenna, it does not interfere with reception.

Adondo,

You do come up with some interesting projects. Maybe we should start calling your Rube, a gadget guy like me.

I am very lucky to have some world class projects to occupy my mind. It is also nice to have a bunch of craftsmen to make our ideas into reality.

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away...and got it back again.

Last edited by HueyPilotVN; 04-24-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in