Feel shifts into drive and reverse - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Points: 177, Level: 3 Points: 177, Level: 3 Points: 177, Level: 3
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Feel shifts into drive and reverse

I have an 06 commander with the HEMI, Quadra Drive II, and 545fre trans. When I shift from park to reverse, then from neutral to drive it can feel it engage. It is similar to what it feels like to engage 4 low. This is only the second automatic I have owned, but the other one 08 commander V6, you can't feel anything when you shift into drive or reverse.

Is this normal?

I also get the same thing is I start coasting down a hill without pressing the gas. When it hits about 15-20 MPH it does the same thing. Also when I am slowing down sometimes around 15-20 MPH. It is under warranty and I am going in for service March 14, but I wanted to do some research so I am educated when going in. I don't know how many times I have been blown off in the past with the "That is normal for a jeep" line. The last one was a ticking in my TJ, and it turned out to be a bad lifter, so much for normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

I have the 4.7 and feel it every time I shift. I also feel the down shift at 15 to 20 MPH not sure if this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

in feel mine too

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Read this - print them out and take them to your dealer when you get service.

http://www.xkjeeps.com/xk_tsb.htm#TRANSMISSION
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Points: 177, Level: 3 Points: 177, Level: 3 Points: 177, Level: 3
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%

Thank you guys for the replies, so assume then the shifting into gear is normal then. Thank you for the link also, that is great!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

As the vehicle wears, it can develop lash in the drivetrain, either its various joints and components or the shock absorbing mounts of the components.

So, when you go from a state of no torque, relaxed, on the drivetrain, to a state of torque, twisting with resistance, in a new vehicle, there is no movement in the drivetrain and thus no noise or clunk vibration, but in a vehicle that has developed lash, that allows for a 1/8 turn of a driveshaft before the resistance stops it, that will creats some noise and clunk vibration. Or, the torque might move engine/trans or a front axle housing more than normal and produce the same thing.

You need to check over the whole drivetrain, inspect for lash at all the joints and replace the joints with lash, check all the mounts for the components look for degraded bushings and replace those.

2 ways to look at it;
  • It will come from natural wear on the vehicle and older vehicles will develop these clunks as they get older.
  • There is something worn out that needs replacement.
There are some common sense compromises to do with this as well, if its a matter of a couple dollar bushing, you can replace yourself, IMO fix it, if its worn splines on Xfer Case and cost thousands of dollars to fix it, I'd live with the clunk.

There is an argument that shock from the clunk will increase wear on the joints and mounts, and it will get progressively worse, but honestly, the drivetrain should be able to handle it, unless its so bad that the clunk really sounds like there is something really wrong with the vehicle.

Yes, Jeeps that more often have sophisticated 4WD systems compared to other vehicles, will have more of these joints and mounts to wear than most vehicles. So the dealer saying its a Jeep thing is part correct, BUT it is NOT a normal thing. Its a gray area of depending on degrees of how bad the clunk is and what is causing it, as too if its acceptable or NOT, which your dealer should NOT simply be dismissing it, he should be checking it and explaining to you the cause.

It could be simply a bad CV driveshaft or a bad front axle bushing, that they can replace quickly, and you could do yourself or a good independent shop can do fairly cheaply, rarely is anything cheap at a dealership. It might be a little bit of wear in all the joints and mounts in the drivetrain, and on a high mileage vehicle, probably normal wear, and thus it can NOT be fixed cheaply or quickly, you just need to live with it as part of a wearing vehicle that will NOT last forever.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65 Points: 9,538, Level: 65
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Overland
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 126000
I can feel it shift, but it still feels very solid doing it. On my LX cars, it was veerrry slow to shift - although smooth. The problem was that it almost felt unsafe to have such a delay in the name of protecting the trans.

I think the Jeep goes into gear more convincingly which was a life saver when I needed to "rock" it to get out of a tough spot.

2007 Overland with all the options (including boulder-kissed bumper)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in