Catalatic Converter Swap....Service Manual - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Catalatic Converter Swap....Service Manual

Im going to be swapping out my catalatic converters on friday and was wondering if anyone can get there hands on a Service Manual for a 2007 XK 4.7 Liter and send me the steps on how to replace it. I know what needs to be done, and it shouldnt be that hard but want to see if they show anything that might help make the process easier. I know some of the bolts are hard to get to. My bank two converter is bad (ruined from off roading) and I keep getting a CEL every few weeks which has been irritating me for a while now. My inspection is up this month so i'm going to swap out the converters so I have no problems passing inspection. Thanks in advance.

BTW...I tried using those links cico7 posted on those service manuals but they didnt work for me. Im not sure why.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Points: 7,842, Level: 59 Points: 7,842, Level: 59 Points: 7,842, Level: 59
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 33000
This is from the 08XK Chrysler manual. There is a diagram, but it won't paste.
I need to do the same thing this spring. Crunched a cat with a rock before I got my BellyGuard.

What did you pay for the cat assy?

4.7L ENGINE

WARNING: If torches are used when working on the exhaust system, do not allow the flame near the fuel lines.

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
2. Saturate the bolts and nuts with heat valve lubricant. Allow 5 minutes for penetration.
3. Remove transmission crossmember (Refer to 13 - FRAME & BUMPERS/FRAME/REAR CROSSMEMBER - REMOVAL).
4. Disconnect and mark oxygen sensor electrical connectors.
5. Remove steady rest bracket mounting bolt (5) from transmission.
6. Remove the nuts from the front exhaust pipe/catalytic converter assembly to muffler flange.
7. Remove bolts (2) and flanged nuts (1) at the exhaust manifold.
8. Remove the front exhaust pipe/catalytic converter assembly (3) from the vehicle.
9. Remove steady rest bracket (4) from front exhaust pipe/catalytic converter assembly (3).

4.7L ENGINE

1. Position steady rest bracket (4) onto the front exhaust pipe/catalytic converter assembly (3).
2. Position the front exhaust pipe/catalytic converter assembly (3) into vehicle.
3. Install the bolts (2) and nuts (1) at the front exhaust pipe/catalytic converter assembly (3) to exhaust manifold flange. Do not tighten.
4. Install the nuts at the front exhaust pipe/catalytic converter assembly to muffler flange. Do not tighten.
5. Position the exhaust pipe for proper clearance with the frame and underbody parts. A minimum clearance of 25.4 mm (1.0 in.) is required.
6. Tighten front exhaust pipe/catalytic converter assembly to exhaust manifold bolts (2) to 26 Nm (19 in. lbs.) torque.
7. Tighten the front exhaust pipe and catalytic converter assembly to muffler flange nuts to 47 Nm (35 ft. lbs.) torque.
8. Install steady rest bracket bolts. Tighten bolts to 47 Nm (35 ft. lbs.).
9. Connect oxygen sensor electrical connectors.
10. Install transmission crossmember (Refer to 13 - FRAME & BUMPERS/FRAME/REAR CROSSMEMBER - INSTALLATION)
11. Lower vehicle.
12. Start the vehicle and inspect for exhaust leaks. Repair exhaust leaks as necessary.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!!!!

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

The XK is back together but need a wiring diagram showing where the passenger side o2 sensors connect. I think I might have get them mixed up when I was reinstalling everything. Thanks again. It wouldnt let me see wiring diagrams on the Service manual Sal sent by PM. Its listed under component index in wiring section under sensor-oxygen left front / left rear / right front / right rear.

Last edited by 07JeepXK; 03-12-2011 at 03:18 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Points: 7,842, Level: 59 Points: 7,842, Level: 59 Points: 7,842, Level: 59
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 33000
To view the wiring diagrams, make sure you install the SVG viewer shown on the Home page.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

From what I read you need IE6 for that to work. I'm running windows 7 and IE8 the wiring diagram never worked for me. I've installed the SVG viewer and upgraded it from adobe nothing works. I haven't tried down grading to IE6 yet I'm sure that will be a PITA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

I dont need the wiring diagrams anymore. I'm 100% positive that I plugged the o2 sensors into the right clips. Im currently having a problem though. Hoping you guys can help me out. After installing the brand new catalatic converters and (4) brand new Bosch o2 sensors, I started the XK and right away I noticed something wasnt right. I had a very rough idle and it almsot sounded like the engine was going to cut off. I ended up getting a few CEL codes......P0137 o2 sensor 1/2 circuit low and P0157 o2 sensor 2/2 circuit low. I cleared both codes and let the engine run for about 15 minutes. I then took the XK for a ride and everytime I would stop at a light, the engine would cut off. It was having a problem idling. While driving around I ended up getting two more codes. P0172 Fuel system rich and P0300 Multiple cylinder misfires. Those codes eventually cleared them selves out of the system. All I did was disconnect the negative battery cable, take off transfer case skit, transmission crossmember, unbolted the converters from the manifold and muffler end and unclip the old o2 sensors. Then I reinstalled all the new parts to include new cat and o2 sensors. I didnt mess with anything else during the process. A friend of mine told me to call and find out if the new o2 sensor were heated sensors. They confirmed they were. Im not sure why that matters but I guess they have to get to a certain temp before they will send a reading???? I was then told to tune the XK back to stock settings with the Flashpaq and drive it around for a while so the computer could re lean everthing with the new cats and o2 sensors. Does this sound normal after replacing what I replaced? Any help is greatly appreciated. I just drove it around this morning to go to the bank and it seems to be doing a little better. All I can think of is it either needs to re learn everything since new new parts were installed and the battery was disconnected or maybe it has something to do with the new o2 sensors. I bought them from two different stores because the one store didnt have them. All four were the exact same part number listed for my engine. Jeep states all four o2 sensors on my vehicle are the same part number also. I know some vehicles have different sensors for pre and post cats.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

That must be some generic picture out of a different service manual or something. Doesnt help me at all seeing how I have 1 o2 sensor on the drivers side and the other 3 are on the passenger side. Anyways it doesnt matter. Already figured that out. Need to figure out why its not running properly after replacing the cats ans o2 sensors. Where is robby when you need him.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

You needed to disconnect the battery so the system can relearn the new parts. This sounds normal to me and I have done this myself after making changes and finally got the results I was looking for. It should take some miles to settle in but you should see it getting better as time goes by. Remember the fuel air and timing get adjusted in part by what the O2 sensor is sending the computer.

Stop by and like the page

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Just drove the XK about 70 miles on back roads out in the counrty going up and down huge hills and it drove perfectly. Headed back towards home hitting a few stop light and slow driving in parking lots and it started acting up again and the CEL came on. I just dont understand. My brother mentioned bringing it to his work tomorrow and doing a quick learn on it. Not exactly sure what that it but im at the point where i might just drop it off in the dealer and have them mess with it. Going back out now to put some more miles on it to see if the CEL will go out on its own. Anymore help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in