Useful Tidbits - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Points: 10,373, Level: 67 Points: 10,373, Level: 67 Points: 10,373, Level: 67
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Useful Tidbits

The following I stole shamelessly from another forum and thought they might be useful tidbits for the users here. Thanks to 'jeepcmdr' for the advise.
It's refreshing to see som many people positive about their new vehicle and sharing useful information. Remember: JEEPS ARE MADE NOT BOUGHT

UNCONNECT FEATURES
Use the UConnect Without Reaching for the Rearview Mirror by jeepcmdr
The radio controls on the back of the steering wheel do double duty and supplement the UConnect Phone and Voice Command buttons on the rear view mirror.

I haven't found this in any manual yet and discovered this by accident.

Holding down the left radio control button on the back of the steering wheel for a couple of seconds will activate the UConnect "Phone" option (don't push the up or down but rather the raised portion directly in the center of the button).

On a lark I thought I'd see what would happen with the right button - yes, it activates the "Voice" command button and allows you to send numeric dial commands to voice mail, etc... (e.g. push the button, say "1 2 3 4 SEND" to send 1234 to the other phone/voicemail system.

WIND NOISE
Check the roof rack crossbars - one or both might be installed backwards. I experienced severe windnoise at 60+ mph and kicked myself for not testing the Jeep at highway speeds. The salesman indicated that the crossbars might not be installed in the optimum location (the owners manual addresses this). On checking the crossbars I saw that rear crossbar was installed with the front facing rearward. There was a bright yellow sticker with arrow showing the correct orientation and embossed words on the front edge of the crossbar also indicating the correct orientation. I flipped the crossbar around and the windnoise problem was resolved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Re: Useful Tidbits

Those are both useful tips. Perhaps there needs to be a section on this site for them so they don't get lost in the large number of posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Points: 2,355, Level: 29 Points: 2,355, Level: 29 Points: 2,355, Level: 29
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

... the first change I made when I got me C. was to completely remove the cross bars. I have only used them once so far (Xmas tree) and do not need the added weight or noise. They are very easily removable

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Points: 2,350, Level: 29 Points: 2,350, Level: 29 Points: 2,350, Level: 29
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faustus
... the first change I made when I got me C. was to completely remove the cross bars. I have only used them once so far (Xmas tree) and do not need the added weight or noise. They are very easily removable
While on the subject of Cross rails... I carry a THULE roof cargo rack (or box) from time to tiime. The Thule box came with the necessary hardware to mount it on my wife's 2k3 GC Limited, However to mount it on the XK (which is equiped with the factory Cross rails) the existing mounting hardware must be updated to the hardware that will allow mounting to the XK. The necessary mounting hardware is available from Thule for $25.00 + shipping. I installed the rack (box) on the XK using the new mounting hardware with no problems.

JC
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 02:04 PM

New Discovery!...Anyone with the Navigation Radio in the XK...You can use steering wheel controls to operate the Navigation System, just like the Navigation radio in the Grand Cherokee.

You can switch the Navigation controls from the radio buttons to the steering wheel by holdiing down the Center button on the right side of the steering wheel, then while holding the button down...press and release the center button on the left side of the steering wheel. Then if you look at the display on the monitor you will see a steering wheel icon on the lower right of the display (next to the clock). During the time the steering wheel icon is displayed control of the Navigation is switched to the steering wheel. To switch control back to the radio buttons, just hold the center button on the right side of the steering wheel and press and release the center button on the left side of the steering wheel and the steering wheel icon is no longer visible.

JC

Last edited by jessecad; 01-31-2006 at 07:53 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%

Thats a pretty cool tip too because I remember some reviewer whining they couldn't control the nav system from the steering wheel. I guess they just didn't know the "cheat code"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Points: 4,498, Level: 42 Points: 4,498, Level: 42 Points: 4,498, Level: 42
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%

I played around with the Nav and I found it to be slightly different than what Jessecad provided. If you hold down the center button on the right side for a few seconds, the steering wheel controls switch to the Nav system, similar to holding the left button to activate U-Connect. I did not have to press both buttons to enable the Nav control. Once it's enabled, the left and right side controls work together to scroll and select Nav options.

Also, it is only a temporary change. After 30 seconds of non-use, the steering controls switch back to the normal audio system mode and the little steering wheel disappears.

Great find, Jessecad. I wonder why DCX doesn't put this info in the Nav system manual? Unless I just missed it...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 05:05 PM

You are right Haags...I guess while I was checking out the "new" hidden feature I just pressed the left side of the wheel (which would have been the same as enter) while holding the right center button in. But not pressing the left center button would be the same as not pressing enter so I guess it would assume the wheel would not be used, and revert back to the radio buttons. But even if I press the left center button while holding the right center button the system acknowledges the left center button was pressed (which would be enter). Both ways the system reverts back to the radio buttons after a short wait...

Thanks for the info...(and the correction)...

JC
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Points: 10,373, Level: 67 Points: 10,373, Level: 67 Points: 10,373, Level: 67
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%

Great tip... had a chance to check it out today. The right button (held down) activates the Nav on the steering whl.. then the center left button acts as enter, and smaller indented buttons as the scroll. The right small indented buttons still control the radio volume.
Thanks for the discovery.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Points: 3,094, Level: 34 Points: 3,094, Level: 34 Points: 3,094, Level: 34
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%

OOOOH that is sweet! I'm gonna try that. Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in