Transmission tuner for W5A580 3.0CRD - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Programmers/Engine Mods Questions or advice about programmers or engine mods? This is the place...

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Points: 2,727, Level: 31 Points: 2,727, Level: 31 Points: 2,727, Level: 31
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sweden
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2009
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 3.0L CRD
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 90000
Posts: 23
Transmission tuner for W5A580 3.0CRD

I have done some research on the web to find a programmer that could change the shift points and shift speed, but have not been able to find one.

I saw the Tranzformer which exists for the W5A580 transmission but not for the Jeep Commander CRD.

Any ideas on where to find this?
commanderSwede is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 11:24 AM
Senior Member
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
luckyse7ens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CA
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Posts: 1,585
The CRD has the same trans as the 3.7L and the 6.1L SRT-8; The NAG-1

I don't know about tuners, but aftermarket TCMs, modified valve bodies, and high performance solenoids are available. The Charger/challenger/magnum guys would know more about these.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ad.php?t=33970

The v6 5spd auto tranny is actually a Mercedes-Benz trans.

It is also used in the srt8 (6.1L) vehicles.

You can swap the Brown Top Solenoids for the AMG Blue Top solenoids and improve shift speed up and down dramatically.


HOW TO (WK SRT-8)

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=52025

http://www.smallfleetparts.com/AMG-M.../dp/B009HCCIZW

http://www.smallfleetparts.com/MB-So.../dp/B009HC5LCE

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showth...My-Take-Anyway

Also NAG1 Modified valve body:
http://www.paramountperformanceshop...._p/ppns2vb.htm

Last edited by luckyse7ens; 11-04-2014 at 11:36 AM.
luckyse7ens is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Points: 2,727, Level: 31 Points: 2,727, Level: 31 Points: 2,727, Level: 31
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sweden
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2009
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 3.0L CRD
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 90000
Posts: 23
Yep, I read that you can change the Solenoids, but from what I understand the same end result can be achieved by programming the TCM for the transmission. Seems easier and completely configurable.

Seems almost too good to be true......

Here is some info:
http://www.zautotech.com/tranzformer.html

But it only lists for Dodge and Chrysler, but I would think it should work since it is the same transmission.

I sent an email to them asking about it. I will update this thread with what I find out.
commanderSwede is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:44 AM
Senior Member
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
luckyse7ens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CA
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderSwede View Post
Yep, I read that you can change the Solenoids, but from what I understand the same end result can be achieved by programming the TCM for the transmission. Seems easier and completely configurable.

Seems almost too good to be true......

Here is some info:
http://www.zautotech.com/tranzformer.html

But it only lists for Dodge and Chrysler, but I would think it should work since it is the same transmission.

I sent an email to them asking about it. I will update this thread with what I find out.
Thats great!Keep us updated
luckyse7ens is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Points: 2,727, Level: 31 Points: 2,727, Level: 31 Points: 2,727, Level: 31
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sweden
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2009
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 3.0L CRD
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 90000
Posts: 23
Heard back from Zautotech, and unfortunately the CAM communication differs between models. Not sure what CAM is though....some data bus?

So that was a bummer.

I am suprised that it would differ that much between vehicles from the same main company (Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep).

If you have any ideas, let me know.
commanderSwede is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 02:07 PM
Senior Member
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Mongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lusby, MD
Posts: 3,037
CAN NOT CAM, Car Area Network? either way it is CAN bus, there are actually several, hi-speed, CAN-A, CAN-B, etc. I think the commander has 3 CAN Busses.

Yes the protocols differ from vehicle to vehicle, so I would NOT buy something that is suppose to plug into your OBDII "D" connector to talk to a specific component unless your vehicle is specifically listed as being supported, even if it has the same transmission.

Do a search, there was a discussion about the blue top servo valves for the NAG1/W5A580 a while back.

On a guess based off what little I know about how the programming in an electronic trans works, I insisted swapping servo's would NOT do anything to improve performance, something like a reprogrammer would do it.

Several folks disagreed and produced references from Charger and Challenger forums that are using the NAG1/W5A580 trans, stating that the programming did very little for trans performance and the valve bodies and/or blue top servo's did make for much better shifting.

1 actual experience trumps a 1000 experts opinions, I'd look into the blue top servos, multiple people tried them and found improvements in the shifting of the NAG1/W5A580.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mongo; 11-05-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Mongo is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Senior Member
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
luckyse7ens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CA
Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Posts: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
CAN NOT CAM, Car Area Network? either way it is CAN bus, there are actually several, hi-speed, CAN-A, CAN-B, etc. I think the commander has 3 CAN Busses.

Yes the protocols differ from vehicle to vehicle, so I would NOT buy something that is suppose to plug into your OBDII "D" connector to talk to a specific component unless your vehicle is specifically listed as being supported, even if it has the same transmission.

Do a search, there was a discussion about the blue top servo valves for the NAG1/W5A580 a while back.

On a guess based off what little I know about how the programming in an electronic trans works, I insisted swapping servo's would NOT do anything to improve performance, something like a reprogrammer would do it.

Several folks disagreed and produced references from Charger and Challenger forums that are using the NAG1/W5A580 trans, stating that the programming did very little for trans performance and the valve bodies and/or blue top servo's did make for much better shifting.

1 actual experience trumps a 1000 experts opinions, I'd look into the blue top servos, multiple people tried them and found improvements in the shifting of the NAG1/W5A580.
Yeah I posted some links to what information I had found regarding this. It appears to be a fairly simple mod, that anyone that feels comfortable opening up a trans should be able to do. 2 solenoids plus fluid costs ($535) about the same as paying a dealership to replace fluids and filters I'll bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderSwede View Post
Heard back from Zautotech, and unfortunately the CAM communication differs between models. Not sure what CAM is though....some data bus?

So that was a bummer.

I am suprised that it would differ that much between vehicles from the same main company (Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep).

If you have any ideas, let me know.
I was fearful that that was the case.

Last edited by luckyse7ens; 11-05-2014 at 02:53 PM.
luckyse7ens is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications > Programmers/Engine Mods

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome