Jeep Commander vs Toyota 4 Runner - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,425, Level: 29 Points: 2,425, Level: 29 Points: 2,425, Level: 29
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Jeep Commander vs Toyota 4 Runner

Anybody have any thoughts on this? The Toyota 4 Runner is perhaps Commander's main competitor.

The base Toyota SR5 has a V6 engine with 235 horsepower.

The base Commander with the 3.7 V6 has 210 horsepower

The midlevel Commander with 4.7 V8 has 235 horsepower, which is comparable to the Toyota V6, but is not nearly as efficient. I believe the Jeep V8 is rated a 15/19, while the Toyota V6 is rated at 18/23. Is this correct?

I have a Grand Cherokee now with an inline 6 and am thinking of upgrading to either of these two vehicles? I like the boxy, classic looks of the Commander over the Toyota. But I am reminded everyday of the cheap Jeep interior materials Chrysler uses when I drive my Grand Cherokee. Rattles and squeaks. The Toyota 4 Runner seems to have better grade materials, more efficient engines and more bang for the buck, with better resale.

I drove both and was very impressed with the SR5 V6 4 Runner, but preferred the ride of the V8 Commander. The Commander seems to have more "soul" while the Toyota--well, it's nice but...

Which is better? Anyone else considered these two and have an opinion?

Last edited by jeepster; 01-12-2006 at 08:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Points: 2,549, Level: 30 Points: 2,549, Level: 30 Points: 2,549, Level: 30
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%

Re: Jeep Commander vs Toyota 4 Runner

A couple people I work with own the Toyota SR5. They too liked the ride of the Commander. One of them owned a Grand Cherokee and commented that the Commander is a much improvement.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Points: 1,983, Level: 26 Points: 1,983, Level: 26 Points: 1,983, Level: 26
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%

se I'm thinking about leaseing and I dont think the commmanderwill even compare to the 4 runner. I'm in the same boat, toyota seems to make a better product but the commander is cool adn different

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Points: 3,029, Level: 33 Points: 3,029, Level: 33 Points: 3,029, Level: 33
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster
But I am reminded everyday of the cheap Jeep interior materials Chrysler uses when I drive my Grand Cherokee. Rattles and squeaks.
We have an 02 GC Sport, no rattles or squeaks here, it's one of the best 4WD around in my opinion along side of my LIBERTY. My 19 year old son is driving it now. Manufacturer sticker mileage claims are there to suck people in, they are probably obtained on a test track in ideal conditions, flat roads bla, blab, bla. We got the Commander because we LOVE JEEPS, which is the main reason. We have three of them now. If your worried about milage, get the toy. Personally, I also support our GREAT NATION, and buy AMERICAN, but that's just me. When we bought the Commander, we were considering the new Grand Cherokee, when we drove the Commander, there was no question due to the IFS.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Points: 4,498, Level: 42 Points: 4,498, Level: 42 Points: 4,498, Level: 42
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%

Thumbs up Re: Jeep Commander vs Toyota 4 Runner

I have also been comparing the 4Runner against the Commander. My current car is a 2003 Camry, and my last was a 2001 Tundra. I have been very pleased with Toyota and neither of those two cars has ever been in for warranty service. Compare that to my wife's Nissan which is in the shop every other month...

I decided on the commander for a few reasons. First, my head hits the ceiling in the Toy unless there is no sunroof. But they package their options, and you can't get a fully loaded 4Runner without a sunroof. I'm 6-1, which is not so tall that I should be hitting my head on the roof.

While the two vehicles are very similar in dimensions, the Jeep feels much bigger and roomier inside. This is partly because of the forward windshield and large dash in the Jeep. In the Toyota, you are sitting very close to the windshield and the dash is only a few inches deep. It's a matter of opinion, but the 4Runner felt very cramped to me. Another thing I didn't like was the dual temp/AC controls. It looked like it was glued onto the dash as an afterthought. That's just not right for a 40k+ car.

Lastly, the third row in the 4Runner is VERY poorly designed. That whole fold-up-to-the-sides system is crap and only gives you a few extra inches of cargo room. So if you want the third row as "security" for when you might need them for carrying your kids' friends (which is what most people want when they get a third row), the Toyota doesn't cut it. You either have to leave the seats in all the time and have no cargo room, or take them out and leave them in your garage, which - if it's like mine - is already spilling over with junk!

Mechanically and quality-wise you can't go wrong with the Toyota. But the Jeeps are great cars, too. Much better than they were 10 years ago. Maybe they won't get as much on the resale, but that's not really what I'm buying for.

Last piece of advice - get the Hemi! It blows the iForce V8 out of the water!

Last edited by Haags; 01-13-2006 at 09:37 AM.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Points: 2,473, Level: 30 Points: 2,473, Level: 30 Points: 2,473, Level: 30
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango~Ridge
I also support our GREAT NATION, and buy AMERICAN, but that's just me.
I hate to take this to a political debate but I just can't help myself when I read comments like this. No argument with you on the greatness of the nation. Part of its greatness is freedom to buy whatever we want, from whereever we want unlike most of the world that shuts itself off from foreign competition and is stuck with mediocre products at high prices.

What is an American car? Is Jeep really American if it is owned by a German company? Is a Honda built in Ohio with 70% US parts less of an American car than a Buick built in Mexico with 50% US parts? Is Saab an American car because it is owned by GM? There is so much interdependency and cross ownership between manufacturers today that it is nearly impossible to tell what an American car is.

If everyone had thought like your statement 20 years ago, the Big 3 would still be putting out pieces of garbage. It was foreign competition that forced domestics to improve and we should all be grateful for it.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 06:32 AM
Points: 2,119, Level: 27 Points: 2,119, Level: 27 Points: 2,119, Level: 27
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Ditto on Haags comments. Looked at both including the pathfinder. Both seemed cramp and that goes for the GC as well. At 6'1'' I don't consider myself a big person but felt cramped in the 4R and Pathfinder. They both make great vehicles very well respected. They hold their value but it comes sown to what you need. The commander offered us seemingly more room. We don't feel cramped on long rides to the mountains - 2 dogs and one child. Plus when we need the extra seats it's easy to use with out losing the cargo space.

I personally like the simplicity of the commander controls. Plus they’re very good off-road.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Points: 3,029, Level: 33 Points: 3,029, Level: 33 Points: 3,029, Level: 33
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

Boy did I stir things up, your right edlv, what is American anymore!. I'm an old motor head from the 70's. I've owned GM vehicles all my life. To me Jeep is American heritage. Granted, people can track and pick apart where Jeeps actually originated, but now they are American products by heritage, they wern't manufactured anywhere else but America. Today, parts of all vehicles are made all over the world to produce the vehicles we drive today and DC has got their stuff together NOW! Toys are cool, put together very well and last a long time if taken care of. If we didn't get the Commander, we would have got the GC Overland with the Hemi. Who is whellin today???

The wife and I are headed out!!!!
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Points: 2,126, Level: 27 Points: 2,126, Level: 27 Points: 2,126, Level: 27
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

If you look at the sticker on a vehicle, you will find what is a true AMERICAN vehicle. Ther reason I went with my Jeep is that it is ASSEMBLED 45 minutes from my house with 87% AMERICAN parts. Basically only the radio/ electronics and maybe the tires are outsourced to different countries. Nothing that you can help with in this day in age....unless Jeep decided to go with Cooper tires (maybe then I wouldn't need to kick in the 4WD as often - Cooper tires are very good). Buy American. By keeping a US company in buisness you save your neighbor from losing his job. You might even save your own job.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:24 AM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

FYI, Toyota's quality has suffered a lot in the past few years. As their sales numbers increased they have sort of cut corners in my opinion. I knew a guy who owned a new Prius, cloth was coming of the center console and the rear bumper started to come loose (by itself) at about 30,000 miles.

And is DCX really a German company? Remember, it was a "merger of equals" And really it was, Dodge / Chrysler / Jeep gets tried and true Mercedes platforms and powertrains while Mercedes gets Dodge / Chrysler / Jeep's profits to keep developing new platforms and powertrains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in