OEM 7 pin trailer wiring harness - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Exterior Appearance Mods Discuss exterior appearance mods here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Points: 680, Level: 13 Points: 680, Level: 13 Points: 680, Level: 13
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

OEM 7 pin trailer wiring harness

The MOPAR directions look terrible. I'm looking to wire in a 7 pin OEM harness after I bolt in the OEM hitch. The directions look like you make various connections and splices under the hood near the PDC or other fuse box like thing.
This is an 09 HEMI. Anyone done this or have pics? The OEM hitch install thread in this forum is great for bolting up the hardware, but doesn't address the harness.
I need the 7 pin to tow my car carrier trailer. Since the only time I will be towing this particular trailer is when it is empty, I do not need a trailer brake controller (open top, so it is well under a ton). I also want to keep this truck wholly OEM. I have enough vehicles I spend a lot of time under already, I don't want this to be one of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 08:51 AM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

Mine came wired so can't help other than to say I searched the forum on trailer wiring and got some hits that looked like they might help you.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Help - wiring diagram 2009 Limited HEMI?

Well, I tried with the MOPAR harness using these mopar directions: http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82211150.pdf

They call for plugging and splicing four wires into four ports on two modules out of a PDC right behind the battery. They are actually pretty simple directions, I know I followed them right. I got the computer flashed at the dealer. At that point:

Windshiled wipers and fluid motor in the truck inoperable.

At the 7 pin:
Ground good.
Positive good.
Backup on all the time.
Nothing else had power at any time.

It turns out the Cav 16 red and purple wire in connector C1, which the directions say to "remove if applicable" needs power for the wipers to work.

Also on connector C2 Cav 2 contains a red wire, not a white and light green wire that the directions indicate.

I brought everything back to stock (wipers work, but of course not the 7 pin) and am in email dialog with JustForJeeps, which sold me the kit. They claim to have a tech looking at it. I could probably figure this out with some trial and error with a wiring diagram for my truck (09 limited hemi). The area I am looking for is the power distribution center right behind the batter that contains two pop out modules with about 20 wires each in them.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: HueyPilotVN
If you use the bottom wiring diagram ( trailer to truck ) you can see how everything except the brake wiring which you do not seem to need and the charging circuit which you do not need if you do not have a battery in the trailer can be connected at the back of your Commander.

The easiest way might be to connect inside of the tail lights. They come off very easy and you could splice inside the housing. There are pictures of how to remove the tail light housing and pictures of the wiring also.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/trail...ng-diagram.htm

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away...and got it back again.

Last edited by HueyPilotVN; 04-14-2010 at 04:10 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

I probably should have done an aftermarket wire from the tail lights kit, but I wanted to go OEM, thinking maybe they had accounted for potential power draws vs. in place fuses (which an aftermarket kit can't really do).
I know what is on each 7 pin pin etc.
The OEM harness is self contained up to the firewall, and splits off there. I'd rather keep it that way, and I already ran it back to the rear. The OEM 7 poin connector will not work with an aftermerket harness, only with the EOM harness.
In other words, I want to work with what I have and not dump more money into this project. To do that I need to know what the wires in the OEM harness power at the 7 pin (easy enough to figure out) and what each of the 50 or so wires in the PDC connectors power (need diagram).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Points: 1,249, Level: 19 Points: 1,249, Level: 19 Points: 1,249, Level: 19
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%

I have searched the forums and internet and cant find clear instructions on what wires to splice ect. I have a 2007 Jeep commander and just installed my factory hitch and bezel. I have the factory 4 wire harness and just confused on the instructions, they are not very clear. if someone could let me know if they have some more detailed instructions that has installed one before

thanks in advance
Andrew
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76 Points: 13,779, Level: 76
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

I just installed a 7 pin tow wiring and it went without a "hitch". I'm thinking maybe you pulled the wires out from the wrong cavs, I don't remember pulling out a red or red and purple wire from either of the two cavs. It is difficult to identify which cavs you're looking at but if you look at the bottom of the fuse box where the plugs were removed from you will see tiny numbers that identify which cavs they are, you can view those to confirm you're looking at the right ones. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Appearance Modifications > Exterior Appearance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in