New Commander Questions - Please HELP - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,951, Level: 26 Points: 1,951, Level: 26 Points: 1,951, Level: 26
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

New Commander Questions - Please HELP

Just bought. We just bought our new Commander Limited three weeks ago. Red with everything but remote start, DVD, and handsfree. Loving how the vehicle drives and rides. It is the only one I have seen on the roads in my area so far. I purchased all of the slush mats. Love them! Very nice material and all fit well. I also purchased the cargo mat. Not liking that so much. After having the well fitting cargo mat in my Land Rover (which I traded for the Commander) I think Jeep needs to go back to the design department on that one and make one that is not so flimsy, that actually fits the space, and that does not need to be attached with bungy cords around the third seat headrests.

Given wrong vehicle. We had something strange happen. We purchased our car on 12-31-06 and the dealership flew 410 miles to the coast to pick it up for us and we got it on 01-02-06. After having it for three weeks, the dealership told us last Friday that they picked up the wrong car. They hadn't noticed that the vehicle they brought back did not have the correct VIN and did not have the Off Road Group II (which I noticed myself and was calling them to inquire about). They are installing that Friday at the dealership. They just had me sign new paperwork with the new VIN on it. Does this situation sound strange to anyone? We are a little worried.

STRANGE NOISE: Ever since I got the vehicle, which I have only put 270 miles on so far, when I start it up in the morning or in the evening after work, a noise starts that sounds like running water through pipes. It gets louder as the car warms up and then dies off after a while. I have taken it back to the dealership every Friday since I got the vehicle and, of course, it doesn't make the sound while I have the mechanic in the car. I am going back again this Friday to have them check the sound out, tell me what the strange smell is that started today that is like fireworks that have just been set off, and to get my Off Road Group II installed.

Any comments on the wrong car, noise, and smell issue would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 11:22 PM
Points: 4,319, Level: 41 Points: 4,319, Level: 41 Points: 4,319, Level: 41
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%

Re: New Commander Questions - Please HELP

I got a better vehicle than the one I signed up for. It was from a dealer in Portland, OR where there was an ice storm the day my dealer went after it. Not sure exactly what happened but I think they skidded it into a pole in the loosing dealer's lot. The one I got was similar but had the Quadra Trak II & traction control, wheels & special tires, a hitch, etc. More better, same price.

Last edited by Jim Archer; 01-26-2006 at 09:16 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Jim. That's around where I think mine came from. What color is yours? Saddle seats?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Points: 4,319, Level: 41 Points: 4,319, Level: 41 Points: 4,319, Level: 41
Level up: 85% Level up: 85% Level up: 85%

NW Jeep, Inc., Beaverton. Silver, grey cloth interior.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Points: 2,221, Level: 28 Points: 2,221, Level: 28 Points: 2,221, Level: 28
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

Surprisingly, trading for and picking up the wrong vehicle is not all that uncommon. What usually happens is that the dealer trading the vehicle out has got another one the same color with similar equipment that might only be one or two numbers different on the V.I.N., primarily because they were ordered at the same time. The dealer trade coordinator is supposed to make sure that the vehicle he/she is giving up, or taking in for that matter, matches the V.I.N. on the MSO (Title).

It does sound to me like the dealer is doing everything they can to make it right for you.

As for the sound; if your Commander has the rear air/heater, then the noise might be that one of the hoses has come loose or maybe has a hole in it and possibly there is an air pocket or something. Definitely have the service dept. check it out.

If the above statement turns out to be the case, then the smell might be that of coolant leaking on to a hot surface, or it may just be the "new car engine" smell.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Points: 3,651, Level: 38 Points: 3,651, Level: 38 Points: 3,651, Level: 38
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%

I do not think that it was anything done on purpose, but that does not change the rules on the sale. The off road group added at the dealer is NOT exact to the one from the factory. Understand that. It will also not be on the VIN, but be an accessory. Just little legal things. Point is, if you like it, thenno biggy. If not, you can actually force the dealer into getting you an identical one to the one you signed up for or returning your money. This is very similar to the lemon law, but in this case it is the dealer that sold you the car that is at fault. The law is very specific on this topic. Malice has nothing to do with it. Even if it was an honest mistake, the law applies. Also, anything that they got you to sign after the fact does NOT relieve them of the responsibility. That can only happen with your documented consent. In short, you did not get what you bargained for. What if the Off Road II was a deciding factor for you (as it would be for me)? There are many state specific laws that also come into play, but most are getting to be the same.
The dealer should be bending over backwards to make you happy, so I would expect much more than just them adding the Off Road II. The dealer accessory Off Road package is to include rock rails. Does yours get that?
Also, how many miles were on the truck when you took delivery? That can be a telling sign of "why" such a mistake could occur. Again, ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Jim, Jangy, & Ranger, Thank you so much for all of your great responses.

Jim, at first I was thinking that maybe you got mine and I got yours, but mine is red.

Ranger, I was thinking air in the line too and have an appointment with the Jeep service department tomorrow. I will let you know what the sound turns out to be. I have never heard that sound in a rig before.

Jangy, you have really empowered me to determine whether I want to keep this one or get one that already has everthing we purchased. I agree that I should not have to be the one that gives up anything because of this error that I had nothing to do with. The two issues are the Off-Road Group II (which I am reconsidering whether to have added tomorrow) and the strange sound (which I hope can be resolved tomorrow). We are talking to an attorney in the morning as you have brought so many legal issues to light that I was not aware of. When one spends that much on a rig, it had better be PERFECT!

Thanks again!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 09:35 PM

Good for you.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Points: 2,221, Level: 28 Points: 2,221, Level: 28 Points: 2,221, Level: 28
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

I believe the option you stated that was left off of the vehicle you ended up with is the Off Road Group II. This option consists of front suspension skid plate, fuel tank skid plate, tow hooks, and transfer case skid plate. This is entirely different than the dealer installed Off Road Group that Jangy mentioned. Your dealer can indeed install all of the skid plates that are part of the factory Off Road Group II. As long as they are going to take care of the extra costs in dealer labor for you, this really is a non-issue.

As for all of the legalities, you are indeed the decision maker. If you would rather them try to find you another one, and you have not contracted on this particular Commander, let them know.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 09:38 PM

The gas tank will need to be removed to change out the tank skid. Also, the VIN will NOT show the package on it. The dealer can add an addendum to the VIN and say that each part was added later, but it won't show up on the VIN unless the factory adds it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in