Going from Perfect to Worse Ever - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
General Commander Discussion General Discussion involving the Jeep Commander goes here. If it does not fit into a more specific category below, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Going from Perfect to Worse Ever

Your original comment 'post here first' was right so please pardon if you find this post under another topic.

I purchased a 07 Commander Sport from Jeep/Chry dealer last April 2010 with 13K miles. It had just come off a lease in Michigan. Price was at high end but it was showroom condition. Still under factory warranty - which expired in Aug due to the 36 month time but is still under powertrain warranty. Since my purchase, it has been in the service dept more than in my drive way.

Since last April, Radio replace/cracked speakers - passenger seatbelt tearing in half - passenger airbag sensor not working - a/c not blowing cold or blows ice - engine not shifting or delay in excellerating - hesitates/doesn't excellerate on demand - loosing power (but not stalling) in the middle of traffic light (very scary) - replaced starter & cables - 2 computer modules - park assist service error message (w/loud siren when shifting from Rev to Drive) - 13 mpg - slow/delay braking distance - replaced catalytic converter - flooding in the front door wells - points/plug-tuneup - overheating - engine light/computer misreading - voltage error. I know I've probably left a few items out but, I'm certain you get the story.

I've contacted Jeep/Chry and they are paying 50% of the repairs for the park assist and a EGR ? valve which is still going to be $600.

Has anyone else had this much trouble or can anyone advise me on what other problems I can expect? I'm a grandmother so being safe is an important issue and I worry this is going to be an on-going issue. On the other hand, after all this I'll basically have a new car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

Wow. I think that you may have perchance got a lemon. Did you enquire as to who was the original owner? It sounds like that, despite "showroom condition" (car detailers can work wonders, you know), the beast has been flogged to death and did a hard 13K. On the other hand, it could be a Monday-built vehicle and you are just plain unlucky. Seatbelt tearing in half ???? Double Wow. I have had mine for nearly 5 years now and have had nothing like that number of problems (although don't get me started on the Diesel Particulate Filter dramas). Perhaps you should trade it in for another one?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

I am sorry to hear of all of your issues. You need a dependable ride for the grand kids.
Water in the foot wells can indicate plugged sun roof drains. Do you have a sun roof? Otherwise, it can be bad door seals. The door seals are actually the roof gutter on the Commander!
Cracked speakers would indicate that the previous owner played the radio too loud! There would be no indication of this (usually) unless you turn up the volume. Thus, dealer could have hid this from you.
With all of these issues, run a carfax on your Jeep. Coming from Michigan, they use a lot of salt on the roads which can play havoc with the electronics. Since most of these problems are electronic in nature, you need to find out if the Jeep was ever involved in a flood. Air bag sensor: salt or previous accident?
If these pre-existing conditions were known by the dealer - the carfax will show this - then dealer owes you a comparable vehicle.
Get the carfax on your own, not through your dealer. Depending on how the report comes out, take it to your lawyer.
I have a couple of electronic issues with mine, but they seem to come and go at will, and have, as yet, not caused me any major issues.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79 Points: 14,892, Level: 79
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

Buying a 3.5 year old vehicle with 13K miles, makes me wonder why only those few miles. I know there are a few people who only drive these on Sundays to climb rocks or to church, but not many. If something seems too good to be true, chances are there is something wrong.

That said, have you had these problems satisfactorily repaired? Your last statement leads me to think yes. If yes, then you probably are ok for a long time, as long as it doesn't have something nasty in its history like being in a flood.

I have an 07 Limited (in Michigan as well) and I have had only 2 problems and I have about 98,000 miles on it. I had to have some module replaced in the heater/ac blower and a gas line replaced. Other than those 2 items, everything else has been recommended maintenance at appropriate (or close) intervals.

2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s , Rola Roof Rack, diy built spare tire mount for the roof rack.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13 Points: 657, Level: 13
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%

Thanks to everyone for their responses - no the repairs have not been as satisfactory as they could be. Dealer is one of the worse to work with and actually had me sit for 6 hours while they tried to get me financed with one of those horrible paper shops - after I had told them I already had financing through my bank. Then they really didn't want me to drive it to the bank for them to look over. They've had to eat a good portion of the repairs and have covered rentals and loaner cars. On the other hand, I had to take my Jeep back to them a number of times complaining something was going wrong before it went out completely. This has just been a horrible experience and I'm taking it to carmax and trading as soon as I get it back.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Points: 6,156, Level: 51 Points: 6,156, Level: 51 Points: 6,156, Level: 51
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

Wow. That really stinks. Sorry about your troubles. We all have had some, but very few have had the number you have. Keep us posted on what happens...

Black 2006 Limited 5.7
Rocky Road 2.25" Lift,
Spidertrax 1.5" Wheel Spacers,
265/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T RH-S
Gibson 3" SS Exhaust
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
Since most misery is born of failed expectations let us learn to minimize expectations so that we will feel far less guilt and disappointment.

Set your lights lower, expect less...you can not fail or be dissappointed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Benjamin Davis Pirtle
1990-2015
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
Since most misery is born of failed expectations let us learn to minimize expectations so that we will feel far less guilt and disappointment.

Now, I feel so low I have to look up to look down. Thank you.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2 Points: 124, Level: 2
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cico7 View Post

Ain't you a cheery little ray of sunshine this morning?

Sounds like a mantra for the great unwashed - I won't try, therefore I can't fail - but I demand that my neighbour provide for me, so it don't matter anyhows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > General Commander Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in