3 Questions from a Newbie - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

3 Questions from a Newbie

Hi Guys:

Have a Limited 3.0 litre diesel which I have owned from new. Have been anal about servicing and have treated it very gently.

Problem #1 Just before Christmas, I noticed a sound coming from under the hood when I acelerated from standing. It sounded like a loose manifold - sort of a rattling, choofing noise. At the 60K km service, I asked dealer to investigate. I was told that my diesel particulate filter had "come apart" (their words). Fine, I said, replace it. Embarassed silence. "Er, it shall cost $4,752 to replace, plus installation." I realised that, despite less than 61K on the clock, extended warranty and an impeccable service record, they wanted me to pay for it. After some very robust discussions, Jeep Australia dropped price by $2,000. Dealer says that this is the first time he has ever heard of a DPF failing. Went on-line to see if I could locate one on the net - nothing to be found. Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone else heard of this problem? Should I lie back and think of England whilst they do a number on me?

Problem #2 As part of the promo deal when I got the Commander, they gave me a "free" sat-nav - a Garmim Navus. What a pile of useless crap it turned out to be. Map was two years out of date when I got it. Garmin refused to honour the free upgrade that you are supposed to get when you first buy a GPS from them. Jeep Australia ignored me - why not? I had already purchased the vehicle, so nothing to be gained by wasting their precious time on me. Oh, I could buy an upgrade card from them for $500... The thing sits on top of the dash in an ugly housing. I want it gone. Trouble is, it shall leave screw holes in the dash. Any thoughts? I was going to simply put a small as possible sheet of plastic over the holes and mount a Tom Tom or similar on top of that. Garmin is dead to me.

Problem #3. I want to put a UHF unit in the vehicle. No obvious spot. Under the seat won't work. Suggestions? Should I simply go with a 5 watt handheld? If a dash unit, where is the recommended location for the aerial?

Boydie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 03:55 AM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
If you cant get any help, why not pay for the upgrade? I think some one
should be doing it for you, jeep or garmin, but it beats taking it out, I would think.

I put my radio in the cubby on the left side of the wheel, but you may not
have that option.,Post pics of the interior looking at the steering wheel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Benjamin Davis Pirtle
1990-2015
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Most of us on the board are American, and the Diesel engine is NOT an option in America, so lots of tips and answer are NOT likely to come your way.

What is the conversion rate between Australian and U.S. dollars? The prices you are talking about are way over what these cost in the U.S.; most GPS map updates don't cost more than $100 USD, but perhaps you need to pull from the larger international maps that cost more.

"UHF"? Again, sounds like we have a cultural difference, in the U.S. "UHF" is used to talk about a band of broadcast television. Sounds like your talking about the Australian version of "Citizens Band (CB)" radio, as we refer to it in the U.S. and its in the "HF" band for us. So antennas are likely going to be different and have different characteristics, so take what any American tells you about UHF with a grain of salt, what works here might NOT work with the different Australian system. CB has waned in popularity in the U.S., you're likely going to have to get creative and come up with your own solution. Back in the days when CB was popular in the U.S., one of the most popular CB's were a remotely mounted electronics box with all of the controls in the hand held Mic, thus just have to mount a socket for the cord to the Mic in a seen spot in the vehicle.

Warranties are to cover defect in materials and workmanship, if you encounter a problem that is NOT the result of that, the warranty doesn't cover it. Something failing earlier than it should, if it was used as intended (i.e. serviced properly and NOT abused in extreme use or environments), logically would be the result of a defect in materials and workmanship.

Extended warranties differ, they are more of a vehicle maintenance and repair contract. Read the contract carefully, make sure what they are telling you is correct and they are NOT trying to weasel out of their commitment.

A diesel particulate filter cost $4,752 to replace, I do NOT have a lot of experience with Diesel motors, and I can understand how a filter, that is likely part of the very complex and high stress fuel pump and control unit, could be a lot more expensive than a gasoline engine to replace, but 50 times the cost? Something sounds fishy to me. (That proportion may be off, if this is in Australian Dollars if they differ a lot in the U.S., a gasoline filter in the USD would cost $50 USD, and likely $100 USD if you have them install it)

If you don't get a good answer from the forum, I'd take your vehicle to get a 2nd opinion, either another dealer or an independent shop. You can complain to Chrysler Customer Service

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mongo; 02-14-2011 at 08:18 AM.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7

Here is where my CB is installed.
Can you use a magnetic mount for your radio?

Check out Lekmed antenna install.
Click here to check out Lekmedm antenna install

PDF guide on to remove luggage rack

Benjamin Davis Pirtle
1990-2015
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
Thats the problem, I could be wrong, but if Australia uses the "UHF" band for its CB system, then they likely use a totally different antenna. UHF is usually a big blade antenna, like on airplanes. In fact I seem to remember pictures of the Australian outback with vehicles with big blade antennas on them, I might be thinking of military vehicles though. When Military vehicles are equipped with UHF for talking with Aircraft, they have those big blade antennas.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Points: 8,665, Level: 62 Points: 8,665, Level: 62 Points: 8,665, Level: 62
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

Hi Boydie,
YOU SHOULD NOT ROLL OVER AND PAY THIS.
I Google'd a diesel particulate filter and it's very similar in theory to a petrol car's catalytic converter... and it makes sense that the rattle sound could have come from it "coming apart", if that's indeed the case, as it's part of the exhaust's emission system. Here in the USA there are strict laws supporting a new cars emission system called the "Federal emissions warranty". If a major part of your emmision system fails, it's usually covered for 10yrs/100k miles.

You may or may not have similar federal coverage but please check into that! Sounds very fishy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydie View Post
Hi Guys:
Problem #1 Just before Christmas, I noticed a sound coming from under the hood when I acelerated from standing. It sounded like a loose manifold - sort of a rattling, choofing noise. At the 60K km service, I asked dealer to investigate. I was told that my diesel particulate filter had "come apart" (their words). Fine, I said, replace it. Embarassed silence. "Er, it shall cost $4,752 to replace, plus installation." I realised that, despite less than 61K on the clock, extended warranty and an impeccable service record, they wanted me to pay for it. After some very robust discussions, Jeep Australia dropped price by $2,000. Dealer says that this is the first time he has ever heard of a DPF failing. Went on-line to see if I could locate one on the net - nothing to be found. Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone else heard of this problem? Should I lie back and think of England whilst they do a number on me?

Boydie

06 Commander 4.7 LTD... fine Corinthian leather! And a hacked REC-Nav.

Last edited by elgineddie; 02-14-2011 at 08:36 AM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

On the right side, while looking at it, of the Navus, is an access door. In there you will find the flash card. Push on the card, and it will pop out. I'm not sure about Austraila, but in the US Garmin has all their updated maps available on a CD. It cost me $78.00. You have to load the maps from the CD onto your computer. Buy a 2GB flash card - that is the largest the Navus will recognize (the one you have now is more than likely a 1GB). Pick the maps you want and drag them to the flash card. You can only do this once - if you forget a map, you have to start over. Once you have maps on the flash card, you can't add to them, but you can reload the card by deleting what is already on there. You can reload the card as many times as you want. Garmin advised me not to reload on the original card, because if something happened, I'd not have a back up! I have the original card, but will probably never use it again. I am lucky in that my computer had a flash card slot. I like my unit a lot, and have never had an issue with it. If you decide to remove it, there are three holes. 2 for the plastic mounting screws and one for the harness. The other end of the harness plugs into the radio.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgineddie View Post
Hi Boydie,
YOU SHOULD NOT ROLL OVER AND PAY THIS.
I Google'd a diesel particulate filter and it's very similar in theory to a petrol car's catalytic converter...
Thanks, I was thinking he meant some sort of fuel filter.

That makes a little more sense, I have read that the Diesel pollution controls are very expensive, either using more of the precious metals than gasoline catalyst or consuming large amounts of chemicals you have to keep topping off, like eura.

Another thing that sounds fishy to me, in the U.S. this is a big scam for mechanics; anytime the exhaust develops a rattle, they tell you you have to replace the Catalytic converter, its coming apart inside and its causing the rattle. I had Muffler shop try to rip me off on this on a car I owned, I told them to forget the tailpipe, take the car off the lift and I left, 180k miles later that vehicle was still passing anual pollution inspections with flying colors, there was nothing wrong with the Catalytic Converter.

There are many things that can cause rattles in the exhaust, only incompetent or unethical mechanics immediately jump to the conslusion that its the Converter, and present you with a mega-dollar bill to replace it. Again, Australia may be different the U.S., the U.S. has a test system that will tell you if the Catalytic Converter is bad or NOT. Your rattle could be as simple as a loose exhaust shield and there is nothing wrong with that particulate filter. Maybe go to a reputable shop and get a 2nd opinion.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Points: 2,073, Level: 27 Points: 2,073, Level: 27 Points: 2,073, Level: 27
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%

Send a message via Yahoo to JBenn911
Quote:
Hi Guys:

Problem #3. I want to put a UHF unit in the vehicle. No obvious spot. Under the seat won't work. Suggestions? Should I simply go with a 5 watt handheld? If a dash unit, where is the recommended location for the aerial?

Boydie
Is it a piece of amateur radio gear (70cm that operates in the 400mhz +/- band) ?? If you dont have the gear, look for a piece that has a remote head. I'm about to mount an Icon 2820 in mine, either next to the steering wheel or on the passenger side of the dash

2007 Hemi Limited Silver
2011 Ford Raptor
2008 Chevy 2500 Suburban (Work truck)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Points: 5,759, Level: 49 Points: 5,759, Level: 49 Points: 5,759, Level: 49
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%

Quote:

I'm with JBenn911 and would consider a radio that has a remote front panel. I also have a dual band ( VHF 2m/ UHF 70cm ) radio. The heart of the radio is mounted under the dash on the passenger side. With a remote head you have a lot of options on where you might want to mount it.

For an antenna location, most of the time for best performance, on top of the roof in the center. A lot of us,(including myself) prioritize other factors over best performance. I'm going to try and mount mine on top of an aftermarket rear tire carrier. I'm also aware I might run into ground plane/SWR problems.

For other options in this forum search for "CB" radio and antenna mounting locations. Here is one link https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...?t=7979&page=6

2010 Limited > 5.7> Pearl Black > QDII > 4 Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts+1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MTs > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire /Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders + Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear + JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

Last edited by USMC; 02-14-2011 at 12:18 PM. Reason: added link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in