Airaid Jr. vs other intakes/CAI's? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Intakes Questions or advice about intakes? This is the place...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Points: 3,959, Level: 40 Points: 3,959, Level: 40 Points: 3,959, Level: 40
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Airaid Jr. vs other intakes/CAI's?

I have an '06 WK Overland with the 5.7L HEMI and am looking at different intakes. I came across the Airaid Jr. 'intake' which replaces everything in between the stock air box to the throttle body. Most of the other intakes available use a similar tube but add a cone filter and rudimentary heat shield. Personally it seems like the stock airbox set-up will utilize more outside cool air and ward off heat soak better than the intake set-ups which replace the airbox. Opening up the box and drawing in hot underhood air seems like it would negate going to an intake at all. Some of the intakes (IFIK, AFE and Volant) replace the stock air box with their own units and draw in air the same way the stock unit does...Any reason to go with any of these other intakes (Airaid, AFE, Volant, K&N) vs the Airaid Jr. and a dry element filter???

I'm familiar with the BWoody intakes but steer away from it as it's not a street Jeep, same reason why I lean towards the Airaid Jr as it retains the stock water fording abilities of the WK. I'm also wondering if most of the intakes that replace the stock box diminish protection of the motor from water/mud/dirt/etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Airaid is in the process of developing a new CAI for the 5.7.

I will try to provide more info when I return from vacation around the 10th of July.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Points: 3,959, Level: 40 Points: 3,959, Level: 40 Points: 3,959, Level: 40
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by a49erFan View Post

I will try to provide more info when I return from vacation around the 10th of July.
Hmmmmm, really...Can you say if it's more of an offroad intake or geared more towards the 'street jeep' crowd?

Any idea of a time frame? I'm definitely ready to pull the trigger and get an intake

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakillerta View Post
Hmmmmm, really...Can you say if it's more of an offroad intake or geared more towards the 'street jeep' crowd?

Any idea of a time frame? I'm definitely ready to pull the trigger and get an intake
Not sure that there would be any difference in the off road buys and the street crown buyers.

I have no idea on time line but they are sponsors so they might post that when they see people are interested.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Points: 108, Level: 2 Points: 108, Level: 2 Points: 108, Level: 2
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

Quote:

Have you come across any new info on this yet?

08 Jeep Commander Limited
5.7L V8 HEMI
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Points: 2,162, Level: 28 Points: 2,162, Level: 28 Points: 2,162, Level: 28
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

Gentleman,

We are NOT working on a "New" system. We currently have 2 great systems available for the 5.7L Commander.

1. AIRAID Jr. (Replaces Intake Tube & OEM Paper Filter)

2. AIRAID Intake System.

Thanks,
David
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Gentleman,

We are NOT working on a "New" system. We currently have 2 great systems available for the 5.7L Commander.
Sorry, that was my misunderstanding. Thanks for setting the record straight.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Points: 2,162, Level: 28 Points: 2,162, Level: 28 Points: 2,162, Level: 28
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

Quote:
Sorry, that was my misunderstanding. Thanks for setting the record straight.
Hello a49erFan,

No problem at all, and I will see you first thing in the morning with your Jeep.

Thanks,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications > Intakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in