Does Superchips Flashpaq 3875 support EGR disabling? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Programmers/Engine Mods Questions or advice about programmers or engine mods? This is the place...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 150000
Does Superchips Flashpaq 3875 support EGR disabling?

Any one know for sure if it is possible to disable the EGR using Superchips Flashpaq ?

[email protected] can you help in this?

Second Jeep Commander, Current
2007 XH (International model), Green Metallic, Ltd, 5.7L HEMI, Quadra-Drive II
Spidertax 1.5" wheel spacer, K&N replacement filter
OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,
2007 XH (International model), Light Graystone Pearl, Sport , 4.7L Quadra-Trac II.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

I have to ask Ahmed......what are you being told disabling this would accomplish?

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
I have to ask Ahmed......what are you being told disabling this would accomplish?

Rob
Cleaner Intake Manifold and throttle body, smoother idle and cooler air in combustion chamber. some say better performance and better MPG which I'm not convinced with.

I just think having exhaust gas going back to the combustion chamber has no good benefit to the engine, I might be wrong! ,,, the 6.1 SRT has no EGR as well as 2500 and 3500 Rams ,, so I guess its better not to have it if its not required for emission inspection !!

I would really appreciate your opinion! as I looked into the throttle body the other day and it was too dirty and filled with a thick sludge and carbon layer.

OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,
2007 XH (International model), Light Graystone Pearl, Sport , 4.7L Quadra-Trac II.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:27 PM

Well, I'll do my best.
First, the carbon in the intake.....this is from the crankcase vapors that rise through the PCV system after shutoff.
The gases condense on the cooler parts of the intake system and because of the high carbon content of those gases, it dries black and a bit soft.

Over time and mileage this carbon mix will build up on the IAC (Idle Air Control) and cause a rough idle because the IAC valve can't close fully, causing a internal vacuum leak.
As long as the carbon does not impede the throttle plate from closing fully and opening smoothly and the iac is operating properly, don't worry about the coating.....it hurts nothing.
The 6.1 and 5.7 2500/3500 trucks without EGR.
The trucks don't have it because they do not have to meet the same stringent nitrogen oxide standards of a light duty vehicle and they use different camshafts to make more torque at a lower rpm.
The 6.1 doesn't have it because it was capable of passing the nitrogen oxide standard without it.
The three combinations listed above also run a slightly richer fuel mixture to combat detonation and the 6.1 requires premium fuel or it'll sound like a basket of marbles from detonation (trust me....I learned the hard way)

So, in summation, the EGR has nothing to do with a carbon buildup on the throttle body or intake manifold.....it is strickly condensed blow by gas which is made up of unburned hydrocarbons and moisture.
Annnnd, my SRT8 6.1 has as much buildup as anything else I've seen and like you stated, it has no EGR.

The function of the EGR is twofold.....it is a emission control and it reduces the tendency for detonation (pre ignition, dieseling, spark knock, knock knock, everyone has a different term)

By admitting a metered amount of inert gas (exaust) the combustion event is cooled somewhat.
This lower burn temperature lowers nitrogen oxide emissions quite a bit.

And, by admitting a inert gas, those molecules (sp?) combined with the fuel and air molecules, acts as a bridge for smooth flame propogation from the plug tip out to the entire combustion chamber.
Without the inert molecules, the fuel will not burn evenly and the flame fronts crash into each other, causing destructive detonation.
So, the EGR also allows the operation of the engine using a very lean, tightly controlled fuel mixture.

The EGR is only operational at steady throttle while cruising.
It is not functional at idle nor during acceleration, so obviously, it cannot degrade idle quality or decrease wide open performance.

I can detail further but were rapidly reaching the point where I need a classroom and a chalkboard.

Hope that helped,
Rob

|
|

Last edited by robby; 07-20-2010 at 06:24 AM. Reason: misspell
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Thanks Rob for such a great answer, you cleared many things. no chalkboard please I'm done with that long time ago ..

Also I plan to have the PCV vapor catch can between the PCV and the manifold to collect the oil as well, so might result in cleaner Manifold together with the EGR disabled.

This is how the catch can and EGR eliminated look like ..

Regarding the dirty manifold, doesn't a thick layer of carbon and sludge reduce air flow ? especially in the narrow areas near to the valves?

OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,

Last edited by Ahmed; 07-20-2010 at 09:34 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 11:12 AM

If it ever became real thick it would do just that(restrict) but, once coated the cool walls are no longer exposed and the condensation virtually stops.
Any of the buildup in the intake ports is washed off by the fuel being sprayed at the back of the valve.

If the engine was operated at the very high end of the rpm capability, over time the manifold could cost some power but for the most part these things rarely see 5k rpm and then, only for a few seconds.

Many of the SRT gang are using those catch cans and they do indeed separate some of the oil out of the blow-by but not enouph to prevent the buildup.....slows the rate down a bit but thats all.

Rob

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications > Programmers/Engine Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in