Tornado - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Intakes Questions or advice about intakes? This is the place...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned
Points: 1,104, Level: 18 Points: 1,104, Level: 18 Points: 1,104, Level: 18
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Tornado

I have had one of these in the FIPK of my 4.0 L Cherokee for approx. 6 years now. Wondering if anyone here has heard of these? Pretty much used to only get them at local speedshops but now I see Tornado has a website now, and a video to watch on its homepage in case your curious. Enjoy!

TORNADO Air Management Systems :: More Power! More Mileage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Points: 6,645, Level: 53 Points: 6,645, Level: 53 Points: 6,645, Level: 53
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

Did it give you any mpg gains on your Cherokee? I was looking at some other gimmics online like the gas magnets or the vortec cyclone which is a aluminum vortech that you put on the air intake and causes the air to form a vortech there for making it more fuel efficient. I wonder if anyone on the forum has tried any of these gimmics well I guess we'll find out.

06 Jeep Commander 4.7 QT II wih RC lift, Superchips 3872 and 245/75R17 Thunderer MT Tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fco27 View Post
Did it give you any mpg gains on your Cherokee? I was looking at some other gimmics online like the gas magnets or the vortec cyclone which is a aluminum vortech that you put on the air intake and causes the air to form a vortech there for making it more fuel efficient. I wonder if anyone on the forum has tried any of these gimmics well I guess we'll find out.
When I did all the bolt on's to my 4.0 L 6 yrs ago I bought the Tornado (in the case of the Cherokee the FIPK K&N kit has a 2 7/8" tube leading into the TB so I have a ki-75 Tornado in it which is 75 mm but has a + or - of 4mm). I installed these together along with the programming, all at once. Lots of extra power (roughly 30-35 hp/torque) w/ the Hypertech programming and the FIPK/Tornado install. I did all 3 things at once, so I have no way of knowing what each piece did for me separately. Now I can say that before these improvement to the 2000 Cherokee I was getting around 15 to 18 mpg (city/hwy) and after I was getting roughly 17/21 and the power was noticeably improved, but do I know for sure the Tornado gained me any more power by itself? No. Do I know if it gained me any more gas mileage by itself? No. But I've always suspected its helped a very little bit at least. But hard evidence, no, sorry. I'd put the Tornado from the 4.0 L. into my K&N on my Commander but I need an 85 mm. unit for the K&N on my 4.7 L because the tube on its kit is 3 7/16" diameter. I threw up the link just to see if anyone has heard of the product. I am going to order the larger one for my Commander. Since I can electronically monitor gas mileage onboard it, I guess I really could see if anything changes. I'm actively bidding on the 85 mm on ebay right now from a guy named jiddishelvis so wish me luck...if I don't win that one I'll just go ahead and bite the bullet and buy one through my friends speedshop for the retail price of $65. Since I don't do a lot of highway driving it will take me a while to get it, install it and track enough miles to see if it is truly giving a mpg gain. Like the guy says in the video, nowadays even 1 mpg savings is good, if it really does that then it will pay for itself again in my Commander....if not, well its not much money to spend trying.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Points: 6,645, Level: 53 Points: 6,645, Level: 53 Points: 6,645, Level: 53
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

Good Luck hope you win the Bid.

06 Jeep Commander 4.7 QT II wih RC lift, Superchips 3872 and 245/75R17 Thunderer MT Tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

so hows the tornado working

2006 jeep commander many mods.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 10:04 AM
06h
Banned
Points: 893, Level: 15 Points: 893, Level: 15 Points: 893, Level: 15
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...ileage/1802932

Very interesting article that uses fact. You may wanna read before wasting money.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06h View Post
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...ileage/1802932

Very interesting article that uses fact. You may wanna read before wasting money.
All those are junk except the Tornado...and again, tested on a dyno. Can't stress enough how that is not a real world test, and isn't upstream of 65 mph of air going into the inlet...but nice try at debunking my actual data gains that I observe w/ my Flashpaq. If people don't own something, then go on the internet to try and disprove it because it sounds like magic or something then you really should find a better use of your time...now if you do own it, then you would already know what I know, it actually does work. Another example: Notice how I don't enter into conversations here about body lifts or rock crawling...well that is because I know nothing about the products, don't have any of the products installed, nor do anyone I know, so I stay outta making remarks about something working for an application or not because I'm a gentleman and try not to sound like I have an internet education when in the real world it would be zero....get my point? If you don't have any real world experience with a product, its my point of view that you shouldn't comment on it at all!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 10:34 AM
06h
Banned

My bad your right. Popular mechanics don't do this kind of thing for a living. They didn't use the Tornado in there test and state it was a 10% HP lose. Do you have the dyno results from before an after the install. Using a programer does not do a validate representation of the performance gains of another power adder. So in lay mans term the change in humity and air temp could skew you numbers alot and using one power modifier to measure the gain of another power add-on is like saying a K&N stick alone adds 15 HP!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06h View Post
My bad your right. Popular mechanics don't do this kind of thing for a living. They didn't use the Tornado in there test and state it was a 10% HP lose. Do you have the dyno results from before an after the install. Using a programer does not do a validate representation of the performance gains of another power adder. So in lay mans term the change in humity and air temp could skew you numbers alot and using one power modifier to measure the gain of another power add-on is like saying a K&N stick alone adds 15 HP!
So why does it matter to you then...ego flaw? Give me a break...get a life, don't just come to websites to spread hate....its not a nice trait. I never said that the gain can be replicated on a dyno. I really don't think it could be...but a dyno. isn't the real world, its not going down the road at 60 mph now is it? Clueless right? Please. Yet another person who should learn to stay outta conversations about things they don't know about....sadness.

Last edited by CommandSystemsGo!; 04-16-2011 at 10:42 AM.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 11:56 AM
06h
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommandSystemsGo! View Post
So why does it matter to you then...ego flaw? Give me a break...get a life, don't just come to websites to spread hate....its not a nice trait. I never said that the gain can be replicated on a dyno. I really don't think it could be...but a dyno. isn't the real world, its not going down the road at 60 mph now is it? Clueless right? Please. Yet another person who should learn to stay outta conversations about things they don't know about....sadness.
Slow your roll, your recommending a product and providing statements on the performance of the said product. Wouldn't a individual looking to purchase a product like a scientific unbiased test of the product to compare to the recommendations of some Joe Smo? For all anyone could know is Joe Smo has intergeity issues and can not provide facts for statements made. I just want to afford everyone a option to see a unbiased opinion. I know its a joke and a waste if money!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications > Intakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in