Finally, the camera. This is the back of the door latch trim. A is the camera. B is the special plug that connects to the camera. So much for making an extension cord!
Time to shift to plan B. How about cutting the special plug off and adding cable to it? Then I could mount the camera anywhere. The original plan was to put the camera out on the carrier somewhere. Now I realized that would require a long cable run and more lines passing between the hatch and body. So new plan popped in: Put the camera INSIDE the hatch! No long cables to run, protected from weather, etc.
The pigtail cut off the wire. The tape was already there. This gave me my working line.
Wires on the camera:
Black....-- signal line?
Green -- power lines?
Traced the wires back to the connector, and found what wires changed color:
red..........green w/ black stripe
black.......green w/ brown stripe
shield.......green w/ white stripe
brown.......white w/ green stripe
No problem, right? Now I know which lines to tap in to. Everything went fine until I hit the black wire - there's two of them in the harness! I picked one and it works.
So here was the idea: Pick a spot on the top of the hatch to mount the camera. Splice the pigtail in to the wiring harness, using the colors above. Mount the camera and pray.
As a test, I picked a spot where I thought the camera would work, exposed some wires, and did some cutting and splicing. The camera worked! So I then soldered up all the splices and mounted the camera.
Here was the first mounting. Cut the trim by trial and error until it fit. Slabbed on some gobs of 5-minute epoxy and let it sit.
The problem: the plug fit so snugly the other side won't latch on. Fortunately, the 5-minute epoxy was lazy and hadn't completely set, so it came back apart.
the solution: screws always work. I found a scrap angle laying around and put it to work on one side. The other just used a screw into the plastic