K&N Cold Air Intake - Commander 3.7L - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Intakes Questions or advice about intakes? This is the place...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,662, Level: 23 Points: 1,662, Level: 23 Points: 1,662, Level: 23
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

K&N Cold Air Intake - Commander 3.7L

A while back I contacted K&N to see if they had a CAI for the 2006 Commander 3.7L, At that time they said no, I had a friend who put one on his 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.7L. I went over to his house and checked it out, guess what, it looked like the engine compartment for my 06 commander. I contacted K&N about this and they said it wouldn't work duhhh. They put me on the mailing list and a few days later they sent a e-mail telling me that they came out with a NEW kit for the 06 Commander!
Part#: 63-1545 (same as the 06 Grand Cherokee!!!).

I called around to check out pricing for the kit, $268.00! I remebered I had a freind who works for Autozone, I called him and I asked if he could give me some kind of a discount, he said no problem all autozone employees get a 20% discount, I got the kit for $228.00!

Today I installed the kit, I took my time (smoke breaks, etc..) It went on like a champ!! The instructions that came with kit where well laid out and all the parts are numbered, Just match up the part numbers with the install pictures. I took it for a spin and it does have a bigger pick up.

Now what I don't understand is how is disconnecting the postive side of the battery and holding the start key on start for 60 seconds and leaving if off (postive cable) for about 30 minutes is going to reset the computer? I'm having a hard time understanding this. Could someone enlighten me on this.

Sorry for the long letter, Hope it helps someone out......

2006 Jeep Commander
3.7L Engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%

It is nice to see another V6 owner.

I bought the kit too for my 3.7L, but have not installed it yet. Did you see any decent improvements in your mpg's? I mainly bought it for power, but gas price is so pricey.

However, I do not understand how you reset the computer. Sorry
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Points: 8,261, Level: 61 Points: 8,261, Level: 61 Points: 8,261, Level: 61
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

Basically what you are doing is clearing the shifting points of the transmission. (It learns your driving style and sets the shift points accordingly) And if I remember right the computer resets the ignition timing to the now modified air fuel mixture. At least that is how I understand it. There are several posts on this in here.

There is a mild improvement but I wouldn't hang my fuel budget on it. I gained better mileage from putting a magnaflow muffler in than the CAI

2006 4.7, Leather, Sunroof, Front Tow Hooks, K&N Filter, Rear Grab Handles, Hyper Yellow Fog Lights, 2" RevTek Lift, Cooper Discovery ST 245/75R17 Tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

To bob123: As far as gas mileage I doubt that I will get much (maybe 1 more mpg) I have a heavy foot!! As it stands now I get about 14 mpg in town, mostly going back and fourth to work and on the interstate I get about 17mpg. When the boss drives it she gets about 17 in town and on the interstate about 20 mpg. Like everybody else I got it for more power. I hear getting rid of the 50 gal drum muffler (oem) and Installing the Magaflow is the way to go, Thats my next project.

Thanks for clearing up why its best to reset the computer, Its seems to make sense the way AKFossil has explained it. I see AKFossil has installed the window Vents, I got the Weather Tech's and I love them!!! I like the way they go into the window channels instead of using tape to hold them on.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Just a update, as you have already read I did indeed install the K&N CAI Kit for my 2006 JC 3.7L I took notes on this project, before the install I was getting about 13.4 mpg in town (according to the on board computer display). I installed the kit and disconnected the postive side of the battery and turned the ignition key to start and held it their for about 60 secs and release it and left it that way (battery disconnected) for about an hour.

I went from 13.4 mpg in town to 14.6 in town. Now I got to thinking I should be getting better gas mileage than this. So I went back to the CAI filter (cold air intake) and traced the route of the airflow. From the filter up to the black box mounted on the throttle body (sorry dont know what its really called) all was well, the airflow path was nice and smooth, I then decided to inspect the black box!

I took off the black Box and looked inside of it, I got my flashlight (It was cold and dark and scary in thier) and I noticed slots (on both sides of the airflow path) inside of the box along the airway path! I took a small metal rod and pushed it though the slots to see if it went all the way though, and of course the rod went all the way though slots. Bingo I found a airway problem!!! Seems air was being suck in and going though those damn slots maybe causing airflow problems!!

I keep looking at the inside of that damn box for about 30mins deciding what would be the best way to block the damn slots, then it hit me, A/C Heating sealing tape!!! I remebered see a Mike Homles on homes program and they were using the tape on the homes a/c heating duct work,its silver on one side and super sticky on the other side and its SUPER thin!!! I got the same tape from a friend of mine who is a a/c heating tech and I used that on some of my duct work. Its super sticky and its made for the cold/hot air in the duct work.

I got the box and removed the airflow sensor (more room for my hand) and cut two strips of tape and made sure they over lapped at each end of the box openings. So far so good, I removed the paper off the sticky side and began to apply the tape over the open slots, Working like champ!!! I then pushed the over lapped ends of the tape down the other side of the box openings (this way if the tape came loose it wouldn't be sucked down the damn thottle body opening).

It finally warmed up here and I got on the interstate to warm up the engine and them came home and put the JC into my garage and let it set for about 30mins or so. I opened up the hood and felt the box black, BOY was it nice and hot!!! I let the JC set for a whie longer. Now the moment of truth was the tape still sticking or did it come loose? I took off the box and looked inside, It was still their covering the slots!!!! I jumped up and down with delight (until the boss heard the nosie I was making and asked what I was doing, of course I told her I hurt my hand and she then left!!). After about two weeks now the tape is holdin up like a champ!!!! My mileage went from 13.4 to 16mpg!!! and that in town driving and my heavy foot!! Remember if you do this don't use the home GRAY DUCT TAPE!!!!

The black box takes about 3mins of yer time to take off and to check the tape, To date its working like a champ!!! Hope this mod helps out someone. If you find a better way to cover the slots please let me know!!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Re 2006 JC CAI

Just a update, as you have already read I did indeed install the K&N CAI Kit for my 2006 XK 3.7L I took notes on this project, before the install I was getting about 13.4 mpg in town (according to the on board computer display). I installed the kit and disconnected the postive side of the battery and turned the ignition key to start and held it their for about 60 secs and release it and left it that way (battery disconnected) for about an hour.

I went from 13.4 mpg in town to 14.6 in town. Now I got to thinking I should be getting better gas mileage than this. So I went back to the CAI filter (cold air intake) and traced the route of the airflow. From the filter up to the black box mounted on the throttle body (sorry dont know what its really called) all was well, the airflow path was nice and smooth, I then decided to inspect the black box!

I took off the black Box and looked inside of it, I got my flashlight (It was cold and dark and scary in thier) and I noticed slots (on both sides of the airflow path) inside of the box along the airway path! I took a small metal rod and pushed it though the slots to see if it went all the way though, and of course the rod went all the way though slots. Bingo I found a airway problem!!! Seems air was being suck in and going though those damn slots maybe causing airflow problems!!

I keep looking at the inside of that damn box for about 30mins deciding what would be the best way to block the damn slots, then it hit me, A/C Heating sealing tape!!! I remebered see a Mike Homles on homes program and they were using the tape on the homes a/c heating duct work,its silver on one side and super sticky on the other side and its SUPER thin!!! I got the same tape from a friend of mine who is a a/c heating tech and I used that on some of my duct work. Its super sticky and its made for the cold/hot air in the duct work.

I got the box and removed the airflow sensor (more room for my hand) and cut two strips of tape and made sure they over lapped at each end of the box openings. So far so good, I removed the paper off the sticky side and began to apply the tape over the open slots, Working like champ!!! I then pushed the over lapped ends of the tape down the other side of the box openings (this way if the tape came loose it wouldn't be sucked down the damn thottle body opening).

It finally warmed up here and I got on the interstate to warm up the engine and them came home and put the JC into my garage and let it set for about 30mins or so. I opened up the hood and felt the box black, BOY was it nice and hot!!! I let the JC set for a whie longer. Now the moment of truth was the tape still sticking or did it come loose? I took off the box and looked inside, It was still their covering the slots!!!! I jumped up and down with delight (until the boss heard the nosie I was making and asked what I was doing, of course I told her I hurt my hand and she then left!!). After about two weeks now the tape is holdin up like a champ!!!! My mileage went from 13.4 to 16mpg!!! and that in town driving and my heavy foot!! Remember if you do this don't use the GRAY DUCT TAPE!!!!

The black box takes about 3mins of yer time to take off and to check the tape, To date its working like a champ!!! Hope this mod helps out someone. If you find a better way to cover the slots please let me know!!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 12:35 AM
Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%

Wow, I never knew that the box caused some air flow problems. I know that the 4.7 engine kit tells you to take the box completely off. I guess their engine configuration is different than the 3.7.

http://www.kandn.com/instructions/63-1548.pdf

step 20b calls the box an intake plenum.

Can you hear the engine more and at what rpms if you do?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
The box (or intake plenum) is a noise resonator. It acts like a muffler for the intake system so that you don't hear the vacuum noise from the intake as you open or close the throttle plate. My AFE unit keeps this piece in place since its where the mass airflow sensor is located; you have to relocate it when using the K&N.

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Well I always wondered what that thing was called (intake plenum) thanks for the info.

For bob123 the only difference's I see in the two CAI systems is that on the 3.7L install you don't take off the intake plenum (thanks again rwmorrisonjr) and on the 4.7L they run the air intake tube right up to the throttle body!!! wish my install was like that!!! Thanks for yer pdf file I see what they did. Thanks for the input guys.......
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Sorry didn't answer bob123 last question (Can you hear the engine more and at what rpms if you do?). If I get on it you can hear the engine a little more (sound awsome though) and as for the rpm's I don't notice much difference, but I will keep a eye on that and if their is any big difference I will let ya know......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications > Intakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in