Fully Sealed Hemi Cold Air Intake? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Intakes Questions or advice about intakes? This is the place...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Points: 5,850, Level: 49 Points: 5,850, Level: 49 Points: 5,850, Level: 49
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fully Sealed Hemi Cold Air Intake?

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and technically do not own a commander yet! I'm looking at getting one within the next couple of weeks. But right now just looking at some mods etc.

So, I looked through many of the CAI threads and could not find exactly what I'm looking for. My commander will be my daily driver. I want the hemi only. I drive 55 miles a day to college and looking for best gas mileage. I also travel to silver lake and will pull a 3000 pound trailer 600 miles. At silver lake, it will be taken on the dunes. I want the best performance, with the best millage. Right now, K&N looks like the best choice. Trying to keep it the same price as the K&N,.

Not to offend anyone, I have seen several of custom made intakes on this website. However, I want a fully sealed system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Points: 2,162, Level: 28 Points: 2,162, Level: 28 Points: 2,162, Level: 28
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTheSix View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and technically do not own a commander yet! I'm looking at getting one within the next couple of weeks. But right now just looking at some mods etc.

So, I looked through many of the CAI threads and could not find exactly what I'm looking for. My commander will be my daily driver. I want the hemi only. I drive 55 miles a day to college and looking for best gas mileage. I also travel to silver lake and will pull a 3000 pound trailer 600 miles. At silver lake, it will be taken on the dunes. I want the best performance, with the best millage. Right now, K&N looks like the best choice. Trying to keep it the same price as the K&N,.

Not to offend anyone, I have seen several of custom made intakes on this website. However, I want a fully sealed system.

Hello RipTheSix,

The Overall Quality of Components, FIT & Finish, and Performance of the AIRAID are 2nd to None!

All AIRAID Intake are Made in the USA and Feature our Lifetime “No-Hassle” Warranty!

Thanks,
David
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTheSix View Post
You will NOT find a "fully Sealed system", If you did you would more than likely be looking at a snorkel like I have. All CAI have open spots to allow air into the filter portion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Points: 2,796, Level: 32 Points: 2,796, Level: 32 Points: 2,796, Level: 32
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%

CAI is designed to suck in as much cold air as possible so like it was mentioned the filters are generally exposed to the air. If you want a more sealed system then simply keep the stock air filter setup but put a K&N filter into the stock airbox instead of the factory air filter. That will give it some more breathing power.

Silver 06 Commander Limited w/ HEMI and QDII, 245/70/17 Firestone Destination A/T, 2" Rough Country lift
09 Buell 1125CR
Past Cars Recent to Past: 06 Prius, 02 Camaro SS, 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 01 Plymouth Prowler, 02 Dodge Dakota, 98 Toyota MR2, 96 Cavalier
Past Bikes: 05 Harley Deluxe, 03 Harley Sportster, 06 Suzuki SV650, 04 Suzuki TL1000
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Points: 1,257, Level: 19 Points: 1,257, Level: 19 Points: 1,257, Level: 19
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%

Im pretty sure when he says fully sealed he means sealed from the engine bay warm air. A sealed CAI draw only fresh air from outside the engine bay. Not water tight. No intake is literally sealed, otherwise its not an intake.

Ill be building a stainless sealed box within the next 2 weeks and a 4" intake, Ill post up pics when Im done.

Last edited by Christopher.Rice; 02-04-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Left out info
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Points: 5,850, Level: 49 Points: 5,850, Level: 49 Points: 5,850, Level: 49
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

I guess I miss spoke, I met a system with a shield. Ive see several DIY intakes where the air filter just hangs in the engine bay.

I just purchased the AEM Brute Force Intake. Actually looking at it right now. Ill have my jeep next Friday, I'm going to wait about a week or so until I install this intake.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Points: 8,145, Level: 60 Points: 8,145, Level: 60 Points: 8,145, Level: 60
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

The K&N setup I had in my Commander had a shield exactly like the one pictured above on the Airaid. If the AEM is the same, you'll just need to fabricate a box around where the filter sits that conforms to the shape of the side of the engine compartment and has a bottom. You can work out whether it needs a top (removable so you can access the filter) or if a gasket around the top will suffice. I don't think the stock filter box is shaped right to be adapted to enclosing the cone filter.

06 Commander Base Dark Khaki |
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Points: 4,366, Level: 42 Points: 4,366, Level: 42 Points: 4,366, Level: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawoody View Post
CAI is designed to suck in as much cold air as possible so like it was mentioned the filters are generally exposed to the air. If you want a more sealed system then simply keep the stock air filter setup but put a K&N filter into the stock airbox instead of the factory air filter. That will give it some more breathing power.
That is what I did, I bought the K&N filter. What I would like to do is replace the tube from the box to the throttle body.

Old Rides: 2007 Black XK Sport 4.7 L: Totalled:
2006 Light Graystone XK Limited Hemi : Traded-in
New Ride: 2012 Dodge Charger R/T

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.
Prof. Albert Einstein
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Points: 2,162, Level: 28 Points: 2,162, Level: 28 Points: 2,162, Level: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjacobsjr View Post
That is what I did, I bought the K&N filter. What I would like to do is replace the tube from the box to the throttle body.
Hello wmjacobsjr,

We offer our MIT tube that will replace the OEM tube from the box to the throttle body. P/N 310-970.

Thanks,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications > Intakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in