Piecing together fog light kit. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Points: 873, Level: 15 Points: 873, Level: 15 Points: 873, Level: 15
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Piecing together fog light kit.

First post after being a lurker for a while. I want to add fog lights to my Commander and wanted to see if piecing together the kit was a viable option. I have found a website that offers the multi-function switch w/ fog ability, so that is taken care of. Finding OEM fog housings is easy. I will put SilverStar Ultras in the fogs so bulbs don't really matter in this case. My one questions is that a fuse and relay seem to be the only other things that come in the Mopar kit, are they both just standard parts that I can pick up at Autozone or the such?

But if I should just get the kit, I will do so... I do know about the part of having to take it to the dealer to turn the option of fogs on in the computer system.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Well, I have located the install instructions. The multi-function switch, fog light assembly, 20amp fuse and relay seem to be the entirety of the kit. The only question I have now since I checked under the hood in the fuse box (integrated power module) is what the part number is for the relay. I have the 20 amp fuse in place currently without knowing but the relay is not installed. Any help since the instructions for this install seem to be for the Cherokee which I believe is the same.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 06:30 AM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
Hi Brad and welcome to The Forum.
I have some info for you I will send later this morning.
Didn't want you to think you were being ignored.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Benjamin Davis Pirtle
1990-2015

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Sounds great. Any bit of info is appreciated.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
Fog Lights
See if this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Benjamin Davis Pirtle
1990-2015
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2011, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, those were the install instructions that I had found. I ended up taking in the first page to O'Reilly's on my way home this afternoon and picked up the relay. Now one last thing is the OEM part number for the correct multi-function switch. I have located the one with the fog lights and the auto-light option but since I don't have the auto capability it seems like a waste. A few places offer the stalk apparently with the fog light option but no auto-lights. I just want to make sure that the multi-function switch came without the auto-lights but with the fogs.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Points: 4,437, Level: 42 Points: 4,437, Level: 42 Points: 4,437, Level: 42
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%

I called up my dealer and had them order the part because I used to know a guy there and I wanted to make sure I got the switch without the auto-headlights.

Since I replaced the multi-function switch, you must also have the dealer activate the foglights, unless of course you decide to use a separate aftermarket switch.

-JeepKid480

Commanders in the shop! Updates soon!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

I did the same thing actually. I will just have to wait now a few days for the switch to come in. I do know about the programming via a StarScan tool in order for the lights to turn on. A brief discussion with the shop manager about the minimal time it takes to do the job since I had the instruction sheet with me got the labor down pretty quickly since it takes all off 90 seconds to complete.

Thanks for the help everyone, I have used this forum as a resource with positive results.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Points: 8,478, Level: 62 Points: 8,478, Level: 62 Points: 8,478, Level: 62
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2009
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
2WD
Current Mileage: 207767
I went to my local dealership that used to starscan for $46 (Allen Samuels Chrsyler), and now they have joined the raping frenzy and are now charging $105 for anything. I may have to take the instructions in and see if that helps, because activating fogs is not rocket science.

Also, does anyone in Houston know of a dealer that will starscan for a decent price?

2009 Jeep Commander Sport 3.7L V6

Upgrades: K&N Filter, DRL's, Rear Handles, Curt Hitch, Steel Suspension Skid Plate, Fogs, Secure Console Cover, Bilstein 4600 Shocks (F/R), Moog Front/Rear Swaybar Links, Moog Front Swaybar Bushings, Moog Front Lower Control Arms, EBC Greenstuff Pads, Ignition Mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in