Jeep Commander Forum banner

Dealership Forgot to Fill Oil after Oil Change

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  vjsimone 
#1 ·
I took the Jeep in for an oil change last week.

Yesterday I noticed a chime going off occasionally, but no lights came on.

Eventually, I noticed the oil lamp flash on for a very brief moment.

I checked the oil; dipstick was dry.

After adding 5 quarts, it's just below the bottom of the "safe" zone." It could probably take another 1/2 to full quart.

I called the dealership to discuss the issue, they asked for my odometer reading, which was about 2000 miles more than when I took it in last week for the oil change.

They said a quart every 750 miles is normal usage, I said bs, that is just an excuse for not filling it up.

So now what do I do? If I have engine issues down the road, I'm sure it will be because of them not filling it with oil.

There was no ticking or any indication of blue smoke from the exhaust, and no engine oil leaks.

This was my first oil change after I purchased it from them in August.

Also, how could this thing keep running with essentially no oil in it and why wouldn't the warning light come on way sooner?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this...

See less See more
#2 ·
From everything I have read, when the light comes on, you are literally about to destroy the engine if you don't address it immediately. I'm not sure why the light does not come on when it is only down one or two quarts. The only thing that make sense, is that when that light comes on and there is engine damage, having the light on and code will tell them what caused the damage.

That number of one quart per 750 miles is published and not just a Jeep thing. Ever since I read that craziness, I have been checking my oil every weekend (used to be like every other week or so).

Document everything and make sure you have it in case there is an issue down the line.

#4 ·
That number of one quart per 750 miles is published and not just a Jeep thing. Ever since I read that craziness, I have been checking my oil every weekend (used to be like every other week or so).

Document everything and make sure you have it in case there is an issue down the line.
****... not even my 1994 7.3L Powerstroke burns oil that bad. My commander burns maybe half a quart every 6-7K miles. I use Mobil 1.

But I do agree in documentation, I keep a spread sheet of everything I do to these cars, and when, and how many miles.

#3 ·
Thank you for the feedback!

I've had around 40 cars over the past 30 years of driving, everything from $500 junkers to new cars. I've never had an engine oil issue in any of them, ever, until now.

My old '69 Dodge Charger used to set the oil light if it was 1 quart low, and that was a rare occasion since I stay on top of oil changes before you would ever think to worry about the oil level!

It is beyond me how these new high tech engines would not have more safeguard on what is probably the most critical performance indicator of any engine, oil level/pressure...

It is running smooth, with no indication there was ever a problem, but only time will tell now.

I'll check the oil level every day until the next oil change to see if it is actually using any oil or if they just did not fill it up properly on the last oil change.

Fingers crossed for now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.