how to get more fuel economy out of my 06 4.7 commander. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Programmers/Engine Mods Questions or advice about programmers or engine mods? This is the place...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

how to get more fuel economy out of my 06 4.7 commander.

Hi, I am new to the commander. I am looking to get the most mileage improvement for money spent. I am not wishing to upgrade to 89 or 93 octane gas.

I have been thinking of deleting the mechanical cooling and going with a dual electric fan set up. It has a K n N filter in an oem intake system and stock exhaust. I want to keep it quiet also as it is my girlfriend's. Im in a welding class now and was going to get high flow cats and headers if I can get for cheap as we are both full time college students.

Thanks guys and gals for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 09:37 AM
Points: 6,645, Level: 53 Points: 6,645, Level: 53 Points: 6,645, Level: 53
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

The are other threads having to do with mileage on the 4.7 commanders I also have an 06 and the only other thing that got me a slight increase on mpg besides replacing worn sparkplugs was getting the superchips programmer, the economy mode did not do much for me but the 87 performance mode gave me much better throttle response and an increase of about 1.5mpg better with mixed driving city and highway. Now I average about 14.4 wile commuting to work before I was only able to get 12.5mpg.

06 Jeep Commander 4.7 QT II wih RC lift, Superchips 3872 and 245/75R17 Thunderer MT Tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 11:24 AM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Full synthetic fluids (trans/diffs/oil). Tune up parts, Catch can (more of an issue with the hemi), tuner.

That should make a noticable difference.

Certainly going to eFans would be something to look into also. Taurus v6 fans are a popular JY pull efan upgrade in general. I can't say I have seen it done on these vehicles personally however.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 01:45 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Once you get all your maintenance up to date and get the proper tire pressure dialed in the biggest gain is driving habits. Driving habits is the always the biggest factor in MPG on anything. I think the new super chips has one those coach modes in it to help you get the best MPG possible. Also most people report the best results with the performance tunes as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60 Points: 7,991, Level: 60
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Model year: 2010
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 140000
Cross bars or roof racks will make a noticeable difference as well. I removed my xbars and roof storage and have it stored in my garage.

Fluids, tune up, and tune increased my avg mpg from ~15 to ~18 even though I lifted and am running heavier wheels and tires.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Ah cool. Yeah she babies it. With the tuner, do you have to run high test?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:50 AM
Points: 15,989, Level: 81 Points: 15,989, Level: 81 Points: 15,989, Level: 81
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
OM recommends not running high test. May cause check engine light to come on.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 02:52 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Use the Octane recommended in the owner's manual for the vehicle. Using a lower octane can result in engine damage, possibly serious engine damage. Using lower octane, if you encounter detonation/pre-ignition would cause the PCM to retard the ignition timing and that could result in worse mileage.

Higher Octane fuels, depending one the area you live and the EPA mandated blend of fuel you must have, may have less oxygenated additives in it, that might result in a tiny gain in mileage. Some areas may have the same oxygenating additives as the low octane, and you'll NOT see any gain in mileage. Even if you do see a gain in mileage, its NOT likely to offset the higher cost of the higher octane fuel.

Octane is merely a measure of the burning properties of the fuel, it has nothing to do with the energy density of the fuel, all octanes "should" produce the same amount of energy. I mentioned before, because of various factors and mandated additives, you might find in some areas a barely measureable difference in energy density between octanes. Higher Octane fuels only resist pre-ignition/detonation better than low octane fuels, so if you build a motor with compression and tune to push harder and make more power, it will be more likely to detonate/pre-ignition and thus require the higher octane fuel. The cause for making more power is the motor design, the effect is higher octane, its NOT the other way around.

AFA, headers, custom exhaust and higher performance Catalytic Converters, NOT the way to go, the OEM exhaust is already very free flowing, its doubtful you're going to see any mileage increase by trying to modify it, and then enough to offset the high cost of installing a custom exhaust, but hey, at least it will be more prone to failure and leaks. I'd stick with the other suggestions listed so far. A good tune-up, higher pressure in the tires and mindful driving habits are your best course toward better mileage. The best mod, in my guess, would be one of the programmers that changes the PCM tune, that might produce actual results for the money spent.

The fans? Hmmm, I was under the impression the reason they went with an engine driven fan OEM is because there wasn't room to fit electric fans, perhaps I'm wrong or you can find aftermarket fans that fit?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:01 PM
Points: 15,989, Level: 81 Points: 15,989, Level: 81 Points: 15,989, Level: 81
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
Current Mileage: 165,000
Just verified in my 06 XK Owners manual that the only engine that is recommend for 89 octane is the Hemi. They state that performance may suffer in the other two engines if higher than 87 octane is used. Page 301 I believe.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 58,834, Level: 100 Points: 58,834, Level: 100 Points: 58,834, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
From the Owner's Manual (2006):

FUEL REQUIREMENTS
3.7/4.7L Engines (If Equipped)

All engines (except 5.7L engines) are designed
to meet all emissions regulations
and provide excellent fuel economy and
performance when using high quality unleaded
“regular” gasoline having an octane
rating of 87. The use of premium
gasoline is not recommended. Under normal conditions,
the use of premium gasoline will not provide a benefit
over high quality regular gasolines, and in some circumstances
may result in poorer performance.

5.7L Engines (If Equipped)

The 5.7L engine is designed to meet all
emissions regulations and provide satisfactory
fuel economy and performance when
using high quality unleaded gasoline having an octane
range of 87 to 89. The manufacturer recommends the use
of 89 octane for optimum performance. The use of
premium gasoline is not recommended. Under normal
conditions, the use of premium gasoline will not provide
a benefit over high quality regular and mid-grade gasolines,
and in some circumstances may result in poorer
performance.

Light spark knock at low engine speeds is not harmful to
your engine. However, continued heavy spark knock at
high speeds can cause damage and immediate service is
required.

Poor quality gasoline can cause problems such as hard
starting, stalling and hesitations. If you experience these
symptoms, try another brand of gasoline before considering
service for the vehicle.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Performance Modifications > Programmers/Engine Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in