Throttle Body Cover Uninstall - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Intakes Questions or advice about intakes? This is the place...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,662, Level: 23 Points: 1,662, Level: 23 Points: 1,662, Level: 23
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Throttle Body Cover Uninstall

I have a 2006 Jeep Commander with the 3.7L V6, With about 5,500 miles on it. I installed a new K&N Air Filter and was going to clean the throttle body, For the life of me I can't figure out how the black throttle body plastic box cover comes off. I also notice that the upper sway bar goes right across the top of the throttle body cover as well. Does anyone know how to get the sucker off! I am going to do the relearning procedure that was mentioned on the forum as well. Any help in this dept. would be Highly appreciated!!!!! Thanks..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 07:21 AM
Points: 7,070, Level: 55 Points: 7,070, Level: 55 Points: 7,070, Level: 55
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Re: Throttle Body Cover Uninstall

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck
I have a 2006 Jeep Commander with the 3.7L V6, With about 5,500 miles on it. I installed a new K&N Air Filter and was going to clean the throttle body, For the life of me I can't figure out how the black throttle body plastic box cover comes off. I also notice that the upper sway bar goes right across the top of the throttle body cover as well. Does anyone know how to get the sucker off! I am going to do the relearning procedure that was mentioned on the forum as well. Any help in this dept. would be Highly appreciated!!!!! Thanks..........
Hey there, here are my thoughts:

1. No need to clean your throttle body, and if you do, take it completely off the vehicle, spray it out, carefully NOT getting teh electrical parts wet, and let it dry before hookiung it back up. In the old days when you could run a vehicle and spray cleaner, it would be drawn into engin and burn off, but when you have to spray the cleaner with the vehicle off, all you do is let the cleaner puddle in the intake, or maybe even run into a cyl. that has the intake valve open and wash the oil off the sides of the cyl. wall. Just a bad idea all around and unnecessary, especially if you have been running a paper filter. After time running the K&N, you will need to, as it lets more particulate matter in.

2. The 'cover' if I am following you is the resonator/silencer box that mounts in front of the throttle body? It is a simple 2-3 bolts (where the box sits on teh intake manifold), and the clamp that holds it to the airbox hose, and throttle body, pretty easy. Never popped the hood on a 3.7, but I assume it is the same as the 4.7.

3. The upper bar is not a sway bar, but a strut tower brace.

2006 Commander 4.7 w/ QTII
2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R VDC (the wife's ride)
1986 Olds 442
1976 Porsche 912 E
(being resurrected)
2005 Yamaha FJR 1300
1979 Yamaha XS1100
1978 Yamaha XS750
[/B]
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,662, Level: 23 Points: 1,662, Level: 23 Points: 1,662, Level: 23
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%

Thanks for getting back to me, as for cleaning I meet to say using a throttle body spray cleaner that you spray into it while the engine is running. Thanks again for clearing up my mistake (upper sway bar) being a strut tower brace, duh on my part. I didn't see any bolts holding the box down, however they might be buried under it somewhere, I will have a closer look see and see what I can find. Thanks again for the info.......

To date I have tired erasing the memory and that has worked out like a champ!!! better shifting from the transmission, and adding a K&N air filter.
If all goes well like I think it will I will start on the exhust system to make the beast breath better..........

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Points: 3,112, Level: 34 Points: 3,112, Level: 34 Points: 3,112, Level: 34
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck
I didn't see any bolts holding the box down, however they might be buried under it somewhere...
Check the left and right side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications > Intakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in