Suggestions for 3.7 Intake - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Intakes Questions or advice about intakes? This is the place...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Points: 697, Level: 13 Points: 697, Level: 13 Points: 697, Level: 13
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Suggestions for 3.7 Intake

Hey everyone,
I've been looking over the forums for the past few days and have really loved everything that I've been reading on here. I bought an 3.7L 07' Commander in August 09' and I love it. I'm just getting around to starting some mods. I started with the easy stuff (Window Tints, etc.). I really am interested to see what people would recommend for buying a CAI.

I don't want to rule any brands out, K&N and AEM are really the only reputable ones i've heard of.

I don't want to break the bank on this either so anyone have a place where I can get something for under $300 shipped?

How easy are they to install? Would it be worth paying a mechanic to do it? I'd consider myself very handy, but when it comes to cars, i know very little.

I was looking online at the K&N 77 series...are these any good?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70 Points: 11,274, Level: 70
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

I've got the K&N 77 CAI and a Magnaflow muffler - my signature has the specifics - and I'm very happy. I think I paid about $280 at a local shop here in COS for the CAI alone. Since I put both on at the same time as the lift and tires, I can't say it increased gas mileage - but it definitely sounds and feels better! Here is a clip of how it sounds:

And you don't need to pay anyone to install it - very quick, straightforward and easy to do yourself. I think it took me right at an hour in the garage.

2006 Inferno Red 3.7L 4x4 QTI, RR 2.25" Lift, AEV Pintler 17x8.5" Wheels, 255/75-17 BFG M/T KMs, K&N CAI 77-1545KP, MagnaFlow Muffler, 4XGuard Side Guards, Rear Grab Handles, Front Tow Hooks and OEM Trailer Hitch, Fog Lights, Yakima MegaWarrior w/ Extension and 4XGuard Belly Guard.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Points: 473, Level: 9 Points: 473, Level: 9 Points: 473, Level: 9
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

if you do a lot of off-roading in dusty environments i would strongly recommend staying with the stock paper air filter. i used a drop-in K&N filter in my stock airbox and found a lot of dirt and dust inside my throttle body... after switching back to the paper element the TB was clean inside.

another option you have is to run an outerwear over the gauze/cotton filter. but this is almost a step backwards after you have spent all that money on the CAI as it will decrease the flow.

IMO these are not really hot rods and typically more suited for their torque and off-road abilities and the money spent on a CAI might be better applied to improving the offroad capabilities or armor.

JMHO

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Points: 697, Level: 13 Points: 697, Level: 13 Points: 697, Level: 13
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%

Thanks guys,

@bjamrow- I was looking at the K&N kit below the 77 i believe it's the 63. That looks to be more of the price range I was looking for (found it for $266 shipped on ebay). A buddy of mine offered his hand in showing me how to install. He did a dual intake on his Inifiniti G37 and WOW. It sounds great. Apparently he knows what he's doing so I'll take an hour or so and give it a whirl myself with his guidance. I like the sound of your Magnaflow muffler. it really had a nice aggressive sound to it and didn't sound like a lawn mower (ex. Honda Civic Tuner). I'm really trying to stay away from that "cheap" sound (you know exactly what I mean). To me your Magnaflow sounds like a tuned WRX, which IMHO, sounds awesome. How much for the mufflers and can you point me in the right direction for that?

@doc in AZ

Thanks for your input. However, off roading, in the traditional sense, would be illogical for me and my family. I will certainly be taking it on the beach, over small dunes, through VERY light trails, dirt driveways and the like but we live just outside of Philly and do mostly highway driving. I love the idea of that OUTERWEAR. I'm picking one up with the CAI when I make my purchase.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Points: 743, Level: 14 Points: 743, Level: 14 Points: 743, Level: 14
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%

Send a message via AIM to Jeepmansho Send a message via Skype™ to Jeepmansho
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMCDONALD View Post
Thanks guys,

@bjamrow- I was looking at the K&N kit below the 77 i believe it's the 63. That looks to be more of the price range I was looking for (found it for $266 shipped on ebay). A buddy of mine offered his hand in showing me how to install. He did a dual intake on his Inifiniti G37 and WOW. It sounds great. Apparently he knows what he's doing so I'll take an hour or so and give it a whirl myself with his guidance. I like the sound of your Magnaflow muffler. it really had a nice aggressive sound to it and didn't sound like a lawn mower (ex. Honda Civic Tuner). I'm really trying to stay away from that "cheap" sound (you know exactly what I mean). To me your Magnaflow sounds like a tuned WRX, which IMHO, sounds awesome. How much for the mufflers and can you point me in the right direction for that?

well i dont know if i would ever compare the 3.7 to any "tuner" type engine out there like when you say civic there are plenty of engines out there like b18 or b16a2 type 4 cyl Vtec ( Valve timing electronic control) witch gives that tuner type sound at high rpm or the WRX that you mention witch has a Porsche inspired boxer engine witch is also turbocharged that gives a deeper tone seeing how it doesn't rev as high. the magnaflow does sound nice but not to burst anyone's bubble the camera is right next to the exhaust so im sure it wont sound as beefy while in car driving also you shouldn't need your friends help with a intake they are incredibly easy to install just a couple of screws and possible clamps and then fitting the new tube in and walla your done

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 3.7L Light Khaki (BONE STOCK) Until I get home from IRAQ
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 05:31 AM
Points: 3,057, Level: 34 Points: 3,057, Level: 34 Points: 3,057, Level: 34
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%

3.7 Cold Air Intake

Hello,
My company is in the process of designing a CAI for the 3.7 Jeep commander. The idea is to offer a better product than the K&N system at a lower price.
It will use 3" polished aluminum tubing, washable high flow cone filter and a powder coated sheet metal box, to isolate the filter from the engine compartment. Pricing will be somewhere in the range of $180.00-$210.00 depending on the brand of air filter used.

Is everyone hooked on K&N filters or should we offer a lower cost, but still a quality washable filter?

Let us know your opinions and ideas on how we should offer this kit to the jeep community. This way the product will appeal to more jeep enthusiasts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Points: 1,537, Level: 22 Points: 1,537, Level: 22 Points: 1,537, Level: 22
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

Looks like no one has really anwered you on this so I signed up specifically to add my opinion on this subject.

As far as me I stay away from K&N intakes for the sole reason that I live and drive in a highly dusty enviroment everyday. We currently own 3 very different vehicles none of which will have a K&N. My gmc runs a washable oiled volant CAI with a prefilter.

There is an increasing amount of reports I have read listened to and have had friends and family now say that the K&N does a great job with increasing air flow while letting more dust and other particulates into the engine. I currently have had no problem with my volant on my gm's 5.3, but volant is not offering a CAI for the 3.7 in the commanders.

I personally would love to see another CAI come out for the 3.7. At the very least it will give more selection to the "3.7L red headed step children of the commander world". I guess in short yes please design and manufacture a better (less exspensive would be nice) CAI for the 3.7s. As of myself and many family and friends, we are definitly not stuck on K&Ns. Yet this is all based on opinion and personal experience, so please anyone offended from my book of a post refrain from verbally "tar and feathering me"!

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide App
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Mopar makes a CAI for the Dodge Nitro 3.7. Does anyone actually know who makes this for Mopar? I wonder if this would fit the Commander 3.7?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications > Intakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in