Jeep Commander Forum banner

Superchips releases Advanced Trans options for 06-08 HEMI Commanders

24K views 84 replies 17 participants last post by  udoxx 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I hate the blocks put on this computer at work, I have to wait until I get home to see your post.

#4 ·
Great, now finish up a tune for the 2010 HEMI and send them both to me!!!!!!! Any updates on this yet????

#9 · (Edited)
Scott, So everything listed in the first post also applies to the 4.7L too? That would be AWESOME!

#11 ·
Is there any way around the $35 charge for adding the app? I tried to install the app and gave my payment info but it told me that I had to call because of some problem and it could process the request...I guess I will have to call in the AM

#13 · (Edited)
success! There was some problem on my credit card end but thanks to Al at superchips I have installed the programming and checked it out..... Now I need to learn how to adjust all the different functions...

EDIT: Scott, I have done some research and found various shift schedules and advice on the net. Is there any way you can give a description of what is needed to do so I can make shifts more firm, or change shift points....Just a brief tutorial? I am just wondering what percentages, RPMS, or speed settings could cause certain results.

#14 · (Edited)
This feature is very extensive and has quite a learning curve. Thankfully our HEMI Ram beta testers were kind enough to provide helpful info on this feature as well as a guide for new users to get started with a few of their shift schefdules they were able to perfect over the 8 month beta program.

here are some helpful tips and links to those scheduled to help those interested get started:

A synopsis of important information. Also, the transmission options FAQ is available here: http://www.mcfail.net/superchips/

Just an FYI to all and a very important step during the transmission options upgrade process.

In order to upgrade to the transmission options, when it's released, you must be VIN locked (your truck has to be tuned) during the update.

If you are not VIN locked (your truck is tuned) during the update, the upgrade will not go through.
This is a necessary step to electronically sign the legal waiver and authorize the upgrade.

There's shift logic built into the program. It won't allow you to stack shifts. Excellent safety feature.

The most important part of setting your shift schedule is, just be mindful not to cross your up and down shifts. That's where you can force an up and down shift loop. The excel graph gives you a good visual of how this could happen and is the number one reason you should use the graphs.

You can set the up and down shifts closer. The closer, the quicker the up and down shift will transition, but stay away from overlap.

I've attached two example graphs to give you an idea. The first one is fine, the second is not.

Right

WRONG

Jeremy (one of the beta testers) was nice enough to host user shift schedules on his website.

These schedules are user schedules and aren't endorsed by Superchips. Totally done by the beta testers. We have a few schedules up now and we'll add more as we go along. This will be an easy way to access user shift schedules.

Please bookmark the URL.

Here's the website: http://www.mcfail.net/superchips/

#15 · (Edited)
Keep this in mind when sharing user shift schedules:

It's preferable you share shift schedules within the same model year. The reason being, throttle position percentages vary from year to year. Keep in mind they can still vary in the same year of truck in some circumstances.

Example: A 2007 Ram 2500 will not have the same throttle positions as a 2007 Ram 1500.

They may be similar in this case, but there will be variances.

Another tip:

When inputting a shift schedule, you may not have the max value in a particular TP% available. Don't worry. As you enter your values for the next shift points (2,3, etc.), you can go back to those previous shifts and your max value will have increased. Now you can input the value that previously could not be entered.

This is the shift logic safety feature kicking in and protecting you from stacking shifts.

In regards to torque management:

Setting torque management to 0% will not yield the best results. Leaving some TM in the mix produces a quicker shift.

The beta testers confirmed this during testing.

From the FAQ:

Q: Should I set torque management to 0% or leave in some percentage?

A: You should leave some TM in all of the shifts because the shifts will complete quicker with some load reduction. 0% doesn't necessarily mean a quicker shift; it means the engine is not reducing power during the shift. Think about it in the sense of friction, if you are applying torque to the transmission, the higher the friction. If you reduce it a little the lower the friction and this is a non-linear reduction. Too much torque and the truck will lag its shifts.

Just a reminder

The shift schedules the beta testers provide on the web server are their own personal schedules. Superchips had no input in these schedules whatsoever and they will not be providing any USER shift schedules. This is totally a USER custom tuning product for your transmission.

The reason for this reminder is, everyone has different thoughts on how our trucks should shift. Invariably there will be folks who load up a personal shift schedule and not like part of the schedule. This is when the USER comes into play and makes the necessary adjustments in the schedule to their liking.

Again, this is a USER custom tuning product. Please keep that in mind when working with the tuning.

#16 ·
Thanks scott. I will have to do some serious study work on the schedules and numbers. As of now it is a bit much to take in so I am not going to mess too much until I read more.

#18 ·
I've purchased and updated - Internet Update says it's loaded. I've run through all I can find plugged in, but can't seem to access the these options. Does the engine need to be running to access - or have I missed something?

#19 ·
When you were on the internet update site downloading the feature was the programmer vinlocked to your vehicle? Did you use the scroll down menu at the top of the page to select "Vehicle One" where the Trans tuning download resides?

Did you agree to the online waver?

If all of those were a yes make sure you are selecting advanced tuning and not quick tune when programming the vehicle. Select a power level then go into options and look for the option listed as "Shift Schedules" and "TQ management" to adjust the features manually.

If those features do not show up please give customer service a call at 88-227-2447 for immediate assistance.

Please keep me in the loop as well so I can assist in any way that I can.

Scott

I've purchased and updated - Internet Update says it's loaded. I've run through all I can find plugged in, but can't seem to access the these options. Does the engine need to be running to access - or have I missed something?

#20 ·
Scott - thanks for your rapid response! This was totally my fault - didn't look in the right place. Found everything in "Options" following the "Advanced Tune." The update was painless and successful on the first attempt.

Side note: I may have missed a posting here or @ SC, but is there a process flow/mapping diagram available?

Again, AWESOME product - really surprised @ what you guys have helped me discover in my 4.7 :)

#21 ·
Your Jeep shift schedules should come close to our HEMI Ram beta testers who have several listed by year range that should put you in the ball park at this link: http://www.mcfail.net/superchips/

There is no easy way for us to guide you other than the schedules tested by the betas as reference because each person likes their shifting differently and that is why we made the feature so open so that you could customize your options right down to the smallest value.

This option is definitely for the advanced user.

Scott

Scott - thanks for your rapid response! This was totally my fault - didn't look in the right place. Found everything in "Options" following the "Advanced Tune." The update was painless and successful on the first attempt.

Side note: I may have missed a posting here or @ SC, but is there a process flow/mapping diagram available?

Again, AWESOME product - really surprised @ what you guys have helped me discover in my 4.7 :)

#22 ·
Hey Scott, do I need to reset my vehicle back to stock before I update my flashpaq?

#23 ·
Nope - I updated w/the tune installed. Just go through the Advanced menu, select your tune (I selected the one I already had loaded, just in case...) then the Options - it's all in there. Then commit to the usual next few minutes of finger crossing and daring yourself to open and close the door during the flash just to see what would happen.

#25 ·
Ok so I am thinking that I can start to understand what is going on with the trans programming but to be clear I need some definitions on some of the stuff I see in the Schedules.... What is the meaning of the TP% and TM% Colums?

#27 ·
Ok, so I think I may have this figured out but someone please correct me if I am wrong...

TM% is Torque Management Percentage. Torque management is a system that allows slip in the trans to make shifts smoother and also controls engine performance to reduce the engine rev while shifting. It is represented in the flashpaq as a value of 0% to 100%. 100% torque management means that it is allowing the maximum slip/ engine control. 0% (NOT RECOMMENDED) torque management means that there is no slip/ rev limiting. By reducing the TM% you are reducing the power loss that occurs during a shift but also putting more stress on the trans.

#31 ·
For my 06 the number was much higher, around 60% from the point I opened the application. From that point I adjusted down but I think I can go much lower than I set it and try for what was suggested in the testers schedules. 20% seemed pretty low considering where my numbers started but I think it would be a safe bet to try that and see what results I can get. I am really happy with the new shift schedule. I have some minor adjustments to make but it is much nicer to cruise up and down the hills around here and not have to fight with the jeep always wanting to be in 4th gear

#33 ·
Mine started at 60% as well. I've been running the the 20/8% from the spreadsheet for a week and it's worked out fine. I ran shift schedule from that spreadsheet as well for a day but noticed 2down dumping pretty hard coming to a stop so I restored to the SuperChips schedule until I can take time work that a bit.

#34 · (Edited)
The nice thing about this feature in programming is that your tuning is recorded in the programmer so even if you go back to a stock tuning level you have the ability to go back when you want to try tuning from where you left of previously by selecting those values.

If you want to start over there is a reset all function as well.

Have a good extended weekend everyone and if possible take some time out of your day on Monday to think of the fallen that have sacrificed so much for this country to keep it free!

Scott

#35 · (Edited)
I've been working on modifying the above provided shift schedule for the 4.7 (from mcfail.net) over the last few days. It seems like that one may have been generated in a Dodge (or the like) as some of the TP%'s are quite a bit different in some spots. It also extends 2UP and 3UP for what appears to be forever. This one provides for quite an entertaining experience above the 30% throttle position ranges, and a tad bit more "commute friendly" shifting in the 0-20TP% range. Also note my torque management changes.
Remember - everyone's driving preferences are different. I love this schedule. You may not. But it's always nice to have a few different points from which to begin your own testing.

http://digisolve.us/SuperChips/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.