TG Third Brake light - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Points: 8,547, Level: 62 Points: 8,547, Level: 62 Points: 8,547, Level: 62
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

TG Third Brake light

Talk about an expensive bulb to replace.... the brake lights across the top of the tailgate became intermittant about a year ago. A thump with a clenched fist would usually bring them back on, but this year, the thumpings became intolerable. The Safety inspection guy failed me first try, so I went home and cleaned the contacts. Well it stayed working for about 2 days. Ultimately, I found that it was not the connections, but some solder joint on the circuit board that is loose. I removed the entire unit, but can find no way into the unit.

I've purchased a new light bar, (100 dollars - ouch) and it all works now, but would like to dig into the old one and touch up the solder joints.

Anyone else have a similar story?

KKKKFL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Points: 8,547, Level: 62 Points: 8,547, Level: 62 Points: 8,547, Level: 62
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%

Amazing,
There's been 80 views and not one person has had a similar experience? I'm looking for someone that has experience opening up the unit.

KKKKFL
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Points: 4,007, Level: 40 Points: 4,007, Level: 40 Points: 4,007, Level: 40
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%

I've tried taking mine apart, it didn't end well... broke one corner of the lens and had to glue it back on.

2006 XK 4.7V8 | Quadra-Drive II | Daystar 2" Lift | K&N Filter | Port and Polished Throttle Body| Magnaflow# 12256 | IAT Mod | Leather, heated seats, Command View| Factory Tow hooks | Full factory skids | Rear D-Ring Shackle |

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 05:12 AM
Points: 6,649, Level: 53 Points: 6,649, Level: 53 Points: 6,649, Level: 53
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

I just repaired mine. Look closely at the circuit boards and notice they are double sided soldered.....ok, that is for the components but not the positive and negative buss bars. You can access each one from opposite sides. Follow the connector and you willl see floating buss bars. I used a drill press to create a access hole for the soldering iron on the opposite side of the resisitor. A drill will not work, it will drive it to damage the board. Once you see the buss bar connections, look close and notice the solder connections are loose due the ring around them. Resolder carefully and you are good to go. One of the connections is very close to each other, careful that you do not try to over solder and create a shorting solder bridge. That could cause it to melt or catch on fire.

2006, Trail Rated, 4.7 QTII, Back-up Camera.
Summer project: Yakima roof rack with KC lights and Kayak Carrier....on board air for beach driving.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Points: 1,168, Level: 18 Points: 1,168, Level: 18 Points: 1,168, Level: 18
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%

I'm going thought the same thing. I noticed several months ago it would intermittently work. I found one on line for 75. I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in