4.7 Converstion??? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Programmers/Engine Mods Questions or advice about programmers or engine mods? This is the place...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Points: 5,147, Level: 45 Points: 5,147, Level: 45 Points: 5,147, Level: 45
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

4.7 Converstion???

Ok fellow Jeepers, here's the question thats been weighing on my mind heavely for the last few days! Converting my 4.7L into a ground pounding, tree pulling, get any ford-chevy-hummer outta any whole, Deisel! I know they make Commanders with deisels over seas and I know its been done in the states! Question is where to start? Who's done it? How much did it set you back? Which Deiesel engine? And the million dollar question...is it better left as a dream?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Anything is possible! You'll need to seak out a good performance shop or any off road shop that's done them to wranglers already. Then they'll know all the ins and outs with regulations and stuff like that as well. It will be expensive for sure a new diesel motor is probably around $6K I would think maybe more. Also if you bump up the torque to mush you'll have driveline issues to deal with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

Leave it be as a dream.

I think you can do other things to make it a more robust off-roader and Hummer-recovery machine.

Lift, tires, winch, rock rails, under armor to name a few.

2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s , Rola Roof Rack, diy built spare tire mount for the roof rack.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

I am the hummer recovery team
lol

2006 jeep commander many mods.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Points: 4,897, Level: 44 Points: 4,897, Level: 44 Points: 4,897, Level: 44
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by STURDY View Post
Ok fellow Jeepers, here's the question thats been weighing on my mind heavely for the last few days! Converting my 4.7L into a ground pounding, tree pulling, get any ford-chevy-hummer outta any whole, Deisel! I know they make Commanders with deisels over seas and I know its been done in the states! Question is where to start? Who's done it? How much did it set you back? Which Deiesel engine? And the million dollar question...is it better left as a dream?!?

Don't let these guys wreck your dreams. If you want to do it and have the money, anything is possible! I personally would Swap in a Cummins 4BT, 400+ lb ft of tq, and should see 27 to 30 mpg on the highway. Fuel Delivery, engine mounting, transmission swap (I'd run the 48RE), Engine Management are the keys you'd have to address. A guy that's got experience welding, wiring, and some ambition could do this swap. They are not uncommon to see 4bt/cummins 24V swaps in vehicles, articles are everywhere!

2007 Sport 4.7L Bought New in Dec. of 07' w45 miles. Now has 70k+ Miles & 8 pages of Repair orders-255/65/17 Nitto Crosstek's, Flowmaster 50 SUV, A/C Delco Double Platinum copper cores, AMS Oil All the way around, K&N Air Filter, Weather Tech Floor mats, Lifetime Bumper to Bumper Warranty Exp.- 2082
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Points: 2,282, Level: 28 Points: 2,282, Level: 28 Points: 2,282, Level: 28
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%

Nice Dream! Diesel power on a Commander would be awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications > Programmers/Engine Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in