CAI - K&N, AEM, Mopar? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Intakes Questions or advice about intakes? This is the place...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Points: 7,447, Level: 57 Points: 7,447, Level: 57 Points: 7,447, Level: 57
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Overland
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 123000
CAI - K&N, AEM, Mopar?

What swayed your decision on which CAI to purchase? I think the Mopar has a polished tube that I heard can heat up and minimize the effectiveness, same with the K&N 77 series. I have been considering the K&N 63 series but K&N does not list a part number for my 2008 5.7L. Does anyone know if the 63-1549 will fit an '08?

Thanks,

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Points: 3,672, Level: 38 Points: 3,672, Level: 38 Points: 3,672, Level: 38
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%

That is what I have, the 63 series, for my 4.7, I was looking at the AFE, but when I went to the store to get it, the guy there pulled 2 books out from them and the numbers were different, the same goes for the website, also theirs has too many turns the would block air flow, ( in my case since I have the 4.7).

So I felt better about K&N, and like you said, the 63 series has the black intake that blocks heat better than the metal one, something else I did was I added some insulation to the heat shield to help it block even more heat, I’m planning on doing the same to the intake very soon too.

Plus K&N has been around forever…
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Points: 9,601, Level: 65 Points: 9,601, Level: 65 Points: 9,601, Level: 65
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMEO
That is what I have, the 63 series, for my 4.7, I was looking at the AFE, but when I went to the store to get it, the guy there pulled 2 books out from them and the numbers were different, the same goes for the website, also theirs has too many turns the would block air flow, ( in my case since I have the 4.7).

So I felt better about K&N, and like you said, the 63 series has the black intake that blocks heat better than the metal one, something else I did was I added some insulation to the heat shield to help it block even more heat, Iím planning on doing the same to the intake very soon too.

Plus K&N has been around foreverÖ
What do you mean that afe has to many turns?

Ford F150

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
I liked the polished look of the AEM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Points: 597, Level: 11 Points: 597, Level: 11 Points: 597, Level: 11
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich08
What swayed your decision on which CAI to purchase? I think the Mopar has a polished tube that I heard can heat up and minimize the effectiveness, same with the K&N 77 series. I have been considering the K&N 63 series but K&N does not list a part number for my 2008 5.7L. Does anyone know if the 63-1549 will fit an '08?

Thanks,

Rich
I too want to know what is out there for the 08 5.7. I can't seem to find any manufacturers that have the 2008 models listed. Will an 07 fit?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Points: 6,947, Level: 54 Points: 6,947, Level: 54 Points: 6,947, Level: 54
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvic
I too want to know what is out there for the 08 5.7. I can't seem to find any manufacturers that have the 2008 models listed. Will an 07 fit?
I was told no at the dealership. They said that there is nothing Mopar makes that will fit the 08 Hemi right now, and that I'd have to look at an after-market intake.

Hope this helps.

08 Black Limited - 5.7 Hemi - QD-II/Hooks/Plates - Nav/MyGig/DVD - TTG IV - Remote Start - Auto Liftgate w/Camera - etc...
Build date: 12/07

Mods: Chrome grabber handles installed.
Tires: Hankook Dynapro ATM 245/70R17
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Points: 3,672, Level: 38 Points: 3,672, Level: 38 Points: 3,672, Level: 38
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberCommander
What do you mean that afe has to many turns?

The kid they make for the 4.7 does not removes the box at the top end of the intake, their intake still has 2 45 degrees turns, plus the one inside the box, that is 3, Iím sure that the intake on the K&N has better flow since it only has 1 45 degrees turn, and it is a lot softer than all the ones on the AFE. On top of that, all of the number that they advertise are different in many cases Y actually saw 2 books for parts by them, and the numbers that they claim are not the same, and it was different on the website as well.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
I agree with Romeo. The AFE, while a nice quick install, didn't work as well as my K&N , so I went and installed another K&N, and my mileage & power went back up. The AFE's better than stock, but not by much, and its tube is more restrictive than the stock intake flex tube.

Yes, I do expect some ribbing since I sold my old K&N only to buy another one, but someone had to do some real world testing. MY AFE's on ebay, not going to sell it here after I've razzed on it.

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 06:07 AM
Points: 9,000, Level: 63 Points: 9,000, Level: 63 Points: 9,000, Level: 63
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan
I was told no at the dealership. They said that there is nothing Mopar makes that will fit the 08 Hemi right now, and that I'd have to look at an after-market intake.

Hope this helps.
I would say that anything for the 2006-2007 Hemi will fit the 2008 Hemi. Actually, many of the parts listed just don't have the Commander listed. When I had ordered the Mopar CAI (and I can get you the part number if you need it) - I had to listen to whole pile of "this isn't listed for the Commander" and "Items are not returnable if it doesn't fit this application" - Most of them are listed for the 2006 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7. As far as I know, there have been no changes made to the engines.

Also, the Mopar Tube is not actually polished - it has some gray coating/paint on it. I also like the look of the AEM Brute Polished Tube, so far, performance wise, the Mopar Tube SEEMS to be a tick quicker than stock (mainly with a quicker throttle pick-up). I have yet to see any real mileage changes, but I need to go another 3 weeks or so to compare.

2006 Jeep XK Limited * Saddle Brown Interior * 5.7 Hemi * Mopar CAI 245/70 R17 Nokian Vitiiva A/T 30.5" * EBC Green Stuff SUV Brake Pads
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Points: 6,947, Level: 54 Points: 6,947, Level: 54 Points: 6,947, Level: 54
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudemonkey
I would say that anything for the 2006-2007 Hemi will fit the 2008 Hemi. Actually, many of the parts listed just don't have the Commander listed. When I had ordered the Mopar CAI (and I can get you the part number if you need it) - I had to listen to whole pile of "this isn't listed for the Commander" and "Items are not returnable if it doesn't fit this application" - Most of them are listed for the 2006 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7. As far as I know, there have been no changes made to the engines.
Well, I suppose at the dealership they're probably just reading off a computer screen. Recently I was looking for a new badge for my liftgate and they told me it wasn't available for the 08 model. I had to tell them to just order me an 06 badge.

Thanks (in advance) for getting that Mopar part number for me. You can just PM it to me if you like.

08 Black Limited - 5.7 Hemi - QD-II/Hooks/Plates - Nav/MyGig/DVD - TTG IV - Remote Start - Auto Liftgate w/Camera - etc...
Build date: 12/07

Mods: Chrome grabber handles installed.
Tires: Hankook Dynapro ATM 245/70R17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications > Intakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in