ebay intakes? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Intakes Questions or advice about intakes? This is the place...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Points: 720, Level: 14 Points: 720, Level: 14 Points: 720, Level: 14
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

ebay intakes?

Was looking for intakes for my 4.7 to give me some better mpg, i've seen the cheapo ebay ones which just include a short 6" pipe and a cone filter, but looking at the k&n kit which appears to start of the throttle body rather then that 2nd air box, which looks like a big restriction to me. Is one much better then the other in real world?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 01:45 AM
Points: 1,930, Level: 26 Points: 1,930, Level: 26 Points: 1,930, Level: 26
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%

I am no expert on the mechanics of an CAI. BUT, I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I would purchase a CAI from a reputable brand and save any heartache from these apparent rip off schemes. IMHO.

Good luck, I sure someone with the expertise will answer your question soon.

Cheers,
O'C

Born on date 15APR08 -- 08 XK Green Limited, 4x4, Hemi, QD II, 4" Superlift w/ AEV/Superlift '08 EGR, ProComp BlackChrome 9089 17 x 9 Wheels (4.75" BS), BFG MT 285/70/17, w/ SB Leather Seats, Magnaflow Exhaust, AEM CAI, Max Energy Econ, MyGig lock pick, etc...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Points: 1,273, Level: 19 Points: 1,273, Level: 19 Points: 1,273, Level: 19
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%

Irish is right. I bought a "cheap" CAI for my RAM, which was a 4.7L V8 and received it and installed it. It comes with a disclaimer that reads something to the effect of, "This product was not engineered for a specific vehicle, only dimensions, do not use on road or for extended period of time." So, neglecting those words, I installed it anyway and it proved to be MORE restrictive than the airbox and it was SUCH a piece that it actually broke at one of the joints (rubber sleeves) and was allowing unfiltered air into the engine for God knows how long. Another thing is that it doesn't come with a port for you MAF sensor.

2006 Commander Limited, 5.7L V8, QD II, Dark Khaki, Mopar Performance CAI/Exhaust
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 04:47 AM
Points: 1,545, Level: 22 Points: 1,545, Level: 22 Points: 1,545, Level: 22
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%

I use to be into the import scene big time and if you think about it all an cai is, is a tube and a filter thats it. So its really hard to go wrong when it comes to buying the "right" one. I think the prices for the more popular ones are a str8 rip off. I've purchase both expensive and cheap ones for different drag cars I've ran and the ebay ones lasted and performed as good if not better then the more expensive ones. It really all comes down to the filter, So I say why waste your money on over priced tube and filters when you could be spending it on other goodies for your rig. Just my 2 cents

Last edited by datwistedscorpio; 04-25-2008 at 04:58 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 06:47 AM
Points: 946, Level: 16 Points: 946, Level: 16 Points: 946, Level: 16
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by datwistedscorpio
I use to be into the import scene big time and if you think about it all an cai is, is a tube and a filter thats it. So its really hard to go wrong when it comes to buying the "right" one. I think the prices for the more popular ones are a str8 rip off. I've purchase both expensive and cheap ones for different drag cars I've ran and the ebay ones lasted and performed as good if not better then the more expensive ones. It really all comes down to the filter, So I say why waste your money on over priced tube and filters when you could be spending it on other goodies for your rig. Just my 2 cents
I've got to agree. I purchased an eBay special for $46. for my '08 Hemi. Installation was straightforward and the only extra work involved splicing in about eight inches of wire so that the intake air temperature sensor would reach the hole in the new housing. The Commander runs great with a noticeable increase in power and fuel efficiency. I don't know if a $300+ CAI would be better but the reality is that it's a Jeep not a Jaguar.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Points: 533, Level: 10 Points: 533, Level: 10 Points: 533, Level: 10
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%

I think the easiest way to get a few more MPGs is to just install a K&N filter in the stock box. I just got back from a 1000Km trip that i do quite often and usually get around 19mpg on the highway...this time, with the new filter I averaged almost 23mpg!! It made a huge difference, about a quater tank, which is almost $25 here in Ontario. I'm sure a good CAI would improve this even further, but for quick bang for your buck i'd definately go with the K&N filter!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Points: 1,273, Level: 19 Points: 1,273, Level: 19 Points: 1,273, Level: 19
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%

Just like spelling is very important, it's important to look at these ebay intakes by what their purpose is. It may say, "Cold Air Intake", but their is nothing cold air about it as it has no divider to separate the air coming from the block from the air coming from a cooler location. Yes, you could probably make a divider that would work great, but from my experience with ebay intakes, I am sticking with ones that were actually engineered for their intended purpose.

2006 Commander Limited, 5.7L V8, QD II, Dark Khaki, Mopar Performance CAI/Exhaust
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Points: 1,545, Level: 22 Points: 1,545, Level: 22 Points: 1,545, Level: 22
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%

well some ebay "cold air" intakes have the divider, or like you said you could make your own. But for the extra $200.00 or so I don't think its gonna shave any more time off my 1/4 time LOL!!! I don't know about the rest of you guy's but I play with my jeep offroad and not at the drag strip, we are not bracket racing here so a few degrees hotter or colder going into the throttle body isn't going to get me out of a mud hole any faster. The true "Cold air intakes" that I've owned take the filter under and out of the engine compartment like where the filter ends up just behind and towards the bottom of your front bumper. But with those you need a bypass valve so when you run over a puddle water does not suck up in your motor and give you hydro lock. So being as we are talking about intakes for are "jeeps" a nice short ram air style intake with maybe a divider is the best route.

Last edited by datwistedscorpio; 05-06-2008 at 07:49 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Points: 4,431, Level: 42 Points: 4,431, Level: 42 Points: 4,431, Level: 42
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%

I have a K&N Chrome 77 Series intake and I love it, except for the squeeling that comes from it when you pound on it. I called K&N and they said it is impossible for the sound to come from the filter, however they sent me a new filter and I still have the same problem, just a little less. So may want to consider the mopar CAI and the K&N. I am the only person on the planet with the screeching filter problem apparently so you should be OK!

06 Limited, Khaki, HEMI, Chrome Pkg, Engine Heater, Rear Handles, Saddle Brown Leather, Backup Sensor (No Cam), NAV/VES, QDII, Yakima Megawarrior w/ Extension, Yakima Spare Tire Carrier, Jet TBS, K&N 77 Series Chrome CAI
Coming Soon: ?Flomaster Dual Exhaust?, RR 2.25 Lift, RR Rock Rail-Super Sliders
Click on the pics to get your Xk Gear!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Points: 209, Level: 4 Points: 209, Level: 4 Points: 209, Level: 4
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

I have had a K&N on just about all of my cars/trucks. All of them had a noticable sucking wirrrrrrrr to them but not a scream. Even on the ATVs I had I didn't notice a scream.

Ranger: drop in
Silverado: 77 Series
Banshee: open filter
Raptor 660: drop in.

Wirrrrr but no scream.

06, 4.7 2WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications > Intakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in