Test Driving '07 Commander Tomorrow - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Test Driving '07 Commander Tomorrow

I've owned a '95 YJ, an '06 TJ and currently drive an '07 JK. Now it's time to get my wife a Jeep! We are going to be test-driving an '07 Commander Sport V6 4wd tomorrow. It has 43,000 miles and their asking $16,000. Seems like a good price, what do y'all think? Is there anything I really need to watch for as far as common problems with this model year? Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Points: 10,142, Level: 67 Points: 10,142, Level: 67 Points: 10,142, Level: 67
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

I think you need to rename your thread title.

It should read "I am buying an 07 Commnader tomorrow"

I say that because if you have not driven one already you will fall in love immediately.

I have an 06 Commander with the V6 and I think it is awesome.

I don't know of any issues with the 07 but mine had issues with the front window regulators which was fixed under warrenty. Other than that I haven't had to fix anything I did not break myself.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Points: 9,847, Level: 66 Points: 9,847, Level: 66 Points: 9,847, Level: 66
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 57200
As you are test driving very soon, you do not have much time to search the forums. I own an '07 Sport and the things I checked for when buying were as follows:

Transmission cooler lines seeping. Down near the lower radiator hose where the rubber line is crimped into the steel line. The swedge on the steel part tends to seep on the factory lines. The lines will be wet with trans fluid if leaking. If this were left unattended to, it could cause permanent trans damage. Check fluid for off-color or odor. I can't remeber if the V6 has a trans dipstick.

Does it have a moon roof? If so, there have been numerous owners with leaks. Many different reasons but the most common seems to be plugged drain lines. Not a terribly hard fix. Look for water stains on the head liner. Water will also pond on the floor in the front passenger footwell. Look for signs of moisture. Could be other reasons with lengthy description.

There might be some differences between common problems for V6 versus V8. The best place to look is in the Problems/Dealer service section of the forum. If you have any mechanical knowledge, checking the regular items before buying any car can tell you some of what the vehicle has right or wrong. Do as much reading on this site before you go. A little knowledge can save a lot of hassle.

Good luck! If you do purchase, this site is the place for help.

"Why is it that everything I find enjoyable is fattening, immoral, or illegal?"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%

Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Overland
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 126000
I just bought an '06 FULLY loaded Limited with 52k on it for $19k, just so you have a price comparison. Although I think I got an above average deal, I thought I'd throw it out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Overland with all the options (including boulder-kissed bumper)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Points: 8,022, Level: 60 Points: 8,022, Level: 60 Points: 8,022, Level: 60
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
I don't know that there's anything you need to look out for, but your mechanic should check everything.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Buy it - then ride it through that Mississippi Mud!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

try to get the service records at least or have all the fluids changed before you buy it.

Stop by and like the page

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Points: 2,659, Level: 31 Points: 2,659, Level: 31 Points: 2,659, Level: 31
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%

Ditto

I'm driving one in the near future as well. The one I'm looking into is an '07 Limited w/ 5.7 QDII. It is being shipped in through carmax and should be here within two weeks.

I think it would be interesting to compare / contrast our opinions and experiences. I think the outside arrival estimate on mine is the 24th so I should have my first impression by then.

Anyways, based on my research the most common issues have already been mentioned (sunroof leaking and possible floor board water incursions). There have also been a number of service recalls for stalling issues at low speeds or issues with it not changing gears properly under hard cornering.

A thorough test drive is my best recommendation. I also read on here that one fellow took the XK to a Jeep dealer and paid them to do a full run through with all technical service bulletins, etc.

Obviously a carfax or similar report would be a good idea as well.

Best of luck!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

The V6 has the Mercedes Transmission, it does NOT come with a dipstick you are suppose to take it to the dealer for servicing. You can purchase a dipstick off ebay for like $25, but you have to check against the temperature of the fluid and a chart for an exact level, that beyonds most owners ability.

The HVAC blend doors are actuated by an electric motor, NOT vacuum or cables like most cars in the past. Its a problem area for the commander, a little plastic lever from that motor breaks and the HVAC blend doors do NOT open correctly and air does NOT flow out of the vents properly. So turn the Blower Motor on full and check the airflow out all the vents as you change modes on the HVAC. If the motor is turning, but airflow seems blocked or misdirected, then it needs to be fixed. Its just needs a $30 plastic part replaced, many folks have done it themselves, but many dealer would likely rake you over the coals on labor for fixing this.

Check the spare tire, its a full size and you need a full size because of the EBCS/ESP that can NOT work with different sized wheels. It on the underside of the rear of the vehicle. They have sagged down and make clunking noises as they rock back and forth, cinching it back up will probably fix it. I bought my Commander used from a dealer, but they got it from a rental company. The spare tire had been stolen out of it, I didn't notice until I got it home. So double check, considering the cost of the wheel/tire and that you can steel the spare in a moment from any parked commander with a set of bolt cutters, I'm sure I'm NOT the only one that has had a spare stolen.

Finally, the KEYS, make sure you get two of them or find out how many have been made total in its life, i.e. how many the P.O. lost. The FOBIK are a major PIA to have copies made, and if buy the key from the dealer, it will easily cost you hundreds of dollars just for a copy of a key. The earlier Xponder key is a pain as well, but I don't think it is as bad as the Fobiks. You can only have 7-8 keys total made the whole life of the vehicle any more will NOT work.

Most used Commanders will only come with one key, the P.O. will almost always loose one and will never go to the trouble and expense to replace it, and only give you one key.

Plan ahead on the keys, you can get a blank key off e-bay for like $30 and then comparison shop the dealerships and maybe find one that will program them as cheap as $50.

I believe 2008 and earlier, if you have 2 working keys, you can program additional yourself using a procedure described in the owners manual. In 2010 they got rid of that feature, and you can only have a copy made by the dealer. NOT sure on the 2009.

What happens if you loose all the keys that your vehicle is suppose to be capable of using? The 7 or 8 that they designed the system to use? I can't believe that a vehicle becomes worthless and unable to drive again because you've lost all the keys that Chrysler limited you too in your design. BUT, I can't find anywhere what the solution would be. I'm guessing if you replaced several ECU's in the vehicle, you could reset it and be able to start over on your key count. BUT, configuring those ECU's would require the proprietary protocols, i.e. only the dealer could do it, and I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer charged you thousands to do this.

Read the Dealer Forum, make sure to do your homework before brining the vehicle in for servicing, better yet, take it too an independent shop for standard servicing. I guess with the bad economy, a lot of dealerships are trying to make up their losses by ripping off customers on servicing. There are several stories of people going in and just asking for standard 30k mile servicing and getting ripped off royally and being charged $1600. Ask on this forum, do your research, your owners manual will tell you exactly what you need to have done and at what mileage.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

I'll try to keep it simple. If you like it, and you won't be towing a heavy trailer buy it. It does not have 4 Lo but it has full time 4 wheel drive in High range only. Make them an offer. ... maybe 1000 below their asking price and settle for 500 below.

2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s , Rola Roof Rack, diy built spare tire mount for the roof rack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in