Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 1233456
Relocating the OEM Back-up Camera

The Great Commander Camera Moving Project

The problem: Installed my spiffy new Get Lost 4x4 rear tire carrier recently. I ordered the offset mount to keep my rear camera, but Ross no longer sells that version. The backup sensors scream about the carrier, so they are turned off.

Here's the problem: the camera gives a great view of the backside of the can carrier. Not very helpful. Especially when the 3rd row is full of car seats.

So, it was time to move the camera. I had great dreams that it used a standard RCA jack or some such connector that would make for an easy extension cable. Alas, 'twas not to be.

I started with the idea of taking pictures as I went along. However, I kind of forgot that part. The next picture is after the hatch trim is already off and the door latch trim is loose (whatever you call it). The trim came off with a combination of screws, one forlorn torx head, and a bunch of tabs. Only one of which died on removal / reinstall.

The trim is off the hatch. The door latch/camera trim is held by two clips and two bolts. The bolts hold this side of the latch cable in place. And they're 10mm nuts, of course. Here the cable end is hanging free

Here's the big hole in the center of the door panel, once insulation is removed. A shows where the door latch / camera bolts came through. B is the connector plug that will be important later.

continued...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Points: 10,780, Level: 68 Points: 10,780, Level: 68 Points: 10,780, Level: 68
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
4WD
part deux

Finally, the camera. This is the back of the door latch trim. A is the camera. B is the special plug that connects to the camera. So much for making an extension cord!

Time to shift to plan B. How about cutting the special plug off and adding cable to it? Then I could mount the camera anywhere. The original plan was to put the camera out on the carrier somewhere. Now I realized that would require a long cable run and more lines passing between the hatch and body. So new plan popped in: Put the camera INSIDE the hatch! No long cables to run, protected from weather, etc.

The pigtail cut off the wire. The tape was already there. This gave me my working line.
Wires on the camera:
Red.....\
Black....-- signal line?
Sheild../
Brown -\
Green -- power lines?

Traced the wires back to the connector, and found what wires changed color:
camera........harness
red..........green w/ black stripe
black.......green w/ brown stripe
shield.......green w/ white stripe
brown.......white w/ green stripe
green........black

No problem, right? Now I know which lines to tap in to. Everything went fine until I hit the black wire - there's two of them in the harness! I picked one and it works.

So here was the idea: Pick a spot on the top of the hatch to mount the camera. Splice the pigtail in to the wiring harness, using the colors above. Mount the camera and pray.

As a test, I picked a spot where I thought the camera would work, exposed some wires, and did some cutting and splicing. The camera worked! So I then soldered up all the splices and mounted the camera.

Here was the first mounting. Cut the trim by trial and error until it fit. Slabbed on some gobs of 5-minute epoxy and let it sit.

The problem: the plug fit so snugly the other side won't latch on. Fortunately, the 5-minute epoxy was lazy and hadn't completely set, so it came back apart.

the solution: screws always work. I found a scrap angle laying around and put it to work on one side. The other just used a screw into the plastic

one more...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Points: 10,780, Level: 68 Points: 10,780, Level: 68 Points: 10,780, Level: 68
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%

4WD
end of the trilogy

So here it is in place and ready to go. When all done, I realized it looked like it was angled out to one side. I decided to wait on the results before adjusting.

The test:

backed up close to the yellow boy.

the view through the rear-view mirror. Toddlers in the 3rd row make for lousy rear-views.

The camera Lives! We're quite happy with the view. I might make minor angle changes later, but now we have a camera.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Trim Package: Sport
4WD
Current Mileage: HueyPilotVN
Good Job. I was considering mounting a new camera above the third brake light on the outside of the rear hatch and just splicing into the cable. Thanks for doing the research and showing the way. I recently bought a security camera that has color and switches to infrared at night. It uses 12 volts so I think it will work and it is an exterior camera.

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away...and got it back again.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Points: 19,553, Level: 88 Points: 19,553, Level: 88 Points: 19,553, Level: 88
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

Greatjob SESPE, thanks for sharing
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Points: 12,259, Level: 72 Points: 12,259, Level: 72 Points: 12,259, Level: 72
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

That's cool, Kudos!

P.S. I really love the spare tire on the back! First time I've seen it on an XK.

2008 Jeep Commander XK Sport, Name: WAR MACHINE
"Mineral Gray Metallic Exterior On Mineral Gray Metallic Wheels"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Great write-up. I know I plan to add a tire carrier and this mod will have to eventually be done on mine as well.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Points: 12,259, Level: 72 Points: 12,259, Level: 72 Points: 12,259, Level: 72
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by a49erFan View Post
Great write-up. I know I plan to add a tire carrier and this mod will have to eventually be done on mine as well.
Can't wait to see this!

2008 Jeep Commander XK Sport, Name: WAR MACHINE
"Mineral Gray Metallic Exterior On Mineral Gray Metallic Wheels"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 12:21 AM
Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100

Trim Package: Sport
4WD
Current Mileage: HueyPilotVN
Jon, I found this old thread. We should do both of ours at the same time. I was going to mount a camera I bought for security on the outside above the rear hatch, but this seems more practical and would protect the camera better as well as reusing the existing camera. If we get organized we could probably do both on the same day. Maybe get Josh to do the work and just watch him or maybe if Psycho comes to Silverton we could talk him into it. As I think about it lets con...oops encourage Sespe Commander into a repeat or even a threepeat at Silverton. Lets make up such a good story about an ultimate door prize for the drawing that he will have to come there. I know that the million dollar prize for lowest ET at the drag races got you motivated...

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away...and got it back again.

Last edited by HueyPilotVN; 04-15-2010 at 12:24 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Thanks Huey, This looks like the way to go. I too forgot about this thread.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/42-exterior-appearance-mods/8902-relocating-oem-back-up-camera.html
Posted By For Type Date
Ko?o na klapie Commander This thread Refback 09-14-2016 06:16 AM