3.7L K&N intake installed! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Intakes Questions or advice about intakes? This is the place...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Points: 678, Level: 13 Points: 678, Level: 13 Points: 678, Level: 13
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

3.7L K&N intake installed!

So I decided to buy the K&N 63-1545 package. Assembly was fairly easy although the instructions and pictures aren't all that fantastic. Once tightened down, the heat shield and intake tube are very secure. If you decide to buy the kit, I recommend putting together the heat shield first but leave all the fittings loose. Tighten everything down once the heat shield is fitted in place. Also, one of the rubber studs broke off when I was tightening it down so don't over torque the hardware. Fortunately my Commander doesn't have the vacuum canister so I was able to use the the bolt and spacers in its place. One thing which the instructions point out is "some trimming of the the crank case vent hose may be necessary". It definitely doesn't fit as well as I had hoped without some modification. My question to all the resident experts is will kinking of the hose cause any problems or loss of performance? I'm a little reluctant to trim the existing rubber part of the hose because I don't think it will fit any better. If anything, I think I'll have to actually cut the plastic part of the hose and splice on some rubber hose to the end. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

My impression overall is that the kit is decent if you find a good price. My 3.7 seems more responsive but it's too early to tell how much of an improvement I'll see with gas mileage. Also, I was a bit surprised that I didn't notice that significant of a difference in sound compared to other kits I've installed on other vehicles. It looks pretty good under the hood, not too flashy or trashy.

All in all the K&N 63-1545 gets 3.5 out of 5 (s)

2007 3.7L Silver Rocky Mountain Edition - K&N 63-1545 intake

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Photo of kinked area would be helpful (I know what a kinked hose looks like, just want to see enouph where maybe I could give an idea)

This hose is a crankcase pressure relief.
Blow by gases are directed into the intake flow for reburning.
A kinked hose can cause gasket and seal failure due to internal pressure building up.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Rob,

Here are some pictures. Thanks for your help.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 09:27 PM

I don't like that a bit.
Too kinked down low.
Take that hose off the hard plastic tube and head over to a auto parts store with a good selection of coolant by-pass hoses.

You should be able to find a preformed correct diameter something you can modify for this.
Then you can put the old hose with the airbox in case you ever return to stock configuration.

Good luck,
Rob

|
|
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Cool, I'll have to give that a try. Part of the problem is the plastic part of the tube is almost long enough to connect to the fitting on the intake. I had thought about taking some length off the plastic tube but like you stated, it would be nice to leave it as is in case I had to revert back to the stock air box.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

To follow up on my original post, I decided to cut the plastic tube since it wasn't very secure and the stock length was too long in my opinion to fit well with the K&N intake elbow. The pen in the photo below marks where I cut the tube just after the bend. To make the cut, I wrapped several layers of electrical tape around the tube, scored around the edge of the tape with a cut off wheel using a Dremel tool at a very slow speed. Last, I used a fine tooth blade on a hacksaw to finish the cut. I reconnected the tube to the end of the rubber hose closest to the firewall first and then slid on the other end of the rubber hose on and connected it to the intake elbow. The tube doesn't flop around anymore and hopefully the ventilation is adequate.

My new rating on the K&N intake is 4 out of 5 (s)

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 06:55 AM

That'll work.
Well done!

Rob

|
|
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Points: 2,049, Level: 27 Points: 2,049, Level: 27 Points: 2,049, Level: 27
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

i just did the exact same install last week. so far i love it, engine sounds better and i definitely notice a better response. i was driving back to school and noticed a 2 MPG improvement according to the commanders computer but im keeping a log of miles per tank now to see the actual improvement. great pictures! mine are a little darker but i may post them later for anyone who wants to see them.

thanks for the pics of cutting the hose, next time I'm home I'll probably do the same thing. did you have to reroute the hose? it looks like its bending in a different direction after the cut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications > Intakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in