2008 Leep Commander Sport V6 3.7 mod questions - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Programmers/Engine Mods Questions or advice about programmers or engine mods? This is the place...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Points: 88, Level: 1 Points: 88, Level: 1 Points: 88, Level: 1
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

2008 Leep Commander Sport V6 3.7 mod questions

Hi everyone... This is my first post onto this forum and I am now the proud owner of a 08 Jeep Commander Sport. Wanted a jeep for a long time and finally returned enough cans to get one.

I have been reading through the forums on different topics about performance parts for commander and I have also been looking in some online stores as well...

There seems to be some decent products out there for chips, exhausts and intakes but nothing for the engine itself. I did read that a gentleman had put short headers for a Liberty in his 07 but I was unsure of it they would work for an 08.

Also is there a preferred chip to others?

On top of that question is there anything else besides shorties, intake, exhaust and a performance chip that can put into the engine...?

Thank you for all your help ahead of time

Nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

okay heres something that may help but might contradict itself... Im looking for performance parts that will help alittle in the mud but also help me **** and get if i need to? Is this even possible, to increase your low end and also your high end?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

okay i can see i have answered my questions myself... thanks for all the help........-_-

igf a mod can delete this post that would be greatly appreciated

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 03:40 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
No need to delete the post.

This forum can get a little slow...

So what did you come up with?

Intakes generally are stated not to increase power noticably, but exhaust can make a difference?

I just snagged a hypertech max energy on ebay for real cheap. Updated a few minutes ago and getting ready to load up the tune on the commander today.

Supposed to make +24 hp&torque and +2mpg improvement.

We shall see...

Gears would likely help this little thing out tremendously. The 3.05 are anemic as all heck. 3.73's from a 4.7l would be a good upgrade I think.

Many 3.8l guys are running 4.7l throttle bodies (the 3.8l use the same TB as the 3.7l) and note a performance improvement. This has been documented to work on 3.7l's as well. It is often called "viper TB" swap as the vipers run dual 4.7l TB's.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Well through my reading on the other posts on here and through other websites I have come up with.

K&N Intake System
Catback Exhaust System
The hypertech max energy chip*** never chipped anything but have heard they are user friendly. dont know anyone with a dyno

Would also like to put shortie headers but need to have the company contact me back about my questions regarding my engine.

Now that you have given me that information on the throttle body i might go with the larger one but would like to know more details... I want to put a throttle body on it but now my only concern is that if I run a 4.7 tb on a 3.7 engine what complications would I possibly have and would this all be fixed by the chip.

I want to gear to 3.73's and with knowing how to do the work I feel I wouldn't be dropping the now 2.5 almost 3k on shop work to do it but knowing I will need a master overhaul kit so working on it myself is my only option...

Im also going to be painting the calipers red for a total added hp gain of 20hp and from what everyone says basic stickers giver you a 5 hp gain while 4x4 stickers give you a 8+hp gain for bore/stroke.

Other than all of this I'm exploring into other vehicle engine performance upgrades to see if specifications will match up to my 3.7 V6. If they do then more research and questions must be asked regarding weither or not I can chip them into place
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Current Mileage: 125K
I have the K&N cai and had to put the k&n dry charger over the filter. It was allowing water into the engine. After you take the stock box and inlet tube away, the front end, filter, is wide open to the elements, not to mentiopn the whole underneath is exposed. It may be a better option to use the k&n insert filter. and a lot cheaper. The gains are minimal for a $380 piece.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 3.7l Silver black and crome Sport W QT1
K&N cai. Aridium 1X plugs. 1.5" Spider Trax...
Tinted windows gone. Got ticketed for 137.50!! Full Synthetic motor oil and many more mods...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

ahh good point... I wont be seeing some extreme mud but we get tons of snow... we got 152" this year so elements are something we deal with alot... What does everyone think about a turbo??? I think i can come up with one from the local junk yard.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 03:54 PM

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoodz_Green View Post
ahh good point... I wont be seeing some extreme mud but we get tons of snow... we got 152" this year so elements are something we deal with alot... What does everyone think about a turbo??? I think i can come up with one from the local junk yard.
Regarding a turbo:

I'm not aware of anyone on this forum running a turbo, let alone on the 3.7l.

Look @ squires turbo systems and design something similar would probably be the easiest way to go about it.

Your going to need to find a way to tune for the turbo.

You will need a custom tune and dyno time to really make it work as a daily driver most likely.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 03:57 PM

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoodz_Green View Post
Well through my reading on the other posts on here and through other websites I have come up with.

K&N Intake System
Catback Exhaust System
The hypertech max energy chip*** never chipped anything but have heard they are user friendly. dont know anyone with a dyno

Would also like to put shortie headers but need to have the company contact me back about my questions regarding my engine.

Now that you have given me that information on the throttle body i might go with the larger one but would like to know more details... I want to put a throttle body on it but now my only concern is that if I run a 4.7 tb on a 3.7 engine what complications would I possibly have and would this all be fixed by the chip.

I want to gear to 3.73's and with knowing how to do the work I feel I wouldn't be dropping the now 2.5 almost 3k on shop work to do it but knowing I will need a master overhaul kit so working on it myself is my only option...

Im also going to be painting the calipers red for a total added hp gain of 20hp and from what everyone says basic stickers giver you a 5 hp gain while 4x4 stickers give you a 8+hp gain for bore/stroke.

Other than all of this I'm exploring into other vehicle engine performance upgrades to see if specifications will match up to my 3.7 V6. If they do then more research and questions must be asked regarding weither or not I can chip them into place
The JBA headers for the Liberty work in this vehicle:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBA-Headers-...873abb&vxp=mtr

I just installed the Hypertech and posted about it in this thread
https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...t=16399&page=5

the 4.7l jeeps came with 3.73's and you would likely have an easier time swapping in the differentials than installing gears yourself.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 04:13 PM
Points: 4,033, Level: 40 Points: 4,033, Level: 40 Points: 4,033, Level: 40
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Quote:
Many 3.8l guys are running 4.7l throttle bodies (the 3.8l use the same TB as the 3.7l) and note a performance improvement. This has been documented to work on 3.7l's as well. It is often called "viper TB" swap as the vipers run dual 4.7l TB's.
Wait... so you're saying I can get a TB from a 4.7 and it'll fit my 3.7?!? Where was I when this info came out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications > Programmers/Engine Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in